PDA

View Full Version : Photographing interiors with Nikkor 90mm SW on 5x7...advice

Larry Kellogg
1-Apr-2014, 19:13
Hello,
It looks like I will get the chance to photograph some interiors on an upcoming trip. I'm bringing along a 5x7 camera. Should I try to make use of a Nikkor 90mm SW f/8, or stick to a 180mm Fujinon.

Larry

Leszek Vogt
2-Apr-2014, 01:24
Larry, I thought 120mm was wide enough (24mm @35mm equiv)...though I'm new to 5x7. If the lens covers the 5x7 with some movements....then it would be worth trying IMO.

Les

hoffner
2-Apr-2014, 01:35
Try using a viewing frame "in some interiors" to see for yourself.

Francisco J. Fernández
2-Apr-2014, 02:01
I guess that question will depend on which lens you have and also the proportions of those spaces and interiors. The dimensions and depth influence the way you see your image.
I think the idea of a 120 mm is a great idea. 90 mm ​​to 13x18 cm, equivalent to 18 mm in 35 mm format (perhaps be excessive).

The decision must be taken thinking that you have available lenses and few of them are willing to walk.

Will my choice? 120mm, 150 mm, and 210 mm (the three together in my bag)

rfesk
2-Apr-2014, 03:59
It is worth trying for some situations. And maybe a necessity in others. A 120 would be more versatile. I suggest you do a set up inside a building and see for yourself (using the ground glass) what you will run into.

Larry Kellogg
2-Apr-2014, 04:41
Thanks for all the responses. My 125mm lens is a Fujinon W that barely covers 5x7. The Nikkor 90mm SW f/8 has a lot of coverage for 5x7 with its 235mm image circle. I really don't know the dimensions of the rooms I'll be trying to photograph, so it's a little hard to know which lenses to bring. I'm trying to avoid bringing every lens I own. ;-) I was going to go with 180, 240, 300, and 450, but now it seems like I need something towards the wider side.

Larry

Carl J
2-Apr-2014, 10:22
Francesco, just curious, what 150mm are you using for 5x7? Thanks.

I guess that question will depend on which lens you have and also the proportions of those spaces and interiors. The dimensions and depth influence the way you see your image.
I think the idea of a 120 mm is a great idea. 90 mm ​​to 13x18 cm, equivalent to 18 mm in 35 mm format (perhaps be excessive).

The decision must be taken thinking that you have available lenses and few of them are willing to walk.

Will my choice? 120mm, 150 mm, and 210 mm (the three together in my bag)

Bernice Loui
2-Apr-2014, 19:34
The 90mm f8 SW Nikkor will cover 5x7 as the image circle with an spec'ed image circle of 235mm @f22, required IC about 210mm. Beyond this, more often than not, photographing interiors with a view camera will more often than not require a bag bellows to allow sufficient camera movement using a wide angle lens.

Better focal length choices could be:

110mm Symmar XL, 115mm Grandagon, 120mm Super Angulon and others.
A 150mm wide angle also works well depending on the image needs.

Light fall off can be a problem, more significant with shorter focal lengths.

Normal lens for "normal perspective" images and the longer focal lengths work for isolating details.

In all cases, make sure to level the tripod, then level the camera before working on the composition. If the tripod is not level, making any rotational adjustments of the camera will alter it's position and cause frustration. Same with leveling the camera. Both of these basic steps will significantly reduce frustration and problem in the process.

Bernice

Thanks for all the responses. My 125mm lens is a Fujinon W that barely covers 5x7. The Nikkor 90mm SW f/8 has a lot of coverage for 5x7 with its 235mm image circle. I really don't know the dimensions of the rooms I'll be trying to photograph, so it's a little hard to know which lenses to bring. I'm trying to avoid bringing every lens I own. ;-) I was going to go with 180, 240, 300, and 450, but now it seems like I need something towards the wider side.

Larry

Mark Sampson
2-Apr-2014, 20:37
A 90/8 Nikkor-SW was my 'normal' lens for photographing interiors for a long time... on 4x5. I also used a 75/4.5 Nikkor-SW; there were times when the wider lens was necessary (kitchens, bathrooms). If your camera will let you use movements with a 90, it will work just fine for your intended use. Just be careful where you place the camera... but that's always good advice, just like Bernice's advice above.

Bernice Loui
2-Apr-2014, 22:01
+90 :)

90mm wide angle & bag bellows is a go-to set-up for interiors with 4x5. The angle of view is not excessive for interior images, the image circle with bag bellows allows plenty of camera movement making the best of working space allotted.

This focal length is a wide angle basic for 4x5.

Bernice

A 90/8 Nikkor-SW was my 'normal' lens for photographing interiors for a long time... on 4x5. I also used a 75/4.5 Nikkor-SW; there were times when the wider lens was necessary (kitchens, bathrooms). If your camera will let you use movements with a 90, it will work just fine for your intended use. Just be careful where you place the camera... but that's always good advice, just like Bernice's advice above.

Larry Kellogg
3-Apr-2014, 07:02
Thanks for all the good advice. I have a set of bag bellows for my 4x5 but not for the 5x7, sadly. Where can I get bag bellows for a Wisner 5x7? My front standard has a sliding panel, so I can still get rise and fall when the camera bellows are compressed.

Larry

Robert Langham
3-Apr-2014, 10:17
Tough to get those 90s to work with 5X7- bellows and controls just too compressed. If you do get them lined up it seems like there is always something lurking in a dark corner that you didn't see. 120mm Super Angulons much better, and a 110mm Super Angulon a great addition.

Chaco Interior with 120mm Super Angulon. I got up as far as I could, standing on my hard case.

Larry Kellogg
4-Apr-2014, 08:09
Robert,
Nice photograph. Unfortunately, I don't have time to buy a 120mm Super Angulon. I was not planning on doing any interiors on this trip and this kind of fell in my lap.

Here is a picture of the 90mm mounted on the Wisner 5x7. I can focus on a ceiling lamp about seven feet from the camera, and I have some fall by using that inset panel on the front standard. So, should I pack the lens? ;-) It might be a much better bet than my 125 with limited coverage. Take both?

Larry

Bernice Loui
4-Apr-2014, 19:15
If you're not sure what might be involved with making images for this interior project, bring both the 90mm & 125mm even it it's coverage is extremely limited. It might make the difference between something good or focal length frustration. That 125mm is not that large or bulky to bring.. Why not?

BTW, that looks awful similar to the Wisner in my pile of foot stuff.

Bernice

Robert,
Nice photograph. Unfortunately, I don't have time to buy a 120mm Super Angulon. I was not planning on doing any interiors on this trip and this kind of fell in my lap.

Here is a picture of the 90mm mounted on the Wisner 5x7. I can focus on a ceiling lamp about seven feet from the camera, and I have some fall by using that inset panel on the front standard. So, should I pack the lens? ;-) It might be a much better bet than my 125 with limited coverage. Take both?

Larry

Larry Kellogg
5-Apr-2014, 02:13
Bernice,
Yeah, I'm bringing 90, 125, and 180 Fujinon f/9 A. The Fujinon lenses are amazingly small and light.

Do you have a 5x7 Wisner? I think this is some prototype Pocket Expediton but I'm not sure.
It weighs only 5.4 pounds! The light weight is what got me to step up from my 4x5 Wisner.

Larry

Francisco J. Fernández
5-Apr-2014, 02:39
Hello,
It looks like I will get the chance to photograph some interiors on an upcoming trip. I'm bringing along a 5x7 camera. Should I try to make use of a Nikkor 90mm SW f/8, or stick to a 180mm Fujinon.

Larry

Hi Larry, I see that we each have different ideas and different teams. I also believe that all our reviews you are going to create confusion and headache.
I think it's best to follow your intuition ... talk about 90 mm ​​and 180 mm ... ok used both and do not complicate life.

Greetings.

hoffner
5-Apr-2014, 06:38
Yeah, I'm bringing 90, 125, and 180 Fujinon f/9 A. The Fujinon lenses are amazingly small and light.

Larry

We all are now relieved!