PDA

View Full Version : After Calumet

Randy Moe
25-Mar-2014, 14:14
I just got a FB post about the after Calumet actions.

All I have now is the FB group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/477998195655538/

This is one of the posts.

'The rest comes from Bill Skinner:

"Great News! I have a new job with CalPhoto US. We are currently working on opening multiple stores and will release details as they become available. Looking forward to working with Chicagoland photographers again!"'

Randy Moe
28-Mar-2014, 13:50
I got in trouble over there on FB, seems they want pity...

I pity the employees not management. Been there, lost my job too.

r_a_feldman
13-May-2014, 06:44
Calumet has been acquired by C&A Marketing and has reopened a store in Oak Brook Illinois. More information is at http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/05/09/calumet-oak-brook-illinois-store-reopens-this-sunday?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_11.

Bob

Richard Wasserman
13-May-2014, 07:57
I wouldn't get my hopes up, C&A owns some interesting companies— http://camarketing.com/brands/

Andrew O'Neill
13-May-2014, 10:18
So, they own Polaroid and sell expired Polroid as well as IP film?

Richard Wasserman
13-May-2014, 10:24
And Ritz Camera and jumbl...

Randy Moe
13-May-2014, 11:52
Calumet?

Who's that?

Richard Wasserman
13-May-2014, 12:27
Calumet hasn't been the Calumet of memory for quite a while, I'm afraid they're gone forever.

John Kasaian
13-May-2014, 12:41
So what drove the last nail into Calumet's coffin? I'd suspect the internet. Having stores in many major cities for commercial photographers---a Denny's for photographers who get paid if you will, seems like a sound niche. Since Calumet sold digital stuff I wouldn't pin the rap on film.

Randy Moe
13-May-2014, 13:08
They also never had a good website with accurate inventory. Even in store at Goose Island, they never knew what they had in the back on computer, so it would be 20 minutes while they searched the warehouse.

So what drove the last nail into Calumet's coffin? I'd suspect the internet. Having stores in many major cities for commercial photographers---a Denny's for photographers who get paid if you will, seems like a sound niche. Since Calumet sold digital stuff I wouldn't pin the rap on film.

IanG
13-May-2014, 13:21
Calumet are going strong in Europe, no issues.

Ian

Drew Wiley
13-May-2014, 15:19
That's about all they did, John ... sell digital stuff specifically for studio use. They gave up on the rest of us just too soon. And at that point, they were basically
competing against consumer electronics suppliers without the knowhow for that kind of down and dirty food fight. I once used Calumet rather frequently, and it
certainly wasn't for their pricing. Then they never seemed to have anything I needed.

evan clarke
13-May-2014, 15:40
HA! Camera stores quit film and customers quit the stores. Camera stores embraced digital because it was an easy sale during the frenzy. Customers no longer needed to come in for film, developing and prints....no need to browse the merchandise while they were there. The camera stores deserve this..

Drew Wiley
13-May-2014, 16:09
Well, the camera store down the street here is not only doing well, but has just undergone a major expansion, precisely because they still do cater to both. You can
get your all your digital/shmigital supplies and handle the latest DLSR, or pick up darkroom paper, chem, or a good selection of film (including sheet film). Lots of people go in there to order film prints ("photofinishing", not big expensive lab prints). They even have rental darkrooms, with introductory classes. Otherwise, you've
got to compete with internet and brick and mortar electronics stores, which is damn near impossible. They're dime a dozen.

Richard Wasserman
13-May-2014, 16:24
I had this conversation with the manager of Calumet's Chicago store shortly after they started abandoning film for digital. He admitted that digital wasn't really sustainable and that they were trying to figure out a new business model. i guess it didn't go too well...

HA! Camera stores quit film and customers quit the stores. Camera stores embraced digital because it was an easy sale during the frenzy. Customers no longer needed to come in for film, developing and prints....no need to browse the merchandise while they were there. The camera stores deserve this..

Frank Pittel
13-May-2014, 17:50

The problem for the Camera stores is that the consumables are all commodity items and there's no compelling reason to go to a camera store to buy. The biggest competition for consumables for the Calumet store in Oak Brook was Microcenter and Microcenter destroyed them in availability and pricing!

Scott Davis
14-May-2014, 10:59
Well, the camera store down the street here is not only doing well, but has just undergone a major expansion, precisely because they still do cater to both. You can
get your all your digital/shmigital supplies and handle the latest DLSR, or pick up darkroom paper, chem, or a good selection of film (including sheet film). Lots of people go in there to order film prints ("photofinishing", not big expensive lab prints). They even have rental darkrooms, with introductory classes. Otherwise, you've
got to compete with internet and brick and mortar electronics stores, which is damn near impossible. They're dime a dozen.

Drew- which store is this? I get out to SF periodically and it would be nice to know of an option to soup some film before flying home so I don't have to run unprocessed film through carry-on Xray more than I have to.

Bob Salomon
14-May-2014, 11:06
Drew- which store is this? I get out to SF periodically and it would be nice to know of an option to soup some film before flying home so I don't have to run unprocessed film through carry-on Xray more than I have to.

Sounds like Looking Glass in Berkley

Action Camera in Roseville also recently expanded and so did Cameras West in Walnut Creek.

Must be the mountain air out there!

cyrus
23-May-2014, 22:18
Well, while I am sad to see any pro camera store shut down, I have to say I scored some great deals at their going out of business sale in NYC

There's a 2400 watt pack going for $1650ish and $1000 Creo heads going for around $300

tgtaylor
24-May-2014, 07:29
Calumet is back! http://www.calumetphoto.com/

Thomas

Bob Salomon
24-May-2014, 09:35
Calumet is back! http://www.calumetphoto.com/

Thomas

Not what it looks like.

C&A, the owner of Ritz, Wolf, Inkleys, Polaroid and some others, won the auction and is now Calumet.

The old Calumet, who lost the auction, is trying to re-open as CalPhoto US.

Calumet International is the EU operation of the former Calumet in the USA.

Tracy Storer
24-May-2014, 10:03
Bob is connected !
It's got to be Looking Glass Photo in Berkeley. The new store is much bigger, good people.
T

Sounds like Looking Glass in Berkley

Action Camera in Roseville also recently expanded and so did Cameras West in Walnut Creek.

Must be the mountain air out there!

Shootar401
24-May-2014, 10:27
A guy on another forum had some rental gear from Calumet and he tried to return it not knowing they were closed. He said he kept what he wanted and sold the rest on eBay, since, in his words "I made an effort to return the stuff, they were out of business, I can't return anything if they are not around anymore, so as far as I'm concerned I own it now"

I wonder how that will turn out for him? He has a valid point.

Bob Salomon
24-May-2014, 11:39
A guy on another forum had some rental gear from Calumet and he tried to return it not knowing they were closed. He said he kept what he wanted and sold the rest on eBay, since, in his words "I made an effort to return the stuff, they were out of business, I can't return anything if they are not around anymore, so as far as I'm concerned I own it now"

He has no point. He signed a rental agreement that spells out who the equipment belongs to and what happens if it is not returned. The rental equipment belongs to the company and its successors and he is fully responsible for its return.

Leigh
22-Jun-2014, 06:30
He has absolutely NO valid point.

That equipment belongs to Calumet as a corporation, under whatever name.

The renter is fully responsible for return of the equipment to the corporation or its agent.
If the corporation is in bankruptcy, that agent is a bankruptcy court or a court-appointed attorney.

That boy has dug himself a really deep hole.

- Leigh

Don Dudenbostel
22-Jun-2014, 19:40
Customer service was terrible. I fooled around trying to get a new Hasselblad digital back through their Chicago store fore three weeks. I was dealing with the digital department manager. He never flowed up on our conversation and never procured the back I was ready to buy. In the end I placed the order with B&H and had the back in three days.

Going into their San Francisco store I found they had almost no inventory. Folks need jobs and we need good suppliers.

I hate to see any store close but it was no surprise.

Hopefully this time they'll get their act together.

Scott Davis
23-Jun-2014, 07:42
The former Calumet, from what I understand, had a clueless CEO who was trying to run a brick-and-mortar business on an online model. He wanted to have only display samples in stores and make everyone order everything from the warehouse. Which is a lousy way to run a business because nobody wants to order stuff they expected you to have when they walked in the store, even moreso when you can't deliver it in a timely fashion and can't tell the customer when it is coming either because your credit is so poor you have to rob peter to pay paul to submit your orders to vendors.

HMG
23-Jun-2014, 08:26
The former Calumet, from what I understand, had a clueless CEO who was trying to run a brick-and-mortar business on an online model. He wanted to have only display samples in stores and make everyone order everything from the warehouse. Which is a lousy way to run a business because nobody wants to order stuff they expected you to have when they walked in the store, even moreso when you can't deliver it in a timely fashion and can't tell the customer when it is coming either because your credit is so poor you have to rob peter to pay paul to submit your orders to vendors.

Probably not an unreasonable business model - for 1985. But I've seen many brick and mortar shops that are slow to come to the realization that you can order from Amazon (or B&H) and easily have it in your hands in 2 days. B&M stores have a valid complaint about people who look at merchandise with intent to order online if they decide to buy, but not if they don't have it in stock.

HMG
23-Jun-2014, 08:31
He has absolutely NO valid point.

That equipment belongs to Calumet as a corporation, under whatever name.

The renter is fully responsible for return of the equipment to the corporation or its agent.
If the corporation is in bankruptcy, that agent is a bankruptcy court or a court-appointed attorney.

That boy has dug himself a really deep hole.

- Leigh

Depends on the rental agreement but my guess is that he is on the hook for the new price of the equipment. He might have a case if there was loss or damage beyond his reasonable control. But selling it after just a few months is dishonest.