PDA

View Full Version : Best location in Redwood NP?

Larry Mendenhall
30-Sep-2004, 07:54
I'll have a short amount of time, probably a day and a half, to do some shooting in the either the Del Norte Coast Redwoods Area or the Jedediah Smith Redwood State Park.

Can anyone recommend some good locations in either of these area?

Thanks!

Larry

Mike Lopez
30-Sep-2004, 08:10
Jedediah Smith has a few nice groves which are marked from the road. It also fronts the Smith River, which is scenic.

Eric Woodbury
30-Sep-2004, 10:07
The Smith R is very nice, but I think Jed Smith is 2nd growth so you don't see the really big trees and you see stumps. If you are driving from the south, get off the 101 and drive the Redwood Highway, Avenue of the Giants as much as possible. In Redwood NP, Fern Canyon is nice, as are the groves along old highway just north of the campground and the meadow with the elk.

QT Luong
30-Sep-2004, 14:09
One of my favorites is the Damnation Creek trail in Del Norte. There are nice big trees and ferns, and the trail is hilly, which gives you more composition options. It leads to a deserted black sand beach. For sunsets, my favorite is the False Klamath Cove, which has lots of small rounded rocks for foreground and a few distant seastacks. see www.terragalleria.com/parks/np.redwood.html

Larry Mendenhall
1-Oct-2004, 12:29
Thanks for the help, guys. It's a big help to try and pinpoint where I want to go.

Larry

james mickelson
2-Oct-2004, 23:27
One word of caution. Be very careful where you go this time of year off trail. Even a few hundred yards offtrail can lead to great danger. Booby traps and even gun shots can ruin your shooting. This from experience. I love the Avenue of the Giants for a days worth of shooting. Lots of interesting angles and the Eel River is nice for a swim.