PDA

View Full Version : Rapatronic Magnetic shutter, 1/100,000,000th/sec

Brian C. Miller
6-Mar-2014, 15:50
PetaPixel: Rapatronic Camera: An Atomic Blast Shot at 1/100,000,000th of a Second (http://petapixel.com/2014/03/05/rapatronic-camera-atomic-blast-captured-11000000000th-second/)

Check out the Burke & James! (Or maybe Cambo. It looks like my Orbit. Hmmm, I saw Adams using it, and now this! Man, my camera gets around, almost like a garden gnome!)

That's a fantastic shutter for a camera! The magnetic shutter actuates for as little as 10 nanoseconds, rotating polarizing filters.
I also wonder where that 120-inch lens went to. That would be an awesome, if a bit unwieldy, lens!

Now, let's all chant the mantra: location, time, and the right light! ;) (How I learned to stopped worrying and learned to love my suntan...)

Tin Can
6-Mar-2014, 15:59
I always look at those images and think I have never seen anything that ugly.

Oh, great photography, but the subject is inherently ugly.

hoffner
7-Mar-2014, 06:17

Then, looking at the Sun, you must be disgusted? It's full of "the subject".

Tin Can
7-Mar-2014, 06:55
Then, looking at the Sun, you must be disgusted? It's full of "the subject".

You may be blind from staring at the Sun.

pasiasty
7-Mar-2014, 07:01
It would be really interesting to participate in a photography project with budget close to what they had.

Jmarmck
7-Mar-2014, 07:43
Well light availability certainly was not an issue with those shutter speeds. I have one of those cameras too but I have not found that shutter speed yet. Is there a button behind the compur shutter I am unaware of?

TBH, that subject matter is truly ugly, but only because of its use and the changes it has made on this planet. Particularly it use as a tool of fear.

hoffner
7-Mar-2014, 08:08
You may be blind from staring at the Sun.

You must be even blinder not to see it beautiful.

Ari
7-Mar-2014, 09:10
I always look at those images and think I have never seen anything that ugly.

Well light availability certainly was not an issue with those shutter speeds. I have one of those cameras too but I have not found that shutter speed yet. Is there a button behind the compur shutter I am unaware of?

TBH, that subject matter is truly ugly, but only because of its use and the changes it has made on this planet. Particularly it use as a tool of fear.

That's like saying a car or a cookie is inherently ugly because of the potential ill-effects.

Vaughn
7-Mar-2014, 09:11
Beautiful -- no. It is as ugly as a photograph of piled bodies of some genocidal act...no matter how tastefully one piles the bodies and how well chosen the camera angle is.

But it is still an incredible image. There is a SF short story that I remember that was probably written based on these photos, or at least on the concept if the writer never saw the images. Basically, in the story the photos revel the face of the Lord of Hell in the atomic explosion.

Jmarmck
7-Mar-2014, 10:22
That's like saying a car or a cookie is inherently ugly because of the potential ill-effects.

And that is an invalid argument as cars or cookies were not developed with the intensions to kill millions of people.
Yes the images are intriguing and beautiful from a purely physical approach but they are ghastly when the use is considered.

BTW that looks like a Calumet CC-401.

djdister
7-Mar-2014, 11:00
What is the Large Format Photography Forum all about?

The purpose of the forum is to provide a place for discussion of topics of particular interest to large format photographers. We especially encourage questions which will help build a repository of knowledge about the tools and techniques of large format photography, as opposed to "shopping" questions. For the purposes of this forum, we define "large format" as being essentially 4x5, or larger, sheet film. We do, however, allow what would otherwise be considered "medium format" sizes, IF exposed in a view camera (e.g. with a roll-film adapter), technical, or old-style press camera (e.g. the various Graphic cameras).

The forum is organized into sub-forums, similar to the "categories" of the old text-based LF Forum. Posts can be viewed either within the sub-forum hierarchy or through a "unified view" that shows the individual posts of the last 30 days in the sequence of most-recently modified. The sub-forums include:

This thread --> Cameras & Camera Accessories - Large format cameras of all types and sizes. (Note: lenses and lens accessories have their own sub-forum.)

hoffner
7-Mar-2014, 11:19
It is indeed interesting that for his rapatronic magnetic shutter he used, well - a normal LF camera of his time.

Jody_S
7-Mar-2014, 11:35
I did a brief search to see if I could find a picture of the camera & lens (especially). No luck. Has anyone else seen one?

pasiasty
7-Mar-2014, 11:38
http://webmuseum.mit.edu/detail.php?t=objects&type=browse&f=maker&s=Edgerton%2C+Germeshausen+and+Grier%2C+Inc.&record=8
http://edgerton-digital-collections.org/techniques/rapatronic-shutter

fecaleagle
7-Mar-2014, 14:45
Were the images shot with multiple cameras and lenses? I understand the shutter actuation, but how were three pictures taken in sequence at those intervals with one camera given the requirements of swapping/rolling through film?

Tin Can
7-Mar-2014, 14:50
Many cameras, the budget was unlimited for these projects.

Brian C. Miller
7-Mar-2014, 21:40
Were the images shot with multiple cameras and lenses? I understand the shutter actuation, but how were three pictures taken in sequence at those intervals with one camera given the requirements of swapping/rolling through film?

From reading through the links, there were 10 cameras set up for each shot. The shutters were sequenced electronically.