PDA

View Full Version : expired color film question

Aerial
24-Feb-2014, 15:04
I recently put a 10 sheet box of Kodak 8x10 Pro100T C-41 film on Ebay. I stressed that I could not guarantee anything except the box was unopened, expiration date was 6/2001. I was very surprised to see it bid up to $68! My question is why would anyone want to pay good money for expired film. My experience, especially with color neg, is contrast, base fog and color all suffer. Interestingly, old film with a latent image seems to age better than old un-exposed film. Is there a modified process or artsy use for the stuff?:confused:

vinny
24-Feb-2014, 15:10
there aren't any tungsten sheet films which are still manufactured.

jcoldslabs
24-Feb-2014, 17:26
Also, some people, including myself, like the look of expired color films under certain circumstances, reduced contrast, color shifts and all. And some emulsions hold up surprisingly well, especially if they have been frozen for long periods of storage. I shot some ten year-old Portra and it looked great with the exception of a bit of edge fog.

That said, I would not have paid $7.00/sheet for film as old as you were selling. I've managed to pick up a few 50 sheet boxes of 10 year-old 8x10 Ektachrome for around $50 each over the years.

Jonathan

Nathan Potter
24-Feb-2014, 18:15
Did anyone ask if it was stored in a freezer? If not, it might still be useful for tungsten exposures using some significant Photoshop color and contrast correction unless it was really cooked.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

jnantz
24-Feb-2014, 18:33
i only use expired emulsions
lots of fun can be had with them...
and with PS possibilities are
pretty much endless ...

StoneNYC
24-Feb-2014, 18:42
A lot of people who are into "Lomo" are not familiar with film and often don't even know you can just get fresh film at B&H.

Other people with money to burn like experimenting wht abstract stuff which doesn't require color accuracy.

Personally I don't get abstract art that much, but hey it sometimes allows people to spend money on new film once they sell the old stuff, which is good.

Daniel Stone
24-Feb-2014, 21:00
I've used 12-15yr old "expired" color film (both E-6 and C-41) that was well stored(preferably in a fridge, freezer(best), or even in a cool(and consistently cool) basement).

Usually some color cast, or lack of speed, but if buying in bulk(like 20+ sheets), shooting a few to test things out allows me to test things before committing to more important shots.

-Dan

jnantz
25-Feb-2014, 06:33
A lot of people who are into "Lomo" are not familiar with film and often don't even know you can just get fresh film at B&H.

Other people with money to burn like experimenting wht abstract stuff which doesn't require color accuracy.

Personally I don't get abstract art that much, but hey it sometimes allows people to spend money on new film once they sell the old stuff, which is good.

naaah

plenty of people who shoot holgas and lomos and low-fi cameras ( box cameras, pinhole cameras &c ) know
you can get fresh film at b+h or urban outfitters, or calumet or ebay, or freestyle but whats the point when expired film
still works, and is dirt cheap and if the colors are off it really isn't that hard to fix.

and with PS possibilities are pretty much endless ...
meaning to remove the "age cast" of expired chrome or c41 films by just moving a slider, it's not rocket science :)

some films i have gotten that are expired were 10¢ a sheet for 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 cn + chromes
and there was nothing wrong with them. its like throwing milk and eggs away on the sell by date
they are still good after the date has passed ...

StoneNYC
25-Feb-2014, 08:49
naaah

plenty of people who shoot holgas and lomos and low-fi cameras ( box cameras, pinhole cameras &c ) know
you can get fresh film at b+h or urban outfitters, or calumet or ebay, or freestyle but whats the point when expired film
still works, and is dirt cheap and if the colors are off it really isn't that hard to fix.

meaning to remove the "age cast" of expired chrome or c41 films by just moving a slider, it's not rocket science :)

some films i have gotten that are expired were 10¢ a sheet for 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 cn + chromes
and there was nothing wrong with them. its like throwing milk and eggs away on the sell by date
they are still good after the date has passed ...

I didn't say that second part.

Also, you can always make an image look aged after, but you can't make an aged image look clean... Just a thought...

ALSO the cheap aged film thing is over with (as shown by the price the OP sold his film for), the prices are much higher now for old film as a 'fad' has caught on. Except x-ray film... I'm waiting for that ball to drop too...

Anyway after doing lots of aged film shooting, (i mean really aged like 50 years expired) I've decided that for me, the benefits of the "look" are not that great and I would rather just shoot new film. But everyone should do what they think is best for their own art.

Peter Gomena
25-Feb-2014, 09:05
Using fresh color sheet film in a pinhole camera is expensive now. Expired film often is much cheaper and if not too far out of date, just fine for playing around. I use fresh film in my cameras when I want to make "real" pictures.

A friend gave me a couple of boxes of 4x5 Fujichrome 50D he found in his freezer. Expiration date is 5/1987. It's a natural for the pinhole. It may be completely useless, but it won't cost much to try it.

jnantz
25-Feb-2014, 09:34
I didn't say that second part.

Also, you can always make an image look aged after, but you can't make an aged image look clean... Just a thought...

ALSO the cheap aged film thing is over with (as shown by the price the OP sold his film for), the prices are much higher now for old film as a 'fad' has caught on. Except x-ray film... I'm waiting for that ball to drop too...

Anyway after doing lots of aged film shooting, (i mean really aged like 50 years expired) I've decided that for me, the benefits of the "look" are not that great and I would rather just shoot new film. But everyone should do what they think is best for their own art.

who said anything about making an aged image look clean or visa versa
people do what they want, and expired film @ 70$ is a cheap alternative to 300$ a box for
the same film ...

i don't think i would call shooting expired film a fad, hurrell was doing it back in the day ..
if its a fad to be broke and use what you can find then i guess this fad has been
going on for a long long time ..

jcoldslabs
25-Feb-2014, 12:08
if its a fad to be broke and use what you can find then i guess this fad has been going on for a long long time...

I'm still part of this "fad" myself. ;)

Jonathan

jnantz
25-Feb-2014, 15:14
I'm still part of this "fad" myself. ;)

Jonathan

same here :)

Tin Can
25-Feb-2014, 15:57
I'm slow aging a bunch of 4x5 E6, it's just like wine, the older the better and more expensive.

sometimes...

StoneNYC
26-Feb-2014, 02:31
I just got rid of the rest of my expired Polaroid pack film "Paul Giambria" (or however you spell it) Blue film.

But I got it for the blue-ness not it's old-nes. Though I suppose it's no different from the Lomo-purple, except it's named correctly.

I'm kinda sad it's all gone, it was mostly blue but it did have colors, just with a blue cast...

Anyway, you can't get it anymore... Sad...

EDIT: btw the digi in the back is the models, not mine.. Lol

Michael Cienfuegos
26-Feb-2014, 23:23
I just got rid of the rest of my expired Polaroid pack film "Paul Giambria" (or however you spell it) Blue film.

But I got it for the blue-ness not it's old-nes. Though I suppose it's no different from the Lomo-purple, except it's named correctly.

I'm kinda sad it's all gone, it was mostly blue but it did have colors, just with a blue cast...

Anyway, you can't get it anymore... Sad...

EDIT: btw the digi in the back is the models, not mine.. Lol

You need not apologize for the digicam. I have one, a D700 and proud of it. I bought it for my GF to use, keeps her away from my stuff. :)

m

StoneNYC
26-Feb-2014, 23:47
You need not apologize for the digicam. I have one, a D700 and proud of it. I bought it for my GF to use, keeps her away from my stuff. :)

m

I was apologizing for it being a rebel... I have a 5DmkII lol.

But honestly I just don't shoot with it anymore for ME only for the client when they request it over film, I don't ever argue the merits of either, the customer is always right ;)

Michael Cienfuegos
27-Feb-2014, 09:10
I was apologizing for it being a rebel... I have a 5DmkII lol.

But honestly I just don't shoot with it anymore for ME only for the client when they request it over film, I don't ever argue the merits of either, the customer is always right ;)

I use mine when I am birding or when I am attempting to photograph the cats. I have shot the kitties with film, but the kitten is too fast and I don't get enough keepers.

Liquid Artist
2-Mar-2014, 08:32
A friend gave me a couple of boxes of 4x5 Fujichrome 50D he found in his freezer. Expiration date is 5/1987. It's a natural for the pinhole. It may be completely useless, but it won't cost much to try it.
That is what I though recently when I saw a box of Ektachrome for sale in a used camera store for $5.00. Although it was expired in 1986, and I am really not expecting perfect results with it I am having fun shooting the odd sheet here and there.
Besides I would be very surprised if I don't get at least 1 image that leaves everyone breathless.