PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up dust

gary892
22-Feb-2014, 12:53
I recently did some dry wall repair work in my darkroom area and I have the dust from sanding the dry wall all over.

I did cover all my equipment and sink, but it is on the floors and in some cases worked its way into some of cabinets and recess'.

I thought about using a shop vacuum to clean it up but the discharge would just blow dust out again.

I tried a damp cloth but I just got mud.

Any suggestions to clean this mess up?

Thanks

Gary

Jim Jones
22-Feb-2014, 13:40
A shop vacuum in an adjacent room with an extension on the hose fed through a wall into the darkroom would remove the dust from the darkroom (and vent some of it into another room). Some homes and businesses have built-in vacuum systems that reduce or eliminate the problem throughout the building.

Pawlowski6132
22-Feb-2014, 13:47
You'll need a bag vacuum. Period. Unless the shop vac is outside, it will never work.

Heroique
22-Feb-2014, 15:06

Sounds like the room needs an old-fashioned mop-and-sponge bath first!

I'd keep the equipment covered for the cleaning process.

And when covers come off, a final cleaning of the equipment itself.

(Dust has already made it through the covers. Trust me on this.)

Jody_S
22-Feb-2014, 16:17
I find I have to wash the floors 3-5 times after doing work in the house. I don't vacuum at all, for the reasons you give, unless I have to clean out some crevasse. Broom & dustpan, then mop & bucket.

Brian Sims
22-Feb-2014, 17:05
get a bag of sweeping compound from a janitorial supply store. I use that to pick up most of drywall dust, then vacuum with a heap filter. The sweeping compound binds to the dust and makes clump.

ic-racer
22-Feb-2014, 17:14
I recently did some dry wall repair work in my darkroom area and I have the dust from sanding the dry wall all over.

I did cover all my equipment and sink, but it is on the floors and in some cases worked its way into some of cabinets and recess'.

I thought about using a shop vacuum to clean it up but the discharge would just blow dust out again.

Any suggestions to clean this mess up?

Thanks

Gary

I'm in a similar situation. I just got done doing drywall in the area adjacent to my darkroom. I did wall off the area with plastic and I ran my darkroom dust filter full time but still have some fine dust. I still have a lot of work to do before I even think of cleaning up the darkroom.

Jim C.
23-Feb-2014, 09:05
get a bag of sweeping compound from a janitorial supply store. I use that to pick up most of drywall dust, then vacuum with a heap filter. The sweeping compound binds to the dust and makes clump.

I think you mean a HEPA filter.
:)
To the OP, unless a vacuum is truly certified as HEPA it will still have some dust re blown out.

Jac@stafford.net
23-Feb-2014, 09:52
I use a large shop vac with double filters, one HEPA over the standard filter which I wet first. Very little goes back to the environment.

As a regular thing, I have a HEPA plus regular filtered stand-alone air filter in this unit (https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRaphclqqv5mkyUoPpe28AZ0s69_Db84wx-5jfZfq1o3CJ5Pwf1RW4Bpav5U_O5xe7NvH4tWrfV&usqp=CAE)

gleaf
23-Feb-2014, 11:20
You need a soap and water combination what will pick up 'clay size particles". Spray bottle and a pile of paper towels. Spray a bit of floor, wipe, fold to fresh section of paper towel, wipe, fold. once towels is too small, into the waiting trash bag and start again. Repeat on each bit of floor etc until the paper towel comes away clean. An old NBC warfare (Nuclear Biological Chemical) manual or training video will show you the blot and wipe technique. How to clean up something without spreading it. Easy technique once you know how not to spread it farther.

resummerfield
23-Feb-2014, 16:03
A shop vac will work, but you MUST vent the exhaust outside. Even with double filters, a shop vac that vents the exhaust into the room will only stir up the dust. Attach a length of hose to the exhaust port and vent the exhaust outside. Then damp-wipe everything a few different times.