PDA

View Full Version : new Epson 3880 for B&W Cone conversion when new?

Tin Can
21-Feb-2014, 14:09
I am giving up on my Canon Pixma PRO 1.

I read about Jim Cone and his systems. He recommends a new printer to checked out and dialed in using the as shipped Epson inks, to make sure the machine works properly.

I am considering an Epson 3880, they are now rebating $200.

Since I want to print B&W only and mostly digital negatives, I am considering this Cone product.

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/sc.15/category.84387/.f

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Paul Cunningham
21-Feb-2014, 16:16
FYI, Epson almost always has a rebate on the 3880. The amount fluctuates slightly, it was little higher in December. Once it runs out, it's renewed. This has been going on for years. Cheers.

keith schreiber
21-Feb-2014, 16:54
I've been using Cone inks for years, ConeColors in a 3800 and Piezography K7 Carbon in a 7600 (recently deceased), and I plan to switch another 3800 to a Piezography2 setup in the near future. The main rationale for testing a new printer with OEM inks prior to installing Piezography inks is that in case of any problems out of the box the first thing Epson will do is ask if you are using OEM inks. If you are not they will likely blame any problems on the non-OEM inks and refuse to honor the warranty. The 38xx printers seem to be relatively trouble free for Epsons, however with my first 3800 I had to return it 3 times before I got a good one. The point is that it really is a good idea to install the OEM inks first and make sure the printer is problem free before moving to Cone (or any other 3rd party) inks.

The down-side is that you will need to fully flush the printer with cleaning fluid before making the change. (Not the case if you were changing from OEM to ConeColors.) This will require a 2nd set of refillable carts and cleaning fluid. There are more economical alternatives for carts and cleaning fluid to what Cone offers, though Cone's support is really top-notch and if you are new to this it might be worth the extra $s.

Best of luck with this. I think you will be pleased.

~ Keith

Taija71A
21-Feb-2014, 20:24
I read about Jim Cone and his systems...

____

Who is this Cone guy anyways?
I have never ever heard of 'Jim' Cone...

Jon Cone... Yes! :)
--
On another note... Keith has given you some 'Outstanding' advice... +1
Best regards,

-Tim.
_________

Tin Can
21-Feb-2014, 20:28
Oops and that's why my searches seemed odd.

I am terrible with names.

I often say, 'I couldn't introduce my mother to my brother, because I would forget their names.'

not kidding

____

Who is this guy?
I have never ever heard of 'Jim' Cone...

Jon Cone... Yes! :)
--
Best regards,

-Tim.
_________

Taija71A
21-Feb-2014, 22:09
Oops and that's why my searches seemed odd...

____

Don't worry Randy... It is ALL good!
*Just don't be calling your 'Deardorff'... A 'Horseman' Now!

... I am terrible with names. I often say, 'I couldn't introduce my mother to my brother, because I would forget their names.' not kidding

____

That is so funny Randy! You just made me Laugh... :)
--
I too am not very good with names... The way things are going now, in a 'couple' of more years... I too might just be able to give you a good 'Run for your Money' -- Playing the 'Name Game!' :D
--
Best regards,

-Tim.
_________

sanking
21-Feb-2014, 22:10
If you are planning to install Jon Cone's Piezoghraphy 2 system you might also consider the Epson R3000. On glossy paper and digital negatives the R3000 gives both smoother tones and more sharpness. You most likely would not see any advantage with the R3000 printing digital negatives for pt/pd, but you should definitely see enhanced image quality printing carbon or other procssess that use smooth papers. The reason for the advantage to the R300 is the small 2 picoliter ink drops, compared to 4 picoliter size with the 3888.

Sandy

Tin Can
21-Feb-2014, 22:39
That's good advice Sandy.

Now I have a dilemma, as I definitely want sharp digital negatives, but I prefer to print both digital and analog with softer surface.

Thanks for the tip!

If you are planning to install Jon Cone's Piezoghraphy 2 system you might also consider the Epson R3000. On glossy paper and digital negatives the R3000 gives both smoother tones and more sharpness. You most likely would not see any advantage with the R3000 printing digital negatives for pt/pd, but you should definitely see enhanced image quality printing carbon or other procssess that use smooth papers. The reason for the advantage to the R300 is the small 2 picoliter ink drops, compared to 4 picoliter size with the 3888.

Sandy

Darin Boville
22-Feb-2014, 00:17
Randy,

If you don't want your unopened 3880 OEM inks I'll buy them. I run both a OEM 3800 and a Piezo 3880. That will go a long way toward paying for the printer.

PM me if interested.

--Darin

Tin Can
22-Feb-2014, 00:49
Thanks Darin, but when this happens, I will play it strictly by Jon Cone's directions and test the unit for quality with the supplied OEM inks and then switch to Piezo.

First I'm, going to try getting this Canon running again and dump it.

Randy,

If you don't want your unopened 3880 OEM inks I'll buy them. I run both a OEM 3800 and a Piezo 3880. That will go a long way toward paying for the printer.

PM me if interested.

--Darin

Darin Boville
22-Feb-2014, 01:00
Thanks Darin, but when this happens, I will play it strictly by Jon Cone's directions and test the unit for quality with the supplied OEM inks and then switch to Piezo.

First I'm, going to try getting this Canon running again and dump it.

O.K. then I'll buy your lightly used OEM ink carts at an even bigger discount! :)

--Darin

D-tach
22-Feb-2014, 07:45
And don't forget about those fricking pizzawheels with the Epson 3880, they show up real nice with glossy or semi glossy prints in dark parts. At least with mine they do. You can avoid the problem by using the front loader slot but you cannot print 17" papers or negatives that way apparently. I read somewhere on the Jon Cone forum that if you cut the paper to 16,5" you can still use the front loader slot. Perhaps consider a 4880, more or less the same price and a vacuum bed but bigger.

NancyP
7-Mar-2014, 14:52
Oh good, piezography experts. I have a second printer, Epson 1400, that I have been planning to set up for piezography but just have been doing Way Too Many projects.

Tin Can
7-Mar-2014, 15:05
Way too many projects is the norm here.

Sure glad I retired and have all day to putz.

I'm far busier than when I worked for the 'man'.

Oh good, piezography experts. I have a second printer, Epson 1400, that I have been planning to set up for piezography but just have been doing Way Too Many projects.

Andreas
7-Mar-2014, 15:43
Install new dampers every 2 years to avoid cross-contamination and make it a ritual to shake your cartridges every Monday morning at 9:00
Otherwise your prints will become darker and darker, due to pigment settling.
But the prints are gorgeous...

Larry Gebhardt
7-Mar-2014, 20:34
And don't forget about those fricking pizzawheels with the Epson 3880, they show up real nice with glossy or semi glossy prints in dark parts. At least with mine they do. You can avoid the problem by using the front loader slot but you cannot print 17" papers or negatives that way apparently. I read somewhere on the Jon Cone forum that if you cut the paper to 16,5" you can still use the front loader slot. Perhaps consider a 4880, more or less the same price and a vacuum bed but bigger.

I have heard that you can minimize the marks by upping the drying time between each pass. Apparently the marks are made in the wet ink. I haven't had a problem with the ink and papers I use, by I expect to when I start printing digital negatives on the 3880.

sanking
7-Mar-2014, 21:21
I have heard that you can minimize the marks by upping the drying time between each pass. Apparently the marks are made in the wet ink. I haven't had a problem with the ink and papers I use, by I expect to when I start printing digital negatives on the 3880.

You can not change the drying time with the QTR driver. Epson driver allows that, but not QTR.

Sandy