PDA

View Full Version : On an iPAD Air what 4X5 lens does the camera app correspond to

Kirk Fry
16-Feb-2014, 17:56
So you can use the iPAD as preView camera so to speak. I am guessing it would correspond to about a 135mm lens, but that is just a guess based on my 210 mm. Anyone have an more accurate determination? Is there some app that does that, maybe with lines for the various lens focal lengths?
It obviously would not work for wide angles unless there is a wide angle attachment for the lens.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
16-Feb-2014, 20:27
I don't know about the iPad, but "artist's viewfinder" works very well on the iPhone: http://www.artistsviewfinder.com/

It is quite flexible within the limits of the iPhone's camera, with viewfinders and lines for different (and customizable) formats and focal lengths. I think they also make an Alpa specific app.

Jim Graves
17-Feb-2014, 19:40
Pretty pricey app ... $24.99 ... I read the"Details" section but was unable to determine if you could input individual focal lengths for different LF formats. Any info on that from somebody who's used this app?

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
17-Feb-2014, 21:29
The older version I use allows you to add any focal length lens and any format you please, including custom ones, but the camera's phone limits how wide you can go. On my iPhone I can get a medium wide (120mm on 4x5) lens without needing any wide angle attachment for phone. I got it for free and am not sure I would spend $25 on it, but it does what Kirk requested.

AgnesL
18-Feb-2014, 04:08
Hi,

I am a member of the Mark II Artist's Viewfinder team. I've just read your question and yes, you can add up to 20 individual custom focal lens per virtual camera. The Manual of the app is available here: http://www.artistsviewfinder.com/handbook/

Regarding the wide limitations the Mark II supports wide converter lenses from ALPA, Schneider and olloclip - using them you can go up to 2x as wide as the phone alone would allow.

If you have any further question, please feel free to contact me at support at direstudio dot com.

Cheers,
Agnes

Larry Gebhardt
18-Feb-2014, 11:41
Pretty pricey app ... $24.99

It's cheaper than the Linhof finder I use :)

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
18-Feb-2014, 12:51

Very true...

Ari
18-Feb-2014, 13:05
I haven't used Artist's VF, I can't comment on it; but I have Viewfinder Pro, which is probably very similar.

evan clarke
18-Feb-2014, 13:14

I have two of the newest generation of Linhof finders. After I got hooked on it, I bought a spare just to have it. It's lean and mean, takes very little thinking and needs no batteries. (I do have the Mark II app)

Light Guru
18-Feb-2014, 13:16
I haven't used Artist's VF, I can't comment on it; but I have Viewfinder Pro, which is probably very similar.

They are both made by the same person. Viewfinder Pro is an oder version and according to the App description it says "As of March 15, this app will no longer be available for download, and existing installations will not be updated to include new features or fixes."

Ari
18-Feb-2014, 14:39
Viewfinder Pro is an oder version and according to the App description it says "As of March 15, this app will no longer be available for download, and existing installations will not be updated to include new features or fixes."

D-oh!
That's nice of them; they only charged $20 for the app, now they will no longer update it.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
18-Feb-2014, 16:28
That's nice of them; they only charged $20 for the app, now they will no longer update it.

Yeah, this is a pricing model I really don't like.

andred2809
30-Nov-2014, 10:19
Is there an android version?

Hi,

I am a member of the Mark II Artist's Viewfinder team. I've just read your question and yes, you can add up to 20 individual custom focal lens per virtual camera. The Manual of the app is available here: http://www.artistsviewfinder.com/handbook/

Regarding the wide limitations the Mark II supports wide converter lenses from ALPA, Schneider and olloclip - using them you can go up to 2x as wide as the phone alone would allow.

If you have any further question, please feel free to contact me at support at direstudio dot com.

Cheers,
Agnes

Bill_1856
30-Nov-2014, 11:48
Would someone just answer the original question. Please?

Delfi_r
18-Feb-2015, 02:14
On an Ipad Retina (4th Generation) the screen fits a 129 mm lens according Viewfinder Pro.

Drew Bedo
18-Feb-2015, 10:06
Why not just look at the Ground Glass? If the view doesn't match your creative vision, mount a different lens or move the tripod.

The Ground Glass is truth.

SergeiR
18-Feb-2015, 13:09
Why not just look at the Ground Glass? If the view doesn't match your creative vision, mount a different lens or move the tripod.

The Ground Glass is truth.

Word. Or cardboard cutout.

jb7
18-Feb-2015, 15:29
Hi,

Cheers,
Agnes

I bought the original app, which you have withdrawn, updated, renamed, and re-offered for sale.

Support for the original app, which was around 20$, is no longer available, and it can no longer be downloaded from the iTunes store.

How long will it be before you re-name this one, in order to attempt to re-sell it, and do you think that your existing customers will ever be tempted to buy from you again?

Drew Bedo
18-Feb-2015, 18:22
So you can use the iPAD as preView camera so to speak. I am guessing it would correspond to about a 135mm lens, but that is just a guess based on my 210 mm. Anyone have an more accurate determination? Is there some app that does that, maybe with lines for the various lens focal lengths?
It obviously would not work for wide angles unless there is a wide angle attachment for the lens.

Well, you could measure the angle of view directly. Mount/clamp/strap the iPad to some support and view a scene . . .a brick wall maybe. Move objects on each side until they are just at the edges. mMasure that angle with a protractor such as is used in school (7th or 8th grade?). Now look up the specs on several lenses and see which focal length most closly matches that field of view.

There is probably a better way to do this direct measurement, but this is what I can come up with just now. I welcome other ideas on how to do this.

Randy Moe
18-Feb-2015, 19:28
Well, you could measure the angle of view directly. Mount/clamp/strap the iPad to some support and view a scene . . .a brick wall maybe. Move objects on each side until they are just at the edges. mMasure that angle with a protractor such as is used in school (7th or 8th grade?). Now look up the specs on several lenses and see which focal length most closly matches that field of view.

There is probably a better way to do this direct measurement, but this is what I can come up with just now. I welcome other ideas on how to do this.

+1, but perhaps too obvious...

sanking
18-Feb-2015, 20:18

Save yourself the time. Check our this site for Field of View of iPhone and iPad devices.
http://www.boinx.com/chronicles/2013/3/22/field-of-view-fov-of-cameras-in-ios-devices/

iPad Air is not included in the tests but I have compared it to a regular iPad and the field of view looked to be identical.

Sandy

Randy Moe
18-Feb-2015, 20:45
Save yourself the time. Check our this site for Field of View of iPhone and iPad devices.
http://www.boinx.com/chronicles/2013/3/22/field-of-view-fov-of-cameras-in-ios-devices/

iPad Air is not included in the tests but I have compared it to a regular iPad and the field of view looked to be identical.

Sandy

I see they did it empirically!

AgnesL
24-Feb-2015, 03:34
Dear jb7!

I have sent you a PM, I donít want to spam this thread.

Agnes