PDA

View Full Version : Burke & James Press repair

Noah B
15-Feb-2014, 11:29
Hey all, I picked up an old B&J press camera awhile back and it's in pretty decent shape w/ good bellows. The one part that's broken is one of the focusing knobs, it isn't attached to the rail so only one side can focus. The focus works fine, except that I can only move it on one side. I'd like to be able to use both, but not sure how intensive this repair will be. I'm considering putting new leatherette on the body next month, so I might do it then. If anyone has any info I'd appreciate it! Thanks

mdarnton
15-Feb-2014, 12:22
The shaft the knobs are on runs from one knob to the other, so you are attached to the rail on both sides when you use the working knob. So then the question becomes has the non working knob fallen off the shaft, is the shaft broken next to the knob, is the knob there, or is it gone, or is it attached, but spinning in place?

Noah B
15-Feb-2014, 17:23
It's attached, but spinning in place. I'm unsure if it's completely broken from the rail or if it's just unscrewed.

mdarnton
15-Feb-2014, 19:01
I was trying to figure out how to modify mine, and I've tentatively come to the conclusion that they're possibly pressed on, with a friction fit of some kind. So the first thing I'd try is pressing the two knobs towards each other, and see if you get any hint that this makes things better. If it does, and there's still enough free space to press it on more, I would try to do that, with some reasonable force, BY HAND.

There aren't any set screws that I can see. Soldering is another possibility for an original fit. If it was me, not you, I'd turn the camera on its side, loose knob down, put ONE drop of super glue where the shaft enters the knob, give the knob a little spin to suck in the glue, and then press the two knobs towards each other (pushing the loose knob onto the shaft). I'd hold it there for a couple of minutes, then walk away for overnight, and see how things were the next day.

If you don't get the glue all over where it doesn't belong, you won't do any harm that can't be reversed when soldering the knob on, which would be my next approach, but for that you'd have to do quite a bit of disassembly, which you probably don't want to do.

I'm pretty sure the knob doesn't thread on--that would be more work than I see B&J putting into things.

Noah B
16-Feb-2014, 06:52
That's a good idea, I've considered the super glue and will see how it goes later today. If I put new leatherette on soldering would be appropriate, thanks!

Noah B
24-Feb-2014, 16:35
I cut into the leather a little and the focus rail is held in by 2 screws on both sides. It was a lot easier than I thought it'd be to open up. I used some professional super glue to put it back in place, I'm gonna let it sit overnight but I expect it to hold well. Thanks again for the tips!