PDA

View Full Version : Reasonably priced printers?

John Rodriguez
11-Feb-2014, 23:52
I'd like a to get a few 40x30s printed (inkjet) and mounted, however the prices of the local shops is higher then I can justify: $120-150 for the print before mounting. While I understand it's a low volume business, that price just doesn't work for me, I'd rather just pick up a used 9700 at that point. Can anyone recommend a printer with more palletable prices?

Lenny Eiger
14-Feb-2014, 09:58
I'd like a to get a few 40x30s printed (inkjet) and mounted, however the prices of the local shops is higher then I can justify: $120-150 for the print before mounting. While I understand it's a low volume business, that price just doesn't work for me, I'd rather just pick up a used 9700 at that point. Can anyone recommend a printer with more palletable prices?

I'd charge at least double for that. You get what you pay for. You might try Costco. Or, by all means, do it yourself...

Lenny

Ken Lee
14-Feb-2014, 10:18
You will want it profiled for your paper/ink combination. Large paper is expensive to "fiddle" with.

John Rodriguez
14-Feb-2014, 11:08
Ken, definitely. A bit more info, I'm already working with a well profiled 3880. I'm not looking for anyone that will make local adjustments to my files. WCI will make the prints for 90 each which sounds better. I'd be willing to bet that shops located in places where rents are high would be able to charge lower rates, hence my question.

paulr
14-Feb-2014, 13:42
I doubt there's a reasonable way to own a large format printer for low volume use. The printers hold a ton of ink in their ink lines alone, and don't like to sit idle. You'll have to run a lot of ink and paper through them (both expensive) just to keep them running properly.

I looked into this a while ago, and realized they weren't suitable to work style. I'd be printing a big project once or twice a year, and then the things would sit under a dust cover for weeks and sometimes even months at a time. Even though the printers are bargains, the cost of ownership didn't work out for me.

Tin Can
14-Feb-2014, 14:06
Costco prints 20x30 for $9 on Fuji paper. Impossible to beat. They develop 35mm C41 for $1.59...

I just ruined my Canon Pro1 by low volume printing. I will not buy another personal printer of any kind, except for a B&W laser toner MPC.

You want big, you will pay.

I am going full old school wet.

I'd charge at least double for that. You get what you pay for. You might try Costco. Or, by all means, do it yourself...

Lenny

Lenny Eiger
14-Feb-2014, 14:17
Costco prints 20x30 for $9 on Fuji paper. Impossible to beat. They develop 35mm C41 for $1.59...

I am going full old school wet.

Yes, Costco is impossible to beat on price. I was suggesting it seriously. Everyone has a differently idea of what kind of quality is important to them. I wouldn't exhibit a Costco print, but there are lots of people for whom that suffices. I am also going to do a little wet, but it will be alt process, not that goopy paper. ;-)

Lenny

bob carnie
14-Feb-2014, 14:42
Not to be a stick in the mud, but Costco is using standard photographic papers and inkjet's, at least here in Canada.

If they **management ** have used their noggins then they will have a good profile that they apply at time of printing.
If the profile is good, if the RGB file is good and the paper is the same paper Gursky and Burtynsky are using for example, what is wrong with this picture? I see
this as an attractive option for photographers.
We have built our press and go service around this very premise. Gone are the day of photographers relying on a custom printer working their magic.
Yes there are those who still want a printer to do everything but thankfully we have evolved. There were too many bad images to print back in the old days.

If ones print is out of whack with the screen then I suggest their is something wrong with the operator, and that can happen with any vendor who offers prints to clients.

There are hired guns out there with 10k spectrometers making specific print profiles, the smart provider will use them and be able to offer
screen to print match. I own a eye1spectrometer and still have a dude who is better than me design my paper profiles.
Costco has much more resources to put to this area of print production, and see no reason why people would not use their services.

I also see why people would go to Lenny for custom printing and service at a higher rate...

Yes, Costco is impossible to beat on price. I was suggesting it seriously. Everyone has a differently idea of what kind of quality is important to them. I wouldn't exhibit a Costco print, but there are lots of people for whom that suffices. I am also going to do a little wet, but it will be alt process, not that goopy paper. ;-)

Lenny

Tin Can
14-Feb-2014, 14:57
I use Costco for some prints. I have one print 20x30 I have printed at the same location 4 times over 5 years. I needed to fix a broken glass and frame and printed a fresh one. The first print 5 years ago was great. The new ones don't compare. Something changed, I do all my own 'adjusting' and turn off their auto correct.

But the average Joe or Jane just doesn't notice or care. Color is anything with red. blue and yellow. B&W is anything monotone.

We notice, but that costs us and clients a lot of money.

I love watching 'pros' at Costco eagerly examine their masterpieces on the spot and hide the image from anybody. As if we could steal their image.

vinny
14-Feb-2014, 15:46
since wci told me I wasn't good enough for their business, I've been using aspencreekphoto (owned by wci and probably under the same roof) and have been very happy with the results. Upload tiffs via ftp and their hokey software. $45 for a 30x40. and shipping is very reasonable. I've never had an issue with any aspect of their work as apposed to many issues in the past with Calypso Imaging (RIP) and some issues with scratched prints at WCI.

Tin Can
14-Feb-2014, 16:17
Looks very reasonable to me.

I will try them.

Thanks!

since wci told me I wasn't good enough for their business, I've been using aspencreekphoto (owned by wci and probably under the same roof) and have been very happy with the results. Upload tiffs via ftp and their hokey software. $45 for a 30x40. and shipping is very reasonable. I've never had an issue with any aspect of their work as apposed to many issues in the past with Calypso Imaging (RIP) and some issues with scratched prints at WCI.

John Rodriguez
14-Feb-2014, 20:05
Thanks everyone. If Costco is that cheap I might as well try them. These are to hang around the house, and I'll probably be swapping new ones frequently.

John Rodriguez
12-Jun-2014, 12:19
As a follow up for anyone living near San Francisco, Rayko Photo Center rents their large format Epsons (11880 or 7890, they also have 3880s). $11 an hour plus ink ($5 a square foot if you bring your own paper). Best deal going by far. http://raykophotocenter.com/digital-lab-rentals/

Jmarmck
12-Jun-2014, 13:12
I have a HP T1300 here at work. I use it for cartographic purposes. But I do not use it frequently. Ink cartridges dry up and print heads clog up. They must be exercised frequently to keep them fluid. Yes, the ink, print heads, and paper are expensive. I would like to keep it working but there is a conflict of interest there. There is a local shop that has the ability to print these. I will have to check their prices.

Harry Ogloff
28-Jun-2014, 16:24
I own two HP Z3100 printers and use them for my own fine art prints. There are times they sit idle for over a month. Never had clogging problems, don't do any test prints anymore as they always come out good. I heard horror stories with other make of printers if not used on a very regular basis.