PDA

View Full Version : LF gear for rent

abhishek@1985
10-Feb-2014, 19:30
Hi Friends,

Well so I had the rarest of opportunity to try out a Tachihara 4x5 in the cold temparatures of Northern Minnesota on the shores of Lake Superior and needless to say "I AM HOOKED TO IT". Don't have words to thank Joel Truckenbrod of giving me the rarest opportunity to use his.

Now, that I have used it once and taken a couple of pics, I wanted to have one rented over the course of 1 week to try out more before I jumped into buying one field camera.

So, request you guys to let me know if you are aware of a place where I can rent out a Large Format field camera like the Tachihara,Shen Hao , Wista , Zone VI , a normal 135-180mm lens and some holders.

This would greatly help me to decide if i am ready to take the plunge yet or not.

Oh, I am from Minneapolis :)

Regards,
Abhishek

Liquid Artist
11-Feb-2014, 13:32
Just a though, why not just buy one. You can often find a used 4x5 with a lens for a couple hundred. If you don't like it you can sell it for the same price.

I don't know if you have access to it yet, but there is a buy / sell board on this forum for anyone who's a member over 30 days. It's a good place to start looking.

Tim Meisburger
11-Feb-2014, 19:49
Best bet is to go to your local pro camera shop and ask them (especially the old guy with the grey hair). I think most rentals are high-end monorails, which may not be what you are looking for. An alternative is to post a note with your location in the title "Any LF photographers in Minneapolis?", then offer to drive them around on a photo shoot on the weekend to a local park,etc in exchange for some tips and camera time. Most LF guys have several cameras, and some might even have a beater they will loan you (I have five and have an old crown graphic I will loan you if you pass through Bangkok).

Good luck!