PDA

View Full Version : Tripod for Trekking

mdm
9-Feb-2014, 01:36
Can people recommend a tripod and (ball?) head combination that is:
-Cheap enough that it is expendable, no great loss if stolen or lost.
-Light enough to be packed in and used on the way to and around base camp of some remote 7000ers in the Hindu Kush
-For portraits, landscapes and the usual waste of film. 210mm lens only.
-To support a 5x7 Nagaoka in mostly fine weather, no strong winds, no rain but lots of heat and some cold.
-Leg locks that are not totally infuriating.
-Cope with sand and grit.
-Take the knocks for 5 weeks.
-Camera on an Arca plate.
-Maybe no centre column.

I already have a Berlebach that I love but it is too long and bulky for a pack full of climbing gear and legs yet to acclimatise to altitude.

Thanks, shopping is not my strong suite and I have to buy sight unseen over the internet, could come from anywhere.
David

Nathan Potter
9-Feb-2014, 15:03
Yes, trekking for a tripod over the internet can be frustrating. I've been looking for one with similar specs as you but have failed - probably mostly since I was after the low price end where there are simply no important specs listed. So I trekked to my local camera store in Austin (Precision Camera and Video), which is actually quite a fine repository of a complete range of tripods. However I'm still indecisive about what to buy so I need to stop obsessing over the issue of specs and just get something that mainly won't fail on short trips.

OK, so that was no help - more philosophy than practicality.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

mdm
9-Feb-2014, 17:25
Oh well, plenty of time to think about it.

Greg Y
9-Feb-2014, 17:58
Mdm, I understand your needs. If I'm carrying...then a gitzo carbon fiber knock-off....(feisol et al) & a strong head ( I've used mine with a Ries head). If you've got a porter carrying stuff....then i'd go for something cheap strong & replaceable like a Tiltall or a cheap Manfrotto. I've used these for my Deardorff 5x7 with good results.

austin granger
9-Feb-2014, 18:12
I've been searching around for a similar thing, and am considering this Feisol CT-3342:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/848830-REG/FEISOL_CT_3342_Tournament_CT_3342_Rapid_Tripod.html

It's light, simple, can handle the load (I have a Deardorff Special) and seems well put together.

As for a ballhead, obviously there are a dizzying array of options. I'm thinking of something like this FLM:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=927432&is=REG&Q=&A=details

Again, light, simple and from all accounts, a quality head. At a little over $300 I wouldn't call it cheap, but it's not totally outrageous.

Just my two cents. I do not own either of these, but like I said, I'm thinking along these same lines. I'll be interested to see other's advise.

Greg Y
9-Feb-2014, 18:36
I bought the Triopo (CF / Gitzo knock-off) for $150 on ebay with free shipping, & not so sure i'd use a ball head although I have with medium format. Last time I was in Nepal I carried a Leitz tiltall. I've seen porter loads take quite a beating & stuff can disappear. Personally I'm not inclined to put together a $700 tripod rig...when really I'd rather be using my Ries. I'd go cheap...sturdy...dispensible.

Ari
9-Feb-2014, 20:01
If it's really cheap you need, I would second Austin's tripod suggestion, though the tripod may disappoint you, and last a little longer than 5 weeks. :)
It seems light enough, the drawback is that it folds down to a long-ish length; other tripods (more $$$) will fold down to smaller than 59cm, and be easier to stuff in a backpack/suitcase.

Greg's Triopo suggestion is ok; I had one for a year, but sadly, I did not get to abuse it much.
It was used for a 4x5 Wista, and did ok, as long as the ground was level and there was no wind.
But I'd be hard-pressed to think that that tripod is still in one piece, wherever it is; it was very cheaply made.
And I'm pretty sure that the accompanying Triopo ball head will be sufficient to your short-term needs, and provide an Arca-type QR clamp/plate.

For 5 weeks, I think you can thrash either of these tripods around and get your money's worth.

Leszek Vogt
9-Feb-2014, 22:31
Agree with Austin. My Feisol (no middle column CT-3371) is somewhat taller and is about 4.5lbs and it fits into my duffel bag quite easily....and I use it with the beastly 410 gearhead. I've had no issues with it in over 2 years and it was baptized many times in salt water and sand....not to mention took a beating in several flights to E. Coast and AK.

Les

Greg Y
9-Feb-2014, 22:42
..... from a standpoint of disposable & tough enough...there are at least 3 Tiltalls currently on Ebay for 49-$100.

Lachlan 717
9-Feb-2014, 23:11
When weight and bulk are an issue, I take a Feisol CF (can't remember the model, but even the large ones are quite compact) without a head. Takes a bit longer to set up, but light, compact and super-stable.

Even if it's not the Feisol, my suggestion is to leave the head at home.

dodphotography
10-Feb-2014, 04:50
I'm really torn as well. I have a Gitzo (I really forget the model) but it's pretty crappy. It's pretty light, not carbon light, but the issue is it's extended legs are just bad. It was used for a long time by a 4x5 shooter but I don't trust it. I also don't want to drop 500 bucks if I don't have to

cjbecker
10-Feb-2014, 07:36
You could go for a slightly smaller lighter tripod if you go headless. It will make everything more steady, and easer to carry.

Larry Kellogg
10-Feb-2014, 07:41
How about the older, Gitzo 1228 MK2, which can be had for around $250? I took out the center column and put in a Markins plate. I also put a hook under the center, which I hang my bag from, making it a lot more stable. I think my Manfrotto 438 leveling base plate and Manfrotto 410 head weigh more than the tripod, LOL, but I love that head.

Drew Wiley
11-Feb-2014, 14:30
Your weak link in the system is going to be the ballhead. Cheap and light is a synonym for wobbly in that category. But then, I can't conceive of doing any kind of
realistic view camera work with a ball head. Per carbon fiber tripods, the two ply ones can support weight fine, but are not as rugged in terms of accidents than
more expensive 3-ply tubing. This applies even to Gitzo. Feisol tripods are quite good for the money. But I use a four-section Gitzo for airline and long-haul backpacking, no center column, and headless. It fits right into my carry-on.

mdm
11-Feb-2014, 17:19
Thanks for all the replies. Sorry, I have been in another world and missed. I will have a look. My beaten up old macpak has straps on the side so long is good.

David

mdm
15-Feb-2014, 00:25
I think I settled on the feisol recomended and maybe an FLM or acratek leveling base. Already have the doodad on top for the camera and arca plate. There are no carbon fibre tripods without centre column available locally.

Thanks for the advice.
David

NancyP
17-Feb-2014, 11:14
I think that you will like the Feisol. Feisol makes its own leveling bases for their better (milled fittings) tripods. These are of the "video bowl" variety. The minus is that you lose the hook on the underside of the mount, so you would need to devise another solution. I have the 3472, a beast of a tripod, 4#, with ball head, general use for digital SLR (including pack-hiking), and an aluminum 055 Manfrotto with a 410 head (Arca-style adapted) for near-the-car. Ridiculously enough, I seem to have Gear Acquisition Syndrome for support gear, there's a monopod and a short lightweight traveler tripod and a more or less useless tabletop tripod as well.

Greg Y
17-Feb-2014, 13:47
110641 ......or you can just cowboy up ;-)

mdm
17-Feb-2014, 17:40
Could do.

csxcnj
18-Feb-2014, 14:37
I've had a Benro C2790F for the last two years and it has worked well for me. Not as tall as I would like without the column extended a bit (I'm 6') but the weight is right for hiking.

ScottPhotoCo
18-Feb-2014, 23:02
I picked this up and it's really great. Light and remarkably solid.

http://www.mefoto.com/products/roadtrip.aspx

Tim
www.ScottPhoto.co

mathieu Bauwens
21-Feb-2014, 05:47
I would say benro. I've travelled extensively through laos with it and a 4x5. The mefoto tripods seem to be the same.