PDA

View Full Version : Where and How Does One Get A Photograph Appraised?

jcoldslabs
8-Feb-2014, 06:36
I am lucky enough to own an original Paul Strand photogravure from his Mexican Portfolio. Since I received it as a gift over 25 years ago I have no reference point for its value and would like to get it appraised. However, I haven't the faintest idea of where or how to have this done. Any suggestions?

This is the image (http://www.photogravure.com/collection/searchResults.php?page=2&artist=Strand,%20Paul&view=medium&file=Strand_01_09) if anyone is curious.

Jonathan

Frank_E
8-Feb-2014, 08:12
My suggestion is to find a dealer that specializes in Paul Strand, which is probably easier to say than to do. However I suspect a google search will help in that regard. We are fortunate that here in Toronto we have an excellent dealer that just deals with photographs (many also deal in paintings) and he has shown and marketed many iconic photographers in the past. For example there is currently an Andre Kertesz exhibition hanging. He acts for the estate. If you have a similar dealer near you he might be able to guide you to those dealers elsewhere that handle Strand images.

Another option of course is to simply email one of the more renown NYC galleries (Frankel, Pace/McGill, Stephen Karsher, Howard Greenberg etc etc) and put the question to them and ask how you might proceed. Nothing ventured nothing gained….

my 2 cents...

Pete Suttner
8-Feb-2014, 08:32
Have you tried Charles Hartman / Portland?

Peter Mounier
8-Feb-2014, 08:47
You can contact Christies or Sothebys. Here is a link to a Sothebys auction that has already passed.

http://www.sothebys.com/en/search.html?keywords=paul+strand#keywords=paul%20strand

tgtaylor
8-Feb-2014, 09:26
I wonder which would receive the higher appraisal of the same image: a photogravure or a darkroom (chemical, alternative process, etc)?

Thomas

Pawlowski6132
8-Feb-2014, 10:00
For insurance purposes?

Jon Shiu
8-Feb-2014, 10:17
Antiques Roadshow (PBS)

Jon

ROL
8-Feb-2014, 11:42
Antiques Roadshow (PBS)

Jon

Beat me to it. How about putting it into the Image sharing & Discussion Thread. It is sure to get plenty of valid appraisal there.

:D.

Wayne Lambert
8-Feb-2014, 11:52
Terry Etherton of the Etherton Gallery, Tucson, has photogravures from The Mexican Portfolio and would probably be a good source of information.

Wayne

jcoldslabs
8-Feb-2014, 12:28
Thanks all for the suggestions; most of them had not occurred to me. I've never seen Antiques Roadshow. I thought it was more of a traveling circus kind of thing, only useful when they show up in your town, but maybe not? I'll look into a couple of different options. It would be nice to get a ballpark figure initially, maybe based on recent auction prices and then an actual nuts-and-bolts appraisal.

For insurance purposes?

Indeed. It's time to renew our homeowner's policy and they always ask me about "high value items" which I usually ignore because they mainly ask about jewelry or antiques of which we have little or none. But I was looking at the photo the other day and thought, "That might be a high value item. How would I know?" In any case it probably needs its own rider to make sure it's covered for replacement value. With as much vintage photo gear as I have I think a whole "photo addendum" to our insurance policy might make sense.

Jonathan

Jon Shiu
8-Feb-2014, 12:37
I was just joking about Antiques Roadshow. It's my wife's favorite. Good idea to check ebay listings and completed sales.

Jon

Pawlowski6132
8-Feb-2014, 12:38
I wonder if your insurance company can make a recommendation. I'm sure they would re-appraise if you ever filed a claim.

Tin Can
8-Feb-2014, 12:43
You need at least 2 written estimates by known and working experts. Same as any odd valuable.

I used to appraise old cars.

Rafal Lukawiecki
8-Feb-2014, 14:02
I'd suggest contacting the Weston Gallery in Carmel-by-the-Sea http://www.westongallery.com. I've seen Paul Strand prints in there, several times, and in general, they have always been very knowledgeable about that group of photographers.

jcoldslabs
8-Feb-2014, 15:04
I was just joking about Antiques Roadshow. It's my wife's favorite. Good idea to check ebay listings and completed sales.

Ahh. I've never seen it, only heard about it, so I wasn't sure if you were serious. Good to know you weren't. :)

J.

EDIT: If Eb@y prices are anything to go by, it's not worth as much as I thought.

Drew Bedo
25-Feb-2014, 19:04
Antiques Road Show? Remember to look shocked or surprised.

Greg Miller
25-Feb-2014, 20:51
You might try contacting the Robert Mann gallery in NYC http://www.robertmann.com/artists/main.html

But you might want to check with Drew first to be sure it is a real gallery and not a vanity gallery - theres probably no way it could be a real gallery and last 20 years ;)

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
25-Feb-2014, 21:49
Did you try the asking a curator at the Portland Museum of Art? I don't think there is a photography curator, but there is a curatorial coordinator I have spoken with before. She might know who to ask locally.

jcoldslabs
25-Feb-2014, 21:58
Good idea, Jason.

J.

Michael Mutmansky
26-Feb-2014, 11:13
There were two different printings of the "Mexican Portfolio". One called "Photographs of Mexico" (1940), and the other called the "Mexican Portfolio" (1967).

The first set is far more valuable than the second. Individually, the 1967 images generally do not sell for more than about $500 or so for the more desirable ones, and less for the rest. I don't think I've seen individual images from the 1940 set, so I'm not sure where they would sell for.

The image quality of the second portfolio is inferior to that of the first. I think they may have used the same plates, but they didn't print with the same level of quality (lower pressure in the press, etc.). You can probably determine if it is from the first printing by looking at the print and determining if there is a varnish overcoat that has darkened with age. The first printing had this, whereas the second did not darken. Jon Goodman made reprints from the same plates in the early 80's (I think) of a few of the images, and has personal knowledge of the printing and details. I have a complete 1967 portfolio, and I also have one of Jon's prints of the same image. His is clearly superior to the 1967 portfolio.

You can still purchase some images from the portfolio directly though Aperture Foundation. I think these are all Jon Goodman printings, and are masterfully executed. They also have some pt/pd images as well, but those sell for much higher prices.

---Michael

William McEwen
26-Feb-2014, 13:12
Jonathan, I would contact Aperture. They own Strand's archive and probably issued the gravure you own.