PDA

View Full Version : Amazon CreatSpace vs Blurb and others.

Big Fish
6-Feb-2014, 17:31
Greetings....

Would like to self publish high quality photo book , 9 x 12, hard/soft cover probably 100-120 pages with 100 being photographs. Not looking to make money other than to maybe break even. Am looking at Create Space with Amazon or Blurb.

Thanks.

austin granger
7-Feb-2014, 18:28
You didn't mention whether your pictures were black and white or color, but like Greg, I had a terrible time with various color casts on my black and white images when using blurb. The worst part was that it seemed to vary from book to book, and so was not really correctable. At least, I wasn't able to find a good solution. I can't speak for Create Space.

Good luck. If you have a better experience, please do report back.

ROL
7-Feb-2014, 18:44
You didn't mention whether your pictures were black and white or color, but like Greg, I had a terrible time with various color casts on my black and white images when using blurb. The worst part was that it seemed to vary from book to book, and so was not really correctable.

Me too. That was a major reason I just decided to go all digital as regards self publishing (http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/index.php?p=pages&title=making-an-apple-ibook).

Big Fish
10-Feb-2014, 11:53
The photos are BW maybe with a sepia tint. Images are from old glass plate collection.

richardman
10-Feb-2014, 19:32
I and a number of people I know have done Blurb books (I met some of them in a self-publishing class) and we all have good experience with Blurb in colors or BW. Just be sure to follow their guidelines with colorspace etc. Magcloud is significantly less expensive than Blurb and the quality is quite good though. I would say less color corrected than Blurb but for the price, comparing to any photo books before 1990, it's practically stunning.