PDA

View Full Version : Mars Large Format Pano

Tin Can
6-Feb-2014, 12:29
Is this LF enough?

30,000 pixel wide, paid by USA

another evil plot link, NOT!

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2014/02/mars-sand-panorama-curiosity/?cid=18180404

Drew Wiley
6-Feb-2014, 12:47
Just think, if you have the same money to spend, now YOU can go around bragging how your very own bells n' whistle digital camera really outperforms sheet film...
well, if you can figure out how to program it for tilts and swings etc (fortunately, not much achitecture on Mars just yet requiring true verticals). No need to worry
about portability, cause you can just ride the thing like a lawnmower. It will even help detect alien life forms (and easy task in this town). So lets starts the pixel bidding wars right now... how many pixels do you get per each million bucks??? How price does that compare to a box of sheet film? What does Ken Rockwell say about this camera? Do you really need one? How many does B&H have on backorder at the moment, and how long will you have to wait?

Taija71A
6-Feb-2014, 14:12
Is this LF enough? 30,000 pixel wide, paid by USA another evil plot link, NOT!

____

Definitely... NOT!

The NASA Panoramic Camera (Pancam)... Is not even a LF Camera...
4,000 pixels high x 24,000 pixels wide (A 'mere' *96mb of Data)... Is absolutely 'Nothing' -- Size wise.

Many individuals here on the the LF Forum... 'Routinely' work with scans (*Many times larger than this 'In Size') -- Day In and Day Out!

http://marsrover.nasa.gov/mission/spacecraft_instru_pancam.html

Also... (Almost) anybody can 'Stitch' some Digital Panoramic Images together these days -- Even on their droid or iPhone.

Heck... You don't even have to work for NASA to do it!

:(

_________

Drew Wiley
6-Feb-2014, 14:30
Well they did need an awfully big rocket to get the thing to location. Guess that makes it large format. I won't say in mixed company what propels me uphill with my
own large format gear.

Bill_1856
6-Feb-2014, 15:03
California in another 6 months.

Steve M Hostetter
6-Feb-2014, 16:14
sure is a lot of pyramid shaped rocks in the foreground or is it just me

Drew Wiley
6-Feb-2014, 16:20
Yeah... those Martian canals look pretty dry. Must have had the same water policy once as we do here.... Oh but it's been raining steadily for about 20 hrs now,
so end of our Martian look locally... Already starting to green up from a little drizzle last week. Eager to pick up my 8x10 color negs from our Martian winter, then
in a week or two hike the same trails and compare the radical difference in potential color schemes. It was a treat while it lasted. (Sorry for that remark, farmers,
but I really do love all those golds, greiges, and earthtones.)

Tin Can
6-Feb-2014, 16:42
Your rain will become our snow in a few days.

We also need to fill the Great Lakes back up.

Drew Wiley
6-Feb-2014, 16:51
The aforementioned drizzle did clear up the air, and it was a treat to look across the Central Valley and see the Sierra all white again. Ironically, despite just a bit
of snow from that storm there were stern avalanche warnings - abnormally warm days but freezing at nite, so unconsolidated new snow piling atop slick water ice.
This present storm will have skiers happy for a little while, until it all turns into our typical "Sierra cement". Hard to know what the Spring will bring. Under the best
of circumstances there will still be severe water rationing in numerous places, but the high country will still be glorious, as ever. It's just a question of how early. Wouldn't surprise me if I was able to sneak in a brief backpack as early as late May.