PDA

View Full Version : What would be your step up from a Press camera?

durr3
29-Jan-2014, 07:23
I have used a Press 4x5 camera before and I am ready to step it up a bit. What is your choice ? : brand/size/wood or metal/etc.

Thanks

J durr

Bill_1856
29-Jan-2014, 07:34
Unless there is a specific need, then there's no reason to get another LF camera.
Get a Sony RX100 and keep it ready in your pocket.

mdarnton
29-Jan-2014, 08:15
Late model all wood Burke & James, the type with aluminum uprights with two retaining wheels on the back uprights. These are basically low-end Deardorffs, and because they can't get any respect, they go for dirt cheap. They fold small, are reasonably light, have huge bellows extension and full studio movements. They are well made, precise where it counts, and the things that are lacking can easily be shimmed into more precision. The one place they lack is for really wide angles, not being able to fit a W/A bellows, but I can use a 90mm on my 5x7 if I don't need movements. Graflok backs have cache', but this camera doesn't have one, and what do you really need one for? It's not like you're going to put on a Graflex roll back and leave it as you do on a press camera--a slide in Calumet roll back is much more convenient, anyway. Be sure you get one with the bed extension included!

http://p2.la-img.com/1011/23763/8481850_1_l.jpg

Rollinhofuji
29-Jan-2014, 08:41
Well, MY step would be a Master Technika 3000 - but your choice might be a different one!

What are you missing on your current camera? What annoys you?

Pete Watkins
29-Jan-2014, 09:34
I'd go along with the 5x7 / 4x5 B&J. I've had one for a few years now and can't really fault it. If you can get an extension bed get it but they're good as they are. Don't listen to the critics. I bought mine from a photographer in The U.S and even after shipping and customs I still think that I got a bargain. 5x7 is a nice portable format as well.
Pete.

Neal Chaves
29-Jan-2014, 10:00
If that press camera is a late model 4X5 Crown or Speed Graphic, investigate the Toyo system or other systems that provide adapter lens boards to take the Grapic boards.

jp
29-Jan-2014, 10:07
I have used a Press 4x5 camera before and I am ready to step it up a bit. What is your choice ? : brand/size/wood or metal/etc.

Thanks

J durr

What's your subject matter?

smithdoor
29-Jan-2014, 10:24
I have hard to find a better camera than a Crown Graflex for all types of work
Wood camera look great if you have clients.

Dave

Thanks

J durr

djdister
29-Jan-2014, 10:38

Thanks

J durr

Depends what you intend to do with it. There was another thread where the advantages/disadvantages of FIELD vs. VIEW camera models was discussed. If you value the field portability of your press camera, then getting a better version of a Field camera model might be best. If on the other hand you want to do mostly studio work or drive-up location work, then getting a view camera (studio or monorail type) would be best.

Once you have that figured out, the question on whether to move up in size to 5x7 or larger will be much easier to answer.

DrTang
29-Jan-2014, 11:21
eh..you've loaded sheet film...so

just jump right into 8x20 or whatever - it's basically the same only slower

AtlantaTerry
29-Jan-2014, 20:57
If that press camera is a late model 4X5 Crown or Speed Graphic, investigate the Toyo system or other systems that provide adapter lens boards to take the Grapic boards.

+1

C. D. Keth
29-Jan-2014, 21:58
What do you want to do that a press camera won't allow? If your answer is "nothing" then spend your money on more film.

Kimberly Anderson
29-Jan-2014, 22:00
+1

What do you want to do that a press camera won't allow? If your answer is "nothing" then spend your money on more film.

Patrick13
29-Jan-2014, 22:04
You're going to be hard pressed to find another camera that can take the abuse a Graflex can. You could brain a mugger with one of those things, then pop it open to take the crime scene photos.

yes, this is a recurring theme in my posts where Graflex are mentioned :D

Michael Roberts
29-Jan-2014, 22:40
Tachihara 4x5
Pony Premo 5x7
Kodak2D 8x10

Noah B
3-Feb-2014, 16:23
FWIW, I've shot 4x5, 5x7, 8x10, and used both field and view cameras. My most recent camera was a Sinar F and it was fantastic. I used it indoors for studio/macro work and it was terrific. Now I shoot digitally and focus stack for that kind of work, but I wanted to have a view camera for paper negatives/alt process etc. Last year I got to shoot with an Ebony SW45 and it was brilliant. You can have a lens attached and have it folded up compactly, it's ready to go on a moment's notice. I love the fact that on the press cameras you can have a lens attached, drop the bed, pull out the lens and you're good to go. I've never owned a press camera up until now, but I appreciate the quickness. It's perfect for landscape or portraits and they don't weigh that much. Just my 2 cents!

Daniel Stone
3-Feb-2014, 16:49
OP,
What type of photography do you intend to employ this new camera into a life of servitude for?
If you're hiking long distances, don't want to carry a lot of weight, want the capability to go wide and quite long(up to 450mm), I'd look at Chamonix
If you're shooting from alongside the road, and only carry your camera(and are happy to do so) up to 50yds from the car, your options are much broader. Almost endless options TBH.

give us some more details about your intended purposes, and we can help you narrow down the options.

cheers,
Dan

joselsgil
3-Feb-2014, 18:37
J durr,

If you have been using a Press 4X5 camera, then you know what it can do, and what it's limitations are. Just look for a camera that can overcome those limitations and what is within your budget.

If you are looking for a mono rail 4x5, you can find Calumet CC400 cameras for $100. They are quite capable cameras, just not very glamorous.

If you want a field camera, the Burke and James field camera is a good choice for the price.

It all comes down to your end use. The Press camera is a very versatile, work horse camera and you may find that you really don't need another large format camera.

Peter Gomena
4-Feb-2014, 00:13
I know several people who own Chamonix 4x5 cameras and love them.

Ivan J. Eberle
11-Feb-2014, 14:40
Have you used one of the Press-View type metal folders? A bit heavier than the lightest press cameras, but more moves. MPP, Linhof, and Meridian all made models with revolving backs on adjustable posts for moves. Inexpensive today compared to when they were considered highly collectible, I've seen MPPs and Meridians sell at auction for less than $150, on occasion. Typically $400 to $700 for the nicest examples.

sanking
11-Feb-2014, 15:37
+1

Most of the folding metal field cameras (Wista SP, Wista VX, Toyo 45 CF, Horseman, Linhof Technika) would be a step up from the Speef Graphic in terms of more movements.

Sandy

Rolfe Tessem
13-Feb-2014, 19:25
Chamonix 45N-2 would be my thought. I love mine.

For lesser money, a late Linhof Technika III is a also a great choice. Get one that has the Linhof IV body with the beveled body contour.