PDA

View Full Version : SuperChromega DII power failure

pau3
28-Jan-2014, 05:29
Hello,

I have a Super Chromega DII enlarger with a power supply/timer unit
called Stabilotime (see below, forgive the smartphone pictures).
Needless to say, I'm located in Europe (Barcelona).

109376 109377

The power supply has stopped working. Although it still provides power
to the fan, none of the lights of the enlarger work anymore, and changing
them for new ones did'nt solve the problem.

What should I do now? Does someone know if it is possible to fix the power
supply unit? Or where to get a replacement (in Europe, preferably)? I am aware
that KHB Photographix is offering refurbished Chromegatrols, but I find them
rather pricey (and the shipment to Europe is expensive). Any idea?

Neal Chaves
28-Jan-2014, 07:27
The combined power supply/109379timer units for the Super Chromega DII have been troublesome and almost impossible to repair. The best option is to use a standard power supply and a separate timer. I have an extra Omega power supply for that enlarger, but it is 117 Volt input. In Europe, you would also have to use a step-down transformer between your line and this unit. The shipping cost to Spain would be the major factor here. If interested, PM me.
Neal

Tin Can
2-Feb-2014, 01:47
Convert it to 120 volt bulbs, which is great here, but you are 220. Maybe they make 220 volt bulbs for EU. I don't know.

I am converting an F to 120 volt, look it up at APUG.

Hello,

I have a Super Chromega DII enlarger with a power supply/timer unit
called Stabilotime (see below, forgive the smartphone pictures).
Needless to say, I'm located in Europe (Barcelona).

109376 109377

The power supply has stopped working. Although it still provides power
to the fan, none of the lights of the enlarger work anymore, and changing
them for new ones did'nt solve the problem.

What should I do now? Does someone know if it is possible to fix the power
supply unit? Or where to get a replacement (in Europe, preferably)? I am aware
that KHB Photographix is offering refurbished Chromegatrols, but I find them
rather pricey (and the shipment to Europe is expensive). Any idea?

ndrs
2-Feb-2014, 03:31
Stabilotime provides 117 v for the fan and 24 v for the bulb, even in Europe.
Have it diagnosed. Stabilotime's internals really are quite simple. If the fan still works the faulty part is likely electronics, not transformer, and it should be not too difficult to rewire internally and connect it through an external timer. It could also be a problem with the cable or plug.

I recently took apart a Chromega head and I'd hesitate to use higher voltage for the bulb. Those wires get hot and are in some places not so well insulated for today's standards. In fact I considered converting the entire thing to 24 v but I didn't find a suitable fan.

Tin Can
2-Feb-2014, 11:42
Do you actually understand this chart? If not your advice is specious.

Stabilotime provides 117 v for the fan and 24 v for the bulb, even in Europe.
Have it diagnosed. Stabilotime's internals really are quite simple. If the fan still works the faulty part is likely electronics, not transformer, and it should be not too difficult to rewire internally and connect it through an external timer. It could also be a problem with the cable or plug.

I recently took apart a Chromega head and I'd hesitate to use higher voltage for the bulb. Those wires get hot and are in some places not so well insulated for today's standards. In fact I considered converting the entire thing to 24 v but I didn't find a suitable fan.

pau3
2-Feb-2014, 13:57
Thanks for all the advices.

I did unscrew the top of the Stabilotime, and I could see some burned resistors.
I guess this is a sign that something else (like a capacitor, there are some of them)
went out of business. Since I don't have the proper tools to diagnose the problem,
I'm going to put the thing in the hands of someone that has better knowledge of
electronics than me. If he cannot fix it, I will build a power unit with new equipment
(which is rather easy, by the way). Well, I should say I'll ask someone to build a power
unit (see above about my lack of skills about electronics).

In the meantime, I have installed a LPL 7451 in my darkroom :). I'm not in hurry now.

ndrs
2-Feb-2014, 14:31
Do you actually understand this chart? If not your advice is specious.

I'm indeed familiar with Herr Ohm's work. However, I would not use higher voltage with original lamp wires of a Chromega considering that the head is only grounded through the shaky connector on the backside of Stabilotime. With new wires, direct grounding of the enlarger, maybe.

Tin Can
2-Feb-2014, 14:55
Yes, of course. I don't specify exactly 'how to' for several reasons.

I'm indeed familiar with Herr Ohm's work. However, I would not use higher voltage with original lamp wires of a Chromega considering that the head is only grounded through the shaky connector on the backside of Stabilotime. With new wires, direct grounding of the enlarger, maybe.