PDA

View Full Version : Gitzo 1325 or 1548 for TK45?

Jon_2416
10-Sep-2004, 20:34
Hey all,

I can get a good deal on either a used Gitzo 1325 or 1548 carbon fiber tripod. I don't backpack and either will be strapped to my Lowepro roller case. I generally shoot in the city and don't find myself in windy conditions. I've been using a Bogen 3041 which isn't rigid enough and also have a Bogen 3036 which is an animal... even for my Technikardan. I'm going to get an Acratech ballhead to replace the small Bogen I've been using.

Any users out there? Any votes either way?

George Stewart
10-Sep-2004, 20:47
The Acratech will look very strange on the 1548 (I own both). The top plate on the 1548 is huge. The base of the Acratech is actually smaller than the top plate of the 1229. I'd forget the good deal and get what is right for your needs.

Mark Windom
10-Sep-2004, 20:50
The 1325 should be fine. I used it with a Wista SP...rock solid.

Kevin Crisp
10-Sep-2004, 21:00
The Acratech with the 1325 is a very nice combination, you would be happy with it. I haven't personally used the other tripod model number so can't comment.

Kerry L. Thalmann
10-Sep-2004, 21:25
Jon,

The 1325 should be fine. I used one for years with my TK45S (and now with an ARCA-SWISS F-Line Classic). I use my 1325 with an ARCA-SWISS B1. They make a great combo. Light enough to go anywhere, but rock solid sturdy. I haven't used the Acratech head, but have heard good things about it from those that have. You may want to invest in one of the long quick release plates from Kirk, RRS or Wimberley. They will help center the camera better when using long lenses.

George,

I'm not familiar with the Gitzo 1229. Is this a new model, or perhaps a typo. I've had the 1227 for years and modified it by removing the center column. It's my ultralight tripod for backpacking with my Toho FC-45X. It would be nice if there was a 1200 series Gitzo carbon fiber tripod that came stock with a flat plate and no center column.

Kerry

Frank Petronio
10-Sep-2004, 22:47
Hey Witsell, if you can afford it, go big - get the taller 1549 for urban work. Plus it makes a great back-up weapon when the strap breaks on your Leica. And I like the Arca ballheads too, on my smaller tripod, and I use a geared three-way on my big tripod now. Geared heads are great for view cameras...

Jorge Gasteazoro
10-Sep-2004, 22:49
I am going to be the one going against all advice and recommend you get the 1548. I have one with the low profile 1570 head and it is a winning combination, but a ball head should also work fine. Whenever I use my TK (which is rare now) putting it on the tripod is very simple and I have no need of a QR. Additionally I can also place my 8x10 and 12x20 on the same tripod. IOW, if you get the 1548 (specially since you dont plan to hike much) you will have the one tripod that does it all. It will be all you will ever need.

If you were hiking I would say go for the 1325, but seeing that you plan to use the roll case, IMO the 1548 is a no brainer, specially if you can have it at a good price.

Kerry L. Thalmann
10-Sep-2004, 23:34
Geared heads are great for view cameras...

I have to agree with Frank on this one. Even though I generally favor lightweight gear, I've become a bit spoiled by the geared head I've been using for everything but really long hikes and backpacking lately. I terms of strength/weight ratio, it's hard to beat a top quality ballhead (ARCA B1, Acratech, etc.), but boy, for ease of use a three axis geared head is pure joy to use. Since Jon mentioned that weight wasn't an issue, I'm wondering why he's considering the Acratech. One of it's main selling points is the light weight (less than 1 lb.). Where weight isn't an issue, I think any three axis head (geared, or not) would be easier to use with a heavy (8 lb.) large format camera than a ballhead. I continue to use ballheads when weight is an issue, but when it's not, I go for the geared head every time.

Whenever I use my TK (which is rare now) putting it on the tripod is very simple and I have no need of a QR.

Jorge,

I merely mentioned the Kirk, RRS and Wimberley QR plates since Jon stated he was getting the Acratech ballhead, which comes with an ARCA style QR clamp. If he gets another head, he may or may not need a QR plate.

Kerry

Frank Petronio
11-Sep-2004, 07:09
My "architectural" tripod is the largest, tallest 500 metal Gitzo (with the "made in France" stickers removed of course) and a Majestic geared head with a RRS female topper. I can climb on the thing, and the mass makes it impervious to any less than Hurricane Ivan. It cost less than $500 complete, mostly from eBay (the RRS plate was $100). I use a 300 series with a A-S B1 for walking around...

For the cost of a big CF you could get both...

Don Miller
11-Sep-2004, 07:59
The 1325 should be rigid enough if it's tall enough. Few people would purchase a 1500 series for strictly 4x5. It's "an animal". All of the 3,4, and 5 series Gitzos are rigid, expensive tripods suitable for at least 5x7. So pick the price/features that work for you. I have the 1345 (taller four section version of the 1325) and the aluminum 1410. The 1325 would be too short for me.

Re: Geared head comments - I have the acrateach for 35mm/MF. I do not like ball heads -at all- for LF, especially in the geometry of a city. The cheapie geared head that I and many other people use is the Bogen 3275/ Manfrotto 410 (same item). It's under $200 and allows for fine movements in one plane. It weighs about 2x the acratech.

But I do recognize that ball heads work for Jon and others. Perhaps these guys are more coordinated than me.

Don

Don Miller
11-Sep-2004, 08:29
Correction: I have the Gitzo 1348, not the 1345.

tim atherton
11-Sep-2004, 12:03
I have one of the massive heavy duty aluminium gitzos that goes up to 8 or 9' or somthing that I used to use for everything. Finally got a deal on a gitzo 1325 a couple of years ago and can't remember the last time I used the monster tripod - the 1325 gets used for 8x10, 4x5 arca swiss and a the little Toyo - it's fine 99% of the time for all of them. I use it both with just the top plate and a centre column (lighter or more height/flexibility). It gets used for every kind of work - all my architectural + landscape, cityscape, editorial etc.

I just came back from doing a commission shooting urban landscapes - 200 sheets of 8x10. Some pretty windy days, including the old wind tunnel effect between building and I've only noticed one shot suffering from blurr - and I know I kicked the tripod as I clicked the shutter on that one (and so had shot a second sheet)

I also use an arca B1 for everything - I have and have used pan and tilt and geared heads but I just don't like them most of the time. With heads I think it tends to be an either or thing - some people like ball heads and find them easy to use - others just don't like em.

As for the arcas, I bought some extra big fleur-de-lis and tricolour flags to stick all over them (even though Gitzo is British now... and in use by Birtihs forces in Iraq as we speak :-) )

tim atherton
11-Sep-2004, 12:03
that should be "British"

tim atherton
11-Sep-2004, 12:44
Jeesh - shouldn't try and type while holding a teething 5 month old... - should be: As for the gitzos, I bought some extra big fleur-de-lis and tricolour flags to stick all over them (even though Gitzo is British now... and in use by British forces in Iraq as we speak :-) )

Ted Harris
11-Sep-2004, 14:21
First the ballhead, I have been using the Acratech for close to two years now and I find it to be superb and easy to use. I have used Arca and Gitzo ballheads and find the Acratech to be superior. The movement is smooth, it locks up easily and solidly and ways a good bit less than the Arca. I have used it with an assortment of 4x5 and 8x10 cameras up to around 14 pounds total weight with lens and no problems at all, none. I also use it with a Noblex and again very easy to gt everything all levelled up. BTW, while it comes standard with Acratech's own Arca style clamp you can order it with no clamp if you want to use another system or have enough pod and camera plates already .... you save some 75 bucks that way if memory serves. It's big advantage over the Arca style ball heads is that since the large ball is open, there is no way for dirt, dust, sand and other gunk to get lodged inside the head.

Now tripods ...... just my personal preference buy you might want to look at some of Linhof's offerings as well. I use this 'pod a lot and find it to be a true joy, much more so than a number of gitzo's I have owned and used:

LIGHTWEIGHT PRO TRIPOD
65/190 cm (26/75"), 3-sections, with detachable umbrella struts, rapid clamp locks, 35 mm diam. sliding centerpost. Built-in spirit level, convertible feet, metal spikes/rubber tips, large dual-thread top plate with 1/4 and 3/8" camera screw. Weight: 2400 g

Like many things Linhof the specs are incredibly conservative. They say it willsupport up to 13 pounds as I recall but I think it will handle more like 25-30 with ease. I know it handles everything I throw at it and is rock solid. I was using it a couple of weeks agon on some rocks on the coast of Maine with the wind blowing and there was no movement at all it just sat there like a good pod should! The Acratech mates nicely with it. Badger carries (or used to carry) them and I know jeff uses one personally. Worth a look.

Bob Salomon
11-Sep-2004, 14:48
"LIGHTWEIGHT PRO TRIPOD 003414 65/190 cm (26/75"), 3-sections, with detachable umbrella struts, rapid clamp locks, 35 mm diam. sliding centerpost. Built-in spirit level, convertible feet, metal spikes/rubber tips, large dual-thread top plate with 1/4 and 3/8" camera screw. Weight: 2400 g"

In the USA there is a 5 year warranty on Linhof tripods sold by authorized dealers.

Those sold by unatorized dealers have no warranty inside the USA and no repair service.

giancatarina
13-Sep-2004, 06:21
i'm using a gitzo 1329 and a geared head manfrotto 410, i will avoid the 4 sections tripods in 132 serie (4 sections, means a smaller section than the 3 sections models). i'm using an arca swiss f line 45, and without using the center colum, the optical axe is at 1, 85 meter !

Paul Butzi
13-Sep-2004, 09:12
I've used a 13xx series Gitzo with my Tk45s for years now. Mine was purchased just after Gitzo introduced the CF 'pods.

I see lots of folks use the 1325 - mine has four section legs and goes higher than a 1325 - I guess that makes it equivalent to the current 1348.

Having the four section legs is great. Most of the time, the last (narrowest) section stays collapsed. Having that extra length, though, is really nice when you are working on a slope and want the downhill leg (or legs) to be longer.

Since currently I'm doing quite a bit of work from roadside, I find that often I have one tripod leg down in the ditch and being able to extend that leg another foot or so is more a neccessity than a luxury.

I use a Arca-Swiss B1, and I'm happy with it. It replaced the Linhof Profi II immediately after my Profi II let loose a camera flop that nearly dumped the TK45s and my 210 Apo-Sironar-N into the Snoqualmie River (I caught it inches from the water, whew!).

I think camera flops are a big issue with ball heads, especially with view cameras which tend to have the center of gravity quite a bit higher (and also extend out quite a bit more than MF and 35m gear), and so I'd be pretty unhappy about switching to a ballhead that didn't have the AS eccentric ball feature.