PDA

View Full Version : Good book on Lightroom 5 & Adobe RAW

Matus Kalisky
8-Jan-2014, 15:20
Hello,

I have just installed new Lightroom 5.3 I have been using Phoshop CS3 up to now and while I am not wizard with it, I found my way. Now Lightroom looks much different and I would like to learn as quickly as possible what is possible to do with it and what is the best way to get from A to B. I would appreciate a recommendation or two for a good book on Lightroom & Adobe RAW that would help me get there.

I will use the Lightroom with files coming from digital cameras and film scans. I would also like to see whether the Lightroom could replace my CS3 (I know it can not do all Photoshop can, but maybe I can get without some features if there are others worth it).

thank you

bob carnie
8-Jan-2014, 15:28
Kelby Training has at least 5 good seminars on Lightroom you could try, I think you can sign up on a one month basis.

I use PS and Lightroom, Lightroom 4 is very good and has become quite powerful, but for applications that I am using it cannot compete with CS3 or CS6 .

D-tach
8-Jan-2014, 16:50
Martin Evening has some comprehensive books about Adobe products and also Lightroom 5

Matus Kalisky
9-Jan-2014, 02:43
Thank you. Some more googling revealed a full set of videos by Julieanne Kost (http://www.jkost.com/lightroom.html) which seem to be very interesting and detailed. My plan is to go through these and then if I would get a book with some additional tips and tricks.

So - I am now looking for a book with good tips and tricks.

Ari
9-Jan-2014, 10:52
Matus,
I can't help with book suggestions, but I can tell you that if you are reasonably proficient in CS3, you should have no trouble using LR5.
There are a few free videos on YouTube that will speed up the learning curve.
And there is no need to get rid of CS3: I find LR and PhotoShop to be complimentary, each has its strengths and weaknesses.
If you can, upgrade to CS6; if not, no problem.

I usually crop, resize and remove dust/scratches in CS6. PhotoShop is also better for colour balancing, so if needed, I do that in CS6.
Then I open the file in LR; the adjustment options are very similar to AC RAW.
Where LR really shines is in its burning/dodging tool; it is infinitely variable and as precise as you want it to be.
This feature alone has changed my digital processing capability much more than any other tool.

The other great thing about LR is that nothing you do is ever permanent or un-doable; just keep exporting different versions of everything.
All your steps are saved, and batch processing is much easier, too.

Good luck.

Larry Gebhardt
10-Jan-2014, 12:27
I got a lot out of The Digital Negative by Jeff Schewe. Not strictly a Lightroom book, but it covers all the important imaging processing options very well.

EOTS
10-Jan-2014, 12:45
Hi Matus,

with GUI applications, IMHO to get the initial grasp, often a video tutorial of the real thing is more useful and less tedious than a book.
Also to see how others do it.
For the details of course, google around or get a book.

I did watched the (Edutainment) Videos from Luminous Landscape with Jeff Schewe and Michael Reichmann
and especially enjoyed the one on workflow, from shot to print, I found quite good and amusing,
which covers both PS and LR, but also (to me) even more interesting topics like matting and framing.
They also have dedicated Lightroom Videos.

Best regards,
Martin