PDA

View Full Version : Value of a Omega Universal 4x5 Variable Condenser Lamphouse w/ chassis and stand?

PureQuill Photo
29-Dec-2013, 17:10
Hi newbie to the forum & I have decided to get back into large format again & I am setting up my darkroom.
I found a Omega Universal 4x5 Variable Condenser Lamphouse w/ chassis and stand for $100.
It has the lens turret but no lenses or negative carriers. Is this a good/fair price or should I look for a complete enlarger with negative carriers & lenses?
Thanks
Pure Quill

vinny
29-Dec-2013, 19:27
I'd pass.
people give this stuff away.

Tin Can
29-Dec-2013, 20:19
Put WTB ad in local Craigslist.

List your location below your name here.

Heroique
29-Dec-2013, 20:35
If we're talking (as in the photo below) a lamp house, variable condenser box, variable condenser lens, condenser lens housing, corrugated spacer, two 6.5" condenser lenses – just these things, and nothing else, in fine shape, would easily be worth $100 to me – and I would have no trouble selling such an assembly, displayed w/ nice photos & clear text, for $150-200 on my local Seattle CL.

PureQuill Photo
29-Dec-2013, 21:16
Here is the ad it has photos of the enlarger.
http://salem.craigslist.org/pho/4257843051.html
Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Thanks to those who have responded to my thread!

Nathan Potter
29-Dec-2013, 22:34
Grab it; seems nearly complete. Any minor missing parts are readily available on ebay or here. You can get the enlarging lens you need for a song now a days.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Luis-F-S
29-Dec-2013, 22:39
Certainly worth $100 and you'd save it from the dump! L

BradS
29-Dec-2013, 22:57
$100 without neg carriers and without any lens? Is there a $100 bill taped to the bottom of the baseboard ?

Heroique
29-Dec-2013, 22:59
Those images show an enlarger in fantastic shape. Likely a fine bargain for $100.

I'd learn how to inspect it properly – and if you purchase it, how to disassemble and safely transport that baby. Then you're just a few easy accessories away.

You can visit the following site and do a few searches on the "Ask Harry! Help Forum" here:

http://www.classic-enlargers.com

Harry Taylor is the site owner and a great source for questions.

PureQuill Photo
30-Dec-2013, 03:38
Thanks for all the responses, going to check it out in person this evening.
This is my 1st foray into large format in over 30 years.
Pretty sure once I start down this path I am not going to want to go back.
As much as I enjoy the freedom & speed of roll film & then digital.
I miss the deliberate process that shooting B&W film in large format forces.
Just the act of loading the film holders, setting the camera up on a tripod ,then focusing on a ground glass, adjusting the tilts & swings & making very conscious decisions on everything from film type & exposer.
Then on to chemistry & paper choices in the darkroom that are missing in this auto everything, take as many exposers as you want & sort then sort through a 100+ images of one subject on a computer & then fix it in photoshop.
Is some how lacking something.
But then again I miss spinning tape & vinyl & those glowing tubes when I listen to music.
Tape hiss & static pops are not a bad thing to me.
Some times one needs to go back to basics & I feel I am there.
Through the rabbit hole I go!
God help me & my pocket book :-)
Pure Quill

Martin Dake
30-Dec-2013, 06:35
Tell him it is a nice enlarger but you were hoping to find a more complete setup and offer him $50.
As he said he will dump it if he can't sell it so he will probably take what money he can get.

Jim C.
30-Dec-2013, 07:39
I'd do what Martin suggested, haggle with the seller, I got my older Omega D2V in pretty good condition for $65,
lenses, timer and neg carriers were another $150 or so off the 'Bay.

ic-racer
30-Dec-2013, 08:11
Wow, that is no DV2. It looks like a late model black anodized D5XL with the latest variable condenser head. Adorama sells just the chassis for $1,638.95.

Larry Gebhardt
30-Dec-2013, 08:39
It's a good enlarger, and at $100 is a good price. If you want to convert it to color or variable contrast there are lots of options for Omega enlargers.

PureQuill Photo
30-Dec-2013, 13:32
Those images show an enlarger in fantastic shape. Likely a fine bargain for $100.

I'd learn how to inspect it properly – and if you purchase it, how to disassemble and safely transport that baby. Then you're just a few easy accessories away.

You can visit the following site and do a few searches on the "Ask Harry! Help Forum" here:

http://www.classic-enlargers.com

Harry Taylor is the site owner and a great source for questions.

Thanks for the great advise & link “To Ask Harry."
I never would have though about the correct way to move an enlarger .
Every enlarger I ever used was already “at the lab" when I use it.
So I never gave any thought to what was involved in getting it there without damage & properly adjusted
It makes complete sense when I think about it .
An enlarger is a precision piece of optical laboratory equipment.
It was not designed to be a mobile device say like a field camera.
I have to admit I am already bitten by the large format bug again & I haven't even seen the enlarger in person.

Cletus
30-Dec-2013, 14:07
I'm in agreement with ic-racer and one look at his darkroom will convince you that he favors the higher end in the equipment spectrum, to say the least!

Also, this is exactly the same 4x5 enlarger I have. I got mine from a liquidator who had just 'liquidated' a large lab. I paid $150 for mine, albeit the fact it had three nice Schneider Companon lenses in the turret. While others are talking about everyone giving away enlargers these days is true, to a point, it's still a little harder to find late, high end models like yours in good (or very good) condition at an easy price.

I would give you my big vote to snap this up as fast as you can, before someone else notices what's on offer from this seller!

Cletus
30-Dec-2013, 14:11
One more thing - It looks from the seller's photos like all you may need for this are lenses, negative carriers and a timer (and a set of contrast filters) to get you printing and you should be well on your way to a really nice outfit.

cowanw
30-Dec-2013, 14:31
As Cletus said it looks like there are at least 2 lens boards. These will be somewhat lens specific.
Check here when you get them.
http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/LensMountD5.htm

Cletus
30-Dec-2013, 14:39
From the photos of the Craigslist ad that Purequill posted, it looks like the prospective enlarger has the three-lens turret installed, which would be another nice selling point I might add.

cowanw, is that what you were talking about in your comment, or maybe I don't understand what you're calling a lens board? :confused:

PureQuill Photo
30-Dec-2013, 20:40
I bought it!
Had to give the guy $30.:cool:
It’s disassembled in the back of my car.
As soon as I get help moving it I will post some photos.
Looks to be in fairly good condition.
Both springs on the back are both bent in towards the center of the Chassis.
So I am assuming it will need to be realigned?
The Condenser lenses all look to be there & in good shape. (Will need a careful & detailed cleaning!)
The light housing seems to be in good shape. He says the lamp lights but I didn’t test it.
There are cracks in the power cord insulation so that will need to replaced.
Has the 3 lens turret & the lens boards!
Bellows look good.
A few scratches here & there but overall pretty good condition!
I even got the baseboard.
Not bad a enlarger for $30.
Pretty excited to start restoring it!
I can’t thank all who posted here enough.
Happy New Year!

Jim C.
30-Dec-2013, 20:45
$30 , with I assume when you say lens boards you mean negative carriers, is close to free :)
Congrats on you new enlarger.

PureQuill Photo
30-Dec-2013, 20:49
$30 , with I assume when you say lens boards you mean negative carriers, is close to free :)
Congrats on you new enlarger.
No Neg Carriers but 3 lens boards on the turret!

Cletus
31-Dec-2013, 05:36
Congrats on your new enlarger Purequill! Once you have it up and running you should be all set and may never need another enlarger.

Keep an eye on Fleebay for negative carriers, you should be able to get a good glass 4x5 carrier for $25-50 if you're patient. With a little gaffers tape, or some black craft paper, you can easily mask the carrier for all formats.

Lenses are easy too. I think your turret is threaded for 39mm lenses, which are fairly standard and should screw right in. I believe there are a few for sale now, here in the Forum if you search.

Martin Dake
31-Dec-2013, 06:56
Be careful putting it back together as the rollers/wheels that ride on the column have a tendency to move inwards if the head has been pulled away from the column during transport.

They should ride on the column just like a train wheel fits on the track.
So, just check them out after reassembly or if the head does not move easily, there are 2 sets at the rear and it is obvious how they should fit the column when you look.

Also, if you are planning on using a 50mm lens on the turret they can be difficult to focus, there is a special single plate you use especially for some 50mm lens.

Check out KHB site for some great info on Omega enlargers.
http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/

PureQuill Photo
31-Dec-2013, 14:40
Thanks for all your advise Cletus it was very helpful & much appreciated!
Now the hunt for the Neg carriers & lenses.

Martin you were dead on!
One of the Roller wheels had shifted I slid it back in place head now moves easily:)
Thanks for the heads up on 50mm lens plate!

Now the search for the proper way to clean & realign this beast.
Man this thing is big & dirty!

Jim C.
31-Dec-2013, 15:04
http://www.jollinger.com/photo/cam-coll/manuals/enlargers/omega/Tech%20Service%20Manual%20-%20Various.pdf

PureQuill Photo
31-Dec-2013, 15:05
http://www.jollinger.com/photo/cam-coll/manuals/enlargers/omega/Tech%20Service%20Manual%20-%20Various.pdf

Thanks Jim C. you rock!

Martin Dake
31-Dec-2013, 15:10
& realign this beast.

Just a heads up on alignment.
When I did an alignment on mine I found the turret had enough movement in it that it caused the alignment to be way off. Rocking the turret back and forth shifted the alignment. I had a second turret that was a bit better but I ended up shimming the turret to wedge the slide in part in place then aligned after that.
Not sure if this is normal but mine was that way.

PureQuill Photo
31-Dec-2013, 16:32
Just a heads up on alignment.
When I did an alignment on mine I found the turret had enough movement in it that it caused the alignment to be way off. Rocking the turret back and forth shifted the alignment. I had a second turret that was a bit better but I ended up shimming the turret to wedge the slide in part in place then aligned after that.
Not sure if this is normal but mine was that way.

Thanks! Great info.
I love the idea of the turret but I think I may go with separate lens boards to avoid alignment issues.
99% of what I am going to do is 4X5. I am also go to teach my daughter how to do B&W 35mm.

Jim C.
31-Dec-2013, 16:46
Thanks! Great info.
I love the idea of the turret but I think I may go with separate lens boards to avoid alignment issues.
99% of what I am going to do is 4X5. I am also go to teach my daughter how to do B&W 35mm.

You may want to look into a Auxiliary Focusing Attachment, takes a bit to get used to since there is going to be
two focusing knobs, but it will alleviate the need for multiple lens cones should you want to use lenses other
than 135mm for 4x5 enlarging.

PureQuill Photo
31-Dec-2013, 17:37
You may want to look into a Auxiliary Focusing Attachment, takes a bit to get used to since there is going to be
two focusing knobs, but it will alleviate the need for multiple lens cones should you want to use lenses other
than 135mm for 4x5 enlarging.

Thanks Jim will do!

Heroique
31-Dec-2013, 18:30
Thanks! Great info. I love the idea of the turret but I think I may go with separate lens boards to avoid alignment issues.

Congrats on your purchase!

Just a reminder – lens board or not, alignment will always be an important issue...

The main idea is to make sure the baseboard, lens stage, and negative stage are all parallel to each other. Making them parallel isn't so complicated, once you have an appropriate bubble level and learn how to control each element and their relationships to each other.

It would be fun to see images of your ongoing set up. ;^)

PureQuill Photo
2-Jan-2014, 15:09
Congrats on your purchase!

Just a reminder – lens board or not, alignment will always be an important issue...

The main idea is to make sure the baseboard, lens stage, and negative stage are all parallel to each other. Making them parallel isn't so complicated, once you have an appropriate bubble level and learn how to control each element and their relationships to each other.

It would be fun to see images of your ongoing set up. ;^)

Thanks for the advise.

I took some photos last night but the files were too large to post. I will shoot them agin using low res jpegs!
Photos to come!

PureQuill Photo
5-Jan-2014, 16:00

Photos of my $30 Craig’s List find...1 less piece of great gear that wont be going to the land fill any time soon!
The Lens turret reminds me of “Oh no Mr. Bill!"

Martin Dake
5-Jan-2014, 16:10
Looks almost new, you did good.
It looks like a D5 Pro Lab, look at the rear of the mount where it meets the baseboard, Omega used to put a label there but they nearly always fall off.
I have 3 D5's, 1 XL and 2 regular, they are well made and sturdy.

PureQuill Photo
5-Jan-2014, 16:45
Hi Martin
Says its a D5XL Chassis & a Universal DV Lamp house.

dsphotog
5-Jan-2014, 18:13
Great deal!
Happy printing!

Jess C
5-Jan-2014, 18:44
Great deal on a very nice enlarger. Congratulations!

AtlantaTerry
6-Jan-2014, 01:28
I am so glad you received the baseboard as part of the package! That component is important because it is how the girders link and line up with the base. Without the correct linking components, the rest of the enlarger is almost worthless.

You received a terrific deal - even if you had paid the original $100 being asked. Even though I do not currently have a darkroom, when I do build another, it will be anchored by an Omega.

Now, let's see some of your work.

BTW, I just saw several Omega negative carriers at Wing's Camera in Atlanta. Tell Mike I sent you.

Wings Camera and Digital
www.wingscamera.com/‎
3100 Briarcliff Road NE
Atlanta, Georgia 30329
(404) 636-4406

My other suggestion is to buy several of the correct light bulbs for the Omega enlarger when you can because the US gumint has ruled that incandescent light bulbs should no longer be available. While enlarger bulbs are not ones the typical consumer would purchase, the reduction in manufacturing of "standard" incandescent light bulbs will mean your enlarger bulbs will be harder to find and/or be more expensive. So buy all you can now.

Terry

PureQuill Photo
6-Jan-2014, 02:49
I am so glad you received the baseboard as part of the package! That component is important because it is how the girders link and line up with the base. Without the correct linking components, the rest of the enlarger is almost worthless.

You received a terrific deal - even if you had paid the original $100 being asked. Even though I do not currently have a darkroom, when I do build another, it will be anchored by an Omega.

Now, let's see some of your work.

BTW, I just saw several Omega negative carriers at Wing's Camera in Atlanta. Tell Mike I sent you.

Wings Camera and Digital
www.wingscamera.com/‎
3100 Briarcliff Road NE
Atlanta, Georgia 30329
(404) 636-4406

My other suggestion is to buy several of the correct light bulbs for the Omega enlarger when you can because the US gumint has ruled that incandescent light bulbs should no longer be available. While enlarger bulbs are not ones the typical consumer would purchase, the reduction in manufacturing of "standard" incandescent light bulbs will mean your enlarger bulbs will be harder to find and/or be more expensive. So buy all you can now.

Terry

Thanks Terry
Great advise & I will stock up and “Hoard’’ the correct bulbs while they are still availabe. LOL!
I have a nice stash of mercury PX-13 batteries for my Luna Pro lightmeter & my Topcon Super DM.

I feel like the “universe" ,“God" or what ever you chose to call it has directed me back to LF.
I have some nice 20 x24 LF prints from 35 years ago but posting digital copies here seems a bit pointless.

Here are some recent images of scanned RVP & digital captures. If you are interested in seeing what I shoot.

http://pure-quill-photo.deviantart.com/

Zero photo shop on all images & while there are some nice “Captures”.
All of images are missing that certain something that makes large format worth the extra effort & expense.
I am looking forward to starting over & returning to what happens when all the stars align & I am able to reproduce the image I saw in my minds eye unimpeded by the limits of the medium that I am using.
PQ

Heroique
7-Jan-2014, 14:39
Photos to come!

A beautiful beast has followed you home!

As you'll discover to your satisfaction, the D-series enlargers share many interchangeable parts. I have a D2v but have used key parts from D-II's, D3's and D5's to keep it in top shape.

One example: the D-II, D-2, D-2v, D-3. D-5, D-6 all use the same 6 1/2" condenser
and lamp house (but not the D-4).

Very convenient. :D

PureQuill Photo
7-Jan-2014, 20:53
A beautiful beast has followed you home!

Yes it did!:o

As you'll discover to your satisfaction, the D-series enlargers share many interchangeable parts. I have a D2v but have used key parts from D-II's, D3's and D5's to keep it in top shape.

One example: the D-II, D-2, D-2v, D-3. D-5, D-6 all use the same 6 1/2" condenser
and lamp house (but not the D-4).

Very convenient. :D

Thanks the hunt is on! Drawing up plans for my darkroom.
Drooling over cameras & lenses.
Thinking of stuff I can sell to by more LF stuff!
Suddenly digital is very boring!