PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Technika IV front rise lever repair

Scott Whitford
29-Dec-2013, 11:12
I have a later version of the Technika IV with the plastic-tipped front rise lever.

The ratcheting function of the lever no longer works and the lever can not be used to raise the front standard.

Has anyone attempted to replace this lever as DIY? Taking a close look at the lever, it's not obvious to me how to remove it.

I'm optimistically assuming the parts are available from the factory in Germany.

Scott

Bob Salomon
29-Dec-2013, 12:20
Contact Nippon Photoclinic and see if they have the parts to repair a V. The IV all had a knob for rise. Only the V and the Master have a lever.

Darin Boville
29-Dec-2013, 19:19
I had a V that had the same problem. For some reason the gear thingy is made of plastic and can stripped if you are not careful--seems to be a common problem. Strangely fragile on a camera that is otherwise built like a tank.

I had mine repaired in the USA and it wasn't as bad as I thought in terms of cost. If memory serves it was around $175 for the fix. I had a great number of other things fixed at the same time so I don't recall exactly.

--Darin

Rollinhofuji
30-Dec-2013, 04:19
I recently purchased a Master Technika 3000 and also noticed that the rise gear is made from plastic - goes totally smooth, but indeed somehow strange on such a pricey camera. The only other plastic art (on the new models) is the rail to which the distance scales are being attached. I guess there must be a reason for using plastic on the gear...Bob, perhaps you know more?

Regards,
Jan

Bob Salomon
30-Dec-2013, 07:01
I recently purchased a Master Technika 3000 and also noticed that the rise gear is made from plastic - goes totally smooth, but indeed somehow strange on such a pricey camera. The only other plastic art (on the new models) is the rail to which the distance scales are being attached. I guess there must be a reason for using plastic on the gear...Bob, perhaps you know more?

Regards,
Jan

First there are all types of plastic. Your car bumpers are plastic. Bulletproof glass is plastic, the toughest luggage is plastic, football helmets are plastic. Among other properties, the material Linhof uses on all of their sliding parts are self-lubricating. This is far better then having to keep lubricating a part.

Vick Ko
1-Jan-2014, 19:33
There was another thread on this. I replaced the gear on the lever myself. There is a cover plate on the lever that needs to be removed. On mine, I used a pin spanner. On the IV, it might be covered by leatherette. Anyway, remove it and the rest of the assembly should be obvious and straightforward to take apart.

You may need to contact Linhof (Germany) or your country dealer to get the replacement parts.

Good luck

Kuzano
2-Jan-2014, 12:19
I recently (about a year) had a broken lever on a linhof Technika back (version IV). I scoured the internet for parts and found a rep for Linhof, and was able to buy the new improved parts for very reasonable. The gentleman who helped me was quite old and very accomodating and was the current US rep for Linhof parts in the US (East Coast). I later received a letter from the company he represented that he had passed away, and his accounts were re-assigned to another party.

My point here is that these parts are still available as current stock for the Linhof camera's. I may be able to turn up the invoice on those parts and direct some of you to the company that offers the parts. The whole communication to contact the man (I think his name was Morris) send pics of the parts although he already knew what I needed, pay for them and get them at my delivery address was two weeks.

If you want to PM me to see if I can find the invoice, company and letter about his demise, please do so. I am cleaning up a bunch of paperwork from the last year, and may run across that invoice.

Lars

Bob Salomon
2-Jan-2014, 12:35
I recently (about a year) had a broken lever on a linhof Technika back (version IV). I scoured the internet for parts and found a rep for Linhof, and was able to buy the new improved parts for very reasonable. The gentleman who helped me was quite old and very accomodating and was the current US rep for Linhof parts in the US (East Coast). I later received a letter from the company he represented that he had passed away, and his accounts were re-assigned to another party.

My point here is that these parts are still available as current stock for the Linhof camera's. I may be able to turn up the invoice on those parts and direct some of you to the company that offers the parts. The whole communication to contact the man (I think his name was Morris) send pics of the parts although he already knew what I needed, pay for them and get them at my delivery address was two weeks.

If you want to PM me to see if I can find the invoice, company and letter about his demise, please do so. I am cleaning up a bunch of paperwork from the last year, and may run across that invoice.

Lars

Lars,

As I have announced several times before. The owner of Marflex Service, Martin Arndt, passed away last March. All of his parts inventory for both Wista and Linhof as well as his Copal and Compur parts were purchased by the current Linhof service center, Nippon Photoclinic in New York City.

"these parts are still available as current stock for the Linhof camera's."

No, these parts may still be available from Nippon even though they may no longer be available from the factory. The availability of factory parts depends on what model the camera is and how old it is. Please keep in mind, the first Master Technika was made in Sept of 1972! So the current Master Technika is soon entering its 43rd year of production. Things have changed position on the body as well as design over those years so not all parts for the earlier ones are available and for older model cameras parts specific to the camera are not made anymore.

Corran
2-Jan-2014, 13:38
And Nippon is a terrible company. I have emailed them several times now about replacement parts for a Wista, with only one response of "I'm not sure what that part is." Not looking forward to ever having to need service for my Linhofs, so I guess I better take care of them, though as noted they seem basically bulletproof.

Bob Salomon
2-Jan-2014, 13:57
Why not call them? 212 982-3177

Darin Boville
2-Jan-2014, 21:59
As I have announced several times before. The owner of Marflex Service, Martin Arndt, passed away last March. All of his parts inventory for both Wista and Linhof as well as his Copal and Compur parts were purchased by the current Linhof service center, Nippon Photoclinic in New York City.

Hi Bob,

I hadn't heard that. Sorry to hear that he died. Seemed like a nice guy.

--Darin

Dietrich Floeter
10-Feb-2015, 10:29
I just finished the lens rise lever repair with parts from Precision Camera Works. The toughest part was reassembling the handle assembly to the post and aligning the circular gear on the three sided post. For $27.50 the camera is once again a perfect example of great German engineering.

Jac@stafford.net
16-May-2015, 13:45
I know this is an early thread, but while doing some business, I found that SK Grimes makes a brass rack to replace the plastic Linhof front rise rack. See it here. http://www.skgrimes.com/whats-new/2011-2/linhof-rise-rack

Darin Boville
16-May-2015, 15:48
I know this is an early thread, but while doing some business, I found that SK Grimes makes a brass rack to replace the plastic Linhof front rise rack. See it here. http://www.skgrimes.com/whats-new/2011-2/linhof-rise-rack

Well, that's interesting. i wonder how it works in the field? I wonder the cost?

--Darin

Jac@stafford.net
21-May-2015, 07:36
Well, that's interesting. i wonder how it works in the field? I wonder the cost?

I have made an inquiry and will let you know.

Jac@stafford.net
26-May-2015, 09:23
I have made an inquiry and will let you know.

It turns out that the brass rise track was a one-off part. $600.