PDA

View Full Version : This lens is still a mystery

Shootar401
27-Dec-2013, 07:36
Still, after over a year I cannot find out anything about this lens I acquired a few years back There are no markings on it except for the apertures. They read 16, 32, 64, 128, 256 & 512 (the old U.S. stops) The lens measures 2-1/4" x 1". The glass measures 1" is Diameter. I measured the lens to be about a 7" focal length. Currently it's mounted on my Speed for some testing this weekend.

Like said, there are no markings on it at all, no numbers or stamps. So I have no clue. I looked through a few catalogs from the 1900's to 1920's I saw a few that came close, but nothing exact. I know it shouldn't matter much as long as the lens works, but it's bugging me that I don't know anything about it.

E. von Hoegh
27-Dec-2013, 07:47
Looks like a WARR - Wide angle Rapid Rectilinear. Have you looked to see how the front and rear cells are made up? How much of an 8x10 GG does it cover? By 'cover' I mean an image that will be fairly sharp (stopped down to say f:32) into the corners.

Steven Tribe
27-Dec-2013, 08:25
US system (1890's?). Symmetrical WA RR. There were a lot of "freelance/bootleg" makers of these - quite legally, as patent protection was just a short period of years. This design was excellent - only disadvantage was the lack of space between the lenses for a shutter blades and the iris. A 1" lens and 7" efl suggest a lens that could cover fullplate size. Not architectual views, though.

Andrew Plume
27-Dec-2013, 08:33
Still, after over a year I cannot find out anything about this lens I acquired a few years back There are no markings on it except for the apertures. They read 16, 32, 64, 128, 256 & 512 (the old U.S. stops) The lens measures 2-1/4" x 1". The glass measures 1" is Diameter. I measured the lens to be about a 7" focal length. Currently it's mounted on my Speed for some testing this weekend.

Like said, there are no markings on it at all, no numbers or stamps. So I have no clue. I looked through a few catalogs from the 1900's to 1920's I saw a few that came close, but nothing exact. I know it shouldn't matter much as long as the lens works, but it's bugging me that I don't know anything about it.

the long and short of it, is that you will not, I'm afraid, there are scores of WARR's and RR's out there with no indication at all of the manufacturer

regards

andrew

Shootar401
27-Dec-2013, 10:19
Thanks for the info. I am still hoping someone out there has this exact lens and know what it is. I'm just guessing on the US stops since it goes to 512 which is equal to about f/128 and seems about right. But it could also be Collinear stops, so I won't know until I go shoot.

Andrew Plume
27-Dec-2013, 10:21
you will also find additional/longer focal lengths when you use either element solely

regards

andrew

E. von Hoegh
27-Dec-2013, 11:40
Thanks for the info. I am still hoping someone out there has this exact lens and know what it is. I'm just guessing on the US stops since it goes to 512 which is equal to about f/128 and seems about right. But it could also be Collinear stops, so I won't know until I go shoot.

Uniform System 16 equals f:16, US 32 = f:22, and so on. Therefore US 512 equals f:90. If the lens is 7" focal length, the aperture at 16 will be slightly less than one-half inch in diameter - which appears to be the case going by your picture.

goamules
27-Dec-2013, 11:45
Thanks for the info. I am still hoping someone out there has this exact lens and know what it is. ...

Well, that's going to be a problem, if there is no manufacturer marking. The Wide Angle Symmetrical (aka Rectilinears) were made by most lens companies in the 1800s. So any and every WAR will look "exactly like" yours.

E. von Hoegh
27-Dec-2013, 11:48
Well, that's going to be a problem, if there is no manufacturer marking. The Wide Angle Rectilinears were made by most lens companies in the 1800s. So any and every WAR will look "exactly like" yours.

"this exact lens" would carry no markings... (bewildered smiley)

Mark Sawyer
27-Dec-2013, 17:12
Just a note on RR's, WAR's, and WARR's... To be a "Rapid" Rectilinear, a lens should have a maximum f/stop of f/8, (faster will be an "Extra Rapid Rectilinear, or some similar variation). There are normal Rapid Rectilinears, f/8 with a main barrel proportional to most Petzvals, Wide Angle Rapid" Rectilinears, also f/8 but with a noticeably shorter barrel and wider coverage, and Wide Angle Rectilinears, with a maximum aperture of f/16 or so, a very short barrel and very wide angle coverage. The lens in question is a Wide Angle Rectilinear.

A RR will cover around 55-60 degrees, a WARR around 70-80 degrees, and a WAR around 90+ degrees. (My Neuhring WAR is about 5" and covers 8x10, so about 105 degrees.)

ImSoNegative
27-Dec-2013, 23:37
I have a lens very similar looking to that one, mine is very soft wide open and there is no markings on it as well, its an f8 I believe.