PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone in October??

Peter Rip
30-Aug-2004, 20:53
I am getting the itch to shoot in a new location. Never been to Yellowstone and was wondering if Yellowstone in October would be interesting. Does anyone have any thoughts? Is the second week in Oct too early? I have been told that Yellowstone is very 'touristy' and that it is better to go when there is snow to hide all the walkways.

If October is a reasonable time, any suggestions of sites to visit to get something interesting, but not a postcard? Thanks.

John Kasaian
30-Aug-2004, 22:18
Peter,

If the crowds in Yellowstone are anything like Yosemite, October would be a fine time to visit. Being farther north you might have autumn colors to boot! Once colleges and schools are in session the crowds in the National Parks tend to taper off. I've only seen a very small part of Yellowstone (in April) and I can't wait for the opportunity to visit the park again. FWIW, April in West Yellowstone is a real trip watch the locals batten down the hatches in preparation for the tourist swell (the atmosphere is kind of like Shreveport LA bracing for a hurricane to hit!) By all means if you can, take in the Grand Tetons just south of Yellowstone since you'll be in the nieghborhood.

Enjoy!

Kirk Keyes
31-Aug-2004, 10:34
I've been to Yellowstone the first week of October and the crowds are much less than in summer. It's by no means a ghost-town, but there are fewer people. You may catch some color in the aspens then too. And be prepared for cold weather. We had snow on the ground as it had snowed a few days before we arrived.

Kirk

Matt Long
31-Aug-2004, 11:21
Peter:

If you wish to catch any fall colors in YNP, the second week of October will probably be too late -- I would recommend visiting around the first of October. However, the quality of the colors may be kind of iffy. I live approximately 55 miles north of YNP and the region has been in the 6th year of drought, which can make for short-lived autumnal displays. While the snowpack in the Upper Yellowstone basin was abysmal this last winter, our summer was relatively mild with occasional rains. So... I guess what I am trying to say is that it's a crap shoot!

One of the nicest things about visiting Yellowstone in the fall is the lack of tourists (relatively speaking). Even if the colors aren't too great, you'll still have an excellent opportunity to view wildlife. Be prepared for any weather conditions and remember that many tourist facilities will be closed by October. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. Cheers!

Jim Rice
31-Aug-2004, 11:32
That would be one hell of a hurricane there John, seeing as Shreveport is about 150 miles inland. :P

John Kasaian
31-Aug-2004, 14:49
Jim,

Its no wonder, I always get hopelessly lost whenever I'm South of Bakersfield! I spent most of the 1980's driving around the Southwest trying to find Bisbee Arizona;-)

Peter Rip
31-Aug-2004, 15:07
Thanks for the counsel, guys. I'm sensing that this may not be a 'high yield' time/place combination. I think I'll start thinking about somewhere else for October.

Thanks.

Jim Rice
31-Aug-2004, 15:39
Did you ever find it?

John Kasaian
31-Aug-2004, 17:21
Yes, in 1934---it was in May. As I recall, She wore blue, the nazis wore gray...no wait, that was a Casablanca! Make that 1984! Was that a movie too? I'm so confused!

Cheers!

sidmac
4-May-2009, 11:38
Try Rocky Mountain NP in October. It quiets down after Labor Day and the colors are not to bad in October.
Sid

Eric Woodbury
4-May-2009, 12:06
Remember that if (more like when) it snows, they don't plow in Yellowstone. At least they didn't when I was there one September. Be prepared to hang out a bit while it melts.

Ivan J. Eberle
4-May-2009, 12:57
Nice comments on Yellowstone but I wonder if the original poster is going to look back at this thread started nearly 5 years ago-- but just now come out of hibernation in the past week?

That said, most services in Yellowstone are closed and winterized after the first week in October. The roads are open but it's suddenly a couple of hours additional driving to find a place sleep, shower, or eat, to and then return to that spot the next morning (I'm thinking of places like Hayden Valley).

Oh, and BTW, the Upper Yellowstone is about to break the grip of a years-long drought.

Deane Johnson
4-May-2009, 16:05
I have to wonder why a thread asking about Yellowstone in October with the last post in 2004 suddenly gets resurrected in 2009 by a new member who just happens to have a link in his sig for Yellowstone Park Tours. Me, suspicious, naw, not at all!

Jon Wilson
18-Sep-2010, 16:52
We are heading here the middle of October, any suggestions of what to expect for picture opportunities? Any suggestions?

eddie
18-Sep-2010, 18:14
We are heading here the middle of October, any suggestions of what to expect for picture opportunities? Any suggestions?

me too. see you there jon!

we will be in the park on the 15th and plan to stay a week.....and hit the tetons too....:)

Ivan J. Eberle
19-Sep-2010, 22:09
You'll probably have snow this year, there's some on the high peaks already...at least as of two days ago.
Note that Hayden Pass is closed by the second week of Oct as is the even more interesting Beartooth Hwy. Chief Joseph stays open all year.
Services are nil after the first week in Oct. and that includes all hotels inside the park and most of them in the gateway communities. Campgrounds are also mostly if not all shut. Suggest a vehicle you can comfortably boondock it in, weather is usually nasty by then as well.

Ivan J. Eberle
26-Sep-2010, 11:12
That's total BS. Services hotels, and campgrounds inside the park are shuttered by the first week in Oct.

Ivan J. Eberle
29-Sep-2010, 16:01
Note that Hayden Pass is closed by the second week of Oct

Meant Dunraven Pass... not Hayden