PDA

View Full Version : Red Eastman Kodak Darkroom Timer - Bell?

goamules
21-Dec-2013, 18:20
In the darkroom, I use a MK I Calibrated Ear, counting seconds to a clicking clock in there. But picked up a red Kodak timer at a yard sale. Now that I have it home, I'm not hearing it chime or stop like a regular timer. So, do these do anything more than just start sweeping the second hand when you move the lever from "stop" to "start?"
If that's it, it's just a stopwatch right? You have to be paying attention and pull your developing paper or film with it arrives at the timing you chose? Doesn't seem very useful, if nice looking.

http://img0.etsystatic.com/016/0/6004802/il_570xN.457957742_10nn.jpg

lenser
21-Dec-2013, 18:30
I have one too, but I just bought it to display and have never used it. You have the directions on the tag. What does the other side say? Can you send another image of the back side of that tag, please?

goamules
22-Dec-2013, 06:36
This is the model I have, but not my picture. I hacked it off the net, I didn't feel like taking a shot of mine last night.

Chauncey Walden
22-Dec-2013, 10:02
It is the timer I use for processing film. Pour the developer and slide the switch. Watch the time go by. So retro. Made when utility could also have beauty.

winterclock
22-Dec-2013, 12:42
Mine has no bell either, we're expected to pay attention. I ended up getting a Gralab to actually use, my wife grabbed the Kodak for shelf sitting.

Ironage
22-Dec-2013, 13:07
Works good for to get consistency while developing enlargements, washing film and paper, and exposing alternative processes to sunlight. Does the job without bells and whistles!

Jerry Bodine
22-Dec-2013, 14:06
At one time I had three of these for timing workflow. One became so corroded and stiff controls that I had to trash it. The other two were donated to a fellow whose daughter was just starting darkroom work (glad to promote darkroom work). So going from memory, three controls on the backside. The winged knob is for occasional winding, the other two are for setting the minutes and the seconds (by pulling the knob out and then turning while holding out). Slider switch on front starts/stops. Can be adjusted on the back for accuracy with fast/slow setting. Timer counts up, not down, and keeps on going until stopped, no bell. Photo of backside here (swiped from evilBay):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251373088511&item=251373088511

Michael Cienfuegos
26-Dec-2013, 21:08
I have one that is just like new, but the box had seen better days. It works, but it is just a shelf queen. My GF thinks it is pretty, and since it was only $15 on *bay I can't complain.

C_Remington
27-Dec-2013, 20:05
These are stupid. They're not a timer. They're a stop watch. Completely useless.

Bill Burk
27-Dec-2013, 22:07
I use mine fairly regularly, for example when developing sheet film.

Four ticks a second helps me maintain consistent agitation.

At a glance I can see approximately how many minutes have passed, (I use an infrared viewer so I can see it in the dark).

But my official development time's-up chime comes from a CompnTemp up in the rafters which is covered by a cardboard flap when I develop film...