PDA

View Full Version : Large format in the wild!

Darin Boville
19-Dec-2013, 01:20
Stumble across a LF camera out "in the wild"? Take a pict of the camera and photographer and post it here--if you see yourself or someone you know chime in!

Yosemite over Thanksgiving weekend, 2013 (photographed by my wife):

--Darin

D-tach
19-Dec-2013, 04:20
What a beast! He looks a bit stressed though. Well I would be with probably 40 digisnappers watching me closely instead of the valley, pulling that huge dark slide, stepping down the ladder, walking to the front of the camera to notice that the shutter preview is still open

vinny
19-Dec-2013, 04:38
we all know who that is. pretty famous californian:)
I've only seen other lf'ers in california, nowhere else.

Scott --
19-Dec-2013, 05:32
Recently we were in Florence, Italy. When we rolled up on the hotel, there was a young-ish (say, early 20s) guy sitting on the pavement out front, pointing a large (larger than 8x10) camera, which appeared homemade, at the surrounding area. I didn't approach him, but he was having a bear of a time dealing with the high winds. His dark cloth blew off twice while we were checking in. Only second time I've ever seen a LF photog out shooting, the first being an 8x10 in Yellowstone.

Vaughn
19-Dec-2013, 11:38
Really too close to a road to be 'in the wild', but close enough. (based on the OP's photo).

"Vaughn's Shadow Takes a Vacation" (5x7 contact print), and an image of me that appeared in the Fresno Bee several years ago.

Drew Wiley
19-Dec-2013, 12:37
I don't think any location with hundreds of tour buses whizzing by and a typical summer population of over thirty thousand inhabitants exactly qualifies as wild. So
you should logically scratch Yosemite Valley off that list. When I was growing up, we routinely referred to that place as "the city". But there are significant sections
within the overall Park boundaries where you might walk for a week and have only 50/50 odds of encountering anyone else. ... but I don't think I'd want to be toting
anything bigger than a 4x5 system in those places. Maybe what you need is a more tightly sealed bellows ... containing helium. Which is bigger, that camera or the
Ahwahnee Hotel ?

Darin Boville
19-Dec-2013, 13:45
O.K., guys, don't get all he-manish on me. "In the wild"--notice the quotes!!--just refers to seeing a stranger out of doors with a LF camera. A mall parking lot would be "in the wild." Now post those photos!

--Darin

Drew Wiley
19-Dec-2013, 17:13
... Oh my mistake... I thought it was his motorhome, with the camera somewhere behind that windshield.

Darin Boville
19-Dec-2013, 17:24
Luckily he had an assistant with him. But the camera *was* bigger than they car he was driving!

--Darin

StoneNYC
19-Dec-2013, 21:24
I'm honestly the only LF shooter I've ever met let alone seen in the wild, hah! I almost made it to a LF meetup but I thought it was at night but instead it was at 2pm... Old guys go to sleep so early... LOL

I do know on friend who ordered a brand new $7,500 4x5 got it, and then sold it for $5,000 for no foreseeable reason except he decided to shoot digital instead... Insane... We had planned to go out shooting together sometime and then sold his before my body came on the mail... Hah!

I would be so excited to just to meet any LF'rs

David Karp
19-Dec-2013, 23:42
I don't have any pics, but Yosemite is the only other place I have been where I saw another LF photographer (barring those occasions when I have been out with a buddy photographing). Amazingly, I have been there many, many times, but have only bumped into another LF photographer 4, maybe 5, times at most.

ImSoNegative
20-Dec-2013, 00:27
I live in north ga. and I go up to the smokey mountain national park several times a year and one time about 10 years ago I saw a guy standing on the side of the road photographing something, looked like he was using an 8x10 but wasn't sure, and only one other time I have seen a film camera a couple of years ago I stumbled up on a guy that was using a yasicha 124, after we talked a bit, I remembered I had some color 120 film that I had buried in my bag and I gave to him, I didn't even have a medium format camera at the time.

jp
20-Dec-2013, 09:59
I see LF photographers regularly around town in the summer. (They are students at Maine Media Workshops+College from the next town over.) I have found one other person in town once shooting wet plates. Had a little LF meetup prior to a Paul Caponigro talk this fall. I have seen another person using a speed graphic at a motorsports event at Limerock park in CT.

Stone, put this on your calendar:
http://www.tillmancrane.com/workshop_03.php

Fifth Annual Photographers' Retreat

April 11 (Friday) – 13 (Sunday), 2014
Johnstown, New York

I'd go, but I'm on call and can't be further than 1 hour away from home.

StoneNYC
20-Dec-2013, 10:13
I see LF photographers regularly around town in the summer. (They are students at Maine Media Workshops+College from the next town over.) I have found one other person in town once shooting wet plates. Had a little LF meetup prior to a Paul Caponigro talk this fall. I have seen another person using a speed graphic at a motorsports event at Limerock park in CT.

Stone, put this on your calendar:
http://www.tillmancrane.com/workshop_03.php

Fifth Annual Photographers' Retreat

April 11 (Friday) – 13 (Sunday), 2014
Johnstown, New York

I'd go, but I'm on call and can't be further than 1 hour away from home.

Thanks I'll check it out, though it doesn't seem to be specific to LF'rs or to film photographers

jp
20-Dec-2013, 10:19
Get in touch with one of the organizers for more details. Tillman tends to attract/associate with LF crowd since he does pretty much exclusively platinum contact prints.

Drew Wiley
20-Dec-2013, 10:32
I've only taken a handful of shots in what tourists would identify as Yosemite (versus backcountry), but did routinely drive over Tioga and past the Valley on my
way to family property south of the park, many, many times. So I've seen lots of LF photographers along the road, not only in the Valley but especially Olmstead Pt too. Another spot I've run into them is Mono Lk, where workshops seem common with the usual suspects. I've encountered them well back into the Wind River range in Wyoming, and quite a few incidental places, esp around here in the Bay Area, which is also a magnet for photography in general. But it is getting less common. By far the majority I've encountered in places like Yosemite were clearly beginners - some of them pulling brand new, very expensive studio cameras right out of their new boxes. Gets kinda entertaining when someone is trying to prop up an 8x10 Sinar P atop a flimsy ball head trying to figure out how to keep it from wobbling, or how to focus it. I had one relatively famous photographer complain to me once that he didn't understand why his workshop attendees wanted to travel so far and spend so much money just to have him waste all his time showing them how to focus their new cameras. ... then he asked me if I could get them
lost for him, so he could do a little photography of his own. I've have backpacking "guides" make similar remarks about their paying clients... "Please get them lost
for me. I'll pay you."

lenser
20-Dec-2013, 11:01
I ran into a couple of medium format shooters at a slightly remote area on a stream in the Smokies in the mid 90's. On a trip to Yellowstone in 84 (?), I was hauling my 8x10 Ansco across a parking lot to try my hand at some rapids on a nearby stream when a guy pulled alongside in his car and introduced himself as that years artist/photographer in residence and complimented the brass lens and the fact that I was using large format. Wish I had had the good sense to spend more time talking and getting his contact info.

The most recent was a few years ago here in Springfield, Mo when I was driving along one of the main secondary roads in town and spotted a fellow Kodak Master 8x10 user engaging an interesting group of tree trunks. Turned out to be one of the photography professors at the university here.

I nearly forgot about 1967 when I visited friends at Fort Ord in Pacific Grove and they drove me down to several places on the beautiful Seventeen Mile Drive including a few stops right on the ocean. I was just barely beginning to understand the rudiments of photography but I knew enough to watch from a short distance while this white bearded gentleman worked with what I think was a Linhoff, exposing a few sheets of spray patterns as waves were hitting rocks. No Stetson, so it definitely wasn't Mr. Adams, but it was certainly someone of his generation who clearly knew what he was doing. My little Yashica Lynx 14 was suddenly not nearly so interesting after watching his efforts with that 4x5.

Then there was another medium format encounter in the early 70's with only a beautiful RB67 on a tripod. It was at Aspen Glen Campground near Estes Park. No photographer, just the camera off by itself in a small grove a few dozen yards from the camp sites. Hung around for awhile, but the owner never showed up, so I left well enough alone and finished my short hike around the grounds.

I've been the object of these encounters more often than the one who does the finding. Several thumbs up from passing cars, a few starers, once in awhile curious folks with questions (always welcome), and a handful of real sit down discussions often leading to good leads on other sites to shoot.

djdister
20-Dec-2013, 11:05
I agree. I've been involved with several of Tillman's workshops, and although he is generally format-agnostic in terms of who can participate, he is most definitely a large format shooter. I'm pretty sure all of his work is large format, as well as the books and prints he sells, so any other LF'ers would be well suited to attend any of Tillman's workshops. In fact, here is a shot of Tillman at work along the Erie Canal in New York (I hope he doesn't mind my posting this).

(at the risk of pointing out the obvious, Tillman is using an 8x10 Deardorff with what I believe is a 14" Veritar lens)

Get in touch with one of the organizers for more details. Tillman tends to attract/associate with LF crowd since he does pretty much exclusively platinum contact prints.

StoneNYC
20-Dec-2013, 12:15
I agree. I've been involved with several of Tillman's workshops, and although he is generally format-agnostic in terms of who can participate, he is most definitely a large format shooter. I'm pretty sure all of his work is large format, as well as the books and prints he sells, so any other LF'ers would be well suited to attend any of Tillman's workshops. In fact, here is a shot of Tillman at work along the Erie Canal in New York (I hope he doesn't mind my posting this).

Wow that cape is really a great idea! :)

peter schrager
20-Dec-2013, 23:47
I've been to several of the retreats when they were held at Peter's Valley. it is a no miss time. we had a ball although still a little bit cold in the year. go if you can. Tillman is a great wonderful guy and a classy photographer.
best,peter

Cletus
21-Dec-2013, 10:04
Well, again no photo and I've mentioned this once here before, but I did run into fellow LFFR Eric Biggerstaff "out in the wilds" east of Amarillo, TX about a year ago. I was stopping by an old farm silo site (that I'd photographed before) on an early foggy morning, hoping to get a few 8x10 negs for pt/pd printing.

As I drove down the dirt road to the place, I noticed someone moving around an SUV parked there, thinking it might be the owners (huh oh!) until I got close enough to see a tripod set up near his car. Wasn't I surprised to see Eric, whom I didn't know before this encounter, with his Zone VI 4x5 set up and working away!

We had a nice little chat, enjoyed the improbability of meeting another LF shooter in such an out of the way place, then said goodbye and went on about our morning travels.

jp
21-Dec-2013, 19:21
Hey, that could have me!

?

life_in_sepia
21-Dec-2013, 19:58
Fujiroid of me in Yosemite getting a 16x20 plate for the Octotych…

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5542/11488950686_bc72862298_c.jpg

Winger
21-Dec-2013, 22:36
Re the Tillman Crane retreat - Johnstown, NY is less than 45 minutes from my parents' house - thanks for posting and I'm going to try and make this. There's lots of decrepit stuff to shoot in the Mohawk Valley, too. Though there very well could be snow then, too.

Heroique
21-Dec-2013, 23:52
I've walked up and down the valleys of the Olympics. I've climbed the ridges and explored the meadows of the N. Cascades. I've searched for landscape shots all over Idaho and Montana, including Yellowstone...

But I've never come across another LF photographer. Not one. Anywhere. My whole life.

I figure it's just a matter of time, and when it happens, my first comment will probably be, "My friend, I've been wondering where you've been."

Meantime, it's fun to see these images.

Gives me hope that I'm not alone in the universe!

StoneNYC
22-Dec-2013, 05:40
I've walked up and down the valleys of the Olympics. I've climbed the ridges and explored the meadows of the N. Cascades. I've searched for landscape shots all over Idaho and Montana, including Yellowstone...

But I've never come across another LF photographer. Not one. Anywhere. My whole life.

I figure it's just a matter of time, and when it happens, my first comment will probably be, "My friend, I've been wondering where you've been."

Meantime, it's fun to see these images.

Gives me hope that I'm not alone in the universe!

What a great line!! May I steal it? Who knows, perhaps I'll be saying it to you? Hah! :)

StoneNYC
22-Dec-2013, 05:55
Fujiroid of me in Yosemite getting a 16x20 plate for the Octotych…

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5542/11488950686_bc72862298_c.jpg

Hah! Doesn't your wood working biker friend come with you often? Gah I'm blanking on his name, but he's on Instagram... Lol! Post him! :)

HoodedOne
22-Dec-2013, 06:32
For the Dutch Analog Forum (Dutch only, sorry guys). We organize meetings from time to time. And sometimes we pick a theme for the meeting. This was for the "Anything larger than 35mm meeting".

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3684/8929215198_31a87fd421_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoodedone-photos/8929215198/)
P2013-031.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoodedone-photos/8929215198/) by HoodedOne (http://www.flickr.com/people/hoodedone-photos/), on Flickr

Patrick13
22-Dec-2013, 14:05
?

Wonder if I could get away with a crown graphic at the Long Beach GP, it's usually pretty crowded but there are some bridge vantage spots that would work... Maybe my 6x9 back and some Ektar otherwise I'd go broke. Thanks for the idea :)

StoneNYC
22-Dec-2013, 15:46
Wonder if I could get away with a crown graphic at the Long Beach GP, it's usually pretty crowded but there are some bridge vantage spots that would work... Maybe my 6x9 back and some Ektar otherwise I'd go broke. Thanks for the idea :)

If you're at the beach you might be able to clear a spot, show up after not shaving for a week, don't comb your hair after getting up in the morning and walk with a gimp, mumble to yourself, and drool a little, then you'll have a nice scenic view with no one in your frame lines :)

jp
22-Dec-2013, 16:01

I have used my speed graphic at Limerock, Road Atlanta's Mitty and Mount Washington hillclimb, in large part for vintage activities. Long Beach GP isn't vintage, but you could still make some unique and creative images by using an old camera instead of the usual mega-dslr and monster lens that most people have.

Bill_1856
22-Dec-2013, 17:50
we all know who that is. pretty famous californian:)
I've only seen other lf'ers in california, nowhere else.

Okay, I give up -- who is it?

Jody_S
22-Dec-2013, 21:36
If you're at the beach you might be able to clear a spot, show up after not shaving for a week, don't comb your hair after getting up in the morning and walk with a gimp, mumble to yourself, and drool a little, then you'll have a nice scenic view with no one in your frame lines :)

Nope. Doesn't work. But people will keep their kids away from you.

John Olsen
2-Jan-2014, 17:46
On location at Ft. Ebey State Park at the gun battery. A nice lady photographer was coming by in the process of doing a senior portrait at the battery and snapped a shot of me also. That's the Puget Sound in the background on a misty last-day-of-year. I only took one exposure (f22, 50s) and will develop it tomorrow. Dark and gloomy are us.

StoneNYC
3-Jan-2014, 11:49
On location at Ft. Ebey State Park at the gun battery. A nice lady photographer was coming by in the process of doing a senior portrait at the battery and snapped a shot of me also. That's the Puget Sound in the background on a misty last-day-of-year. I only took one exposure (f22, 50s) and will develop it tomorrow. Dark and gloomy are us.

Nice everything, but I'm drawn to the tripod and it's "shelf" for hanging your dark cloth (black jacket?).

John Olsen
3-Jan-2014, 18:41
Nice everything, but I'm drawn to the tripod and it's "shelf" for hanging your dark cloth (black jacket?).

It's a Gitzo Studex (?) from 1988 and the up down tilt control lever is about 1' long, convenient for hanging my dark cloth. The 3 axis head is solid and minutely adjustable: I use this tripod even for digicam work when the alignment of the frame is critical. The down side is that the tripod is 17 lbs. of steel. I've never met a loose dog who wasn't intimidated by it in full swing, but it is a little too much for real hiking.

ImSoNegative
3-Jan-2014, 22:41
I'm honestly the only LF shooter I've ever met let alone seen in the wild, hah! I almost made it to a LF meetup but I thought it was at night but instead it was at 2pm... Old guys go to sleep so early... LOL

I do know on friend who ordered a brand new $7,500 4x5 got it, and then sold it for $5,000 for no foreseeable reason except he decided to shoot digital instead... Insane... We had planned to go out shooting together sometime and then sold his before my body came on the mail... Hah!

I would be so excited to just to meet any LF'rs

I don't know of anyone around here that shoots LF, since I have been shooting large format I have seen 1 person on the side of the road near Gatlinburg tenn. shooting what looked like an 8x10, hadn't see another.

StoneNYC
4-Jan-2014, 10:13
I don't know of anyone around here that shoots LF, since I have been shooting large format I have seen 1 person on the side of the road near Gatlinburg tenn. shooting what looked like an 8x10, hadn't see another.

Gregory Crewdson teaches at Yale, 25 minutes from where I live but I haven't seen him either... Lol

Darin Boville
4-Jan-2014, 12:39
Gregory Crewdson teaches at Yale, 25 minutes from where I live but I haven't seen him either... Lol

But I don't think Crewdson actually touches the camera, might be hard to a get a shot to post here... :)

--Darin

StoneNYC
4-Jan-2014, 14:09
But I don't think Crewdson actually touches the camera, might be hard to a get a shot to post here... :)

--Darin

He's touching the tripod/dark cloth at least...

107677 (not my shot, Wikipedia)