PDA

View Full Version : Worn Focusing rod

brucep
16-Dec-2013, 09:27
I've just stripped a 10x8 Korona view and the rod that focuses the rear standard is well worn where the springs which keep it pressed onto the rail have rubbed.

I have a few options that I can see:
1. Ignore it as it will probably still out live me.
2. Get some weld in and turn in down to the correct diameter.
3. remove the focusing gears and make a new rod, cutting splines onto the ends to match the tilt mechanism.

If I decide on option 2, should I get a specific type of weld done that minimises the risk of the weld causing the rod to bend?

If I decide on option 3, does anyone know how the toothed gears are fastened to the rod?

If anyone has had a similar probem, what option did you settle on?

I'm not looking for a quick fix as I've my 10x8 Kodak 2D to actually use, and this is supposed to be a winter long project and fixing it as as much fun as using it.

Thanks
Bruce

Jim C.
16-Dec-2013, 16:29
Does the spring still hold the rear standard or does it slide ?

If it holds then leave it, like you said it'll probably out last you, adding material via welds may make whatever straightness
the rods have worse. You also might be able to slip a brass tube to act as a bushing over the worn spots and solder it in place.
You would need to remove at least one gear to do that.

I don't own a Korona, but if the construction is similar to a 2D then the gears may have a taper
pin driven in to hold it in place, it may even be soldered on, you'll need to clean and polish the brass gear to see if it has a
taper pin which is steel. 2D's are very apparent where the gears are pinned since the pin ends protrude.

smithdoor
16-Dec-2013, 19:19
I need a photo of the part it may be one simple or very costly

Dave

I've just stripped a 10x8 Korona view and the rod that focuses the rear standard is well worn where the springs which keep it pressed onto the rail have rubbed.

I have a few options that I can see:
1. Ignore it as it will probably still out live me.
2. Get some weld in and turn in down to the correct diameter.
3. remove the focusing gears and make a new rod, cutting splines onto the ends to match the tilt mechanism.

If I decide on option 2, should I get a specific type of weld done that minimises the risk of the weld causing the rod to bend?

If I decide on option 3, does anyone know how the toothed gears are fastened to the rod?

If anyone has had a similar probem, what option did you settle on?

I'm not looking for a quick fix as I've my 10x8 Kodak 2D to actually use, and this is supposed to be a winter long project and fixing it as as much fun as using it.

Thanks
Bruce