PDA

View Full Version : End of the year...

Mark Sawyer
15-Dec-2013, 12:37
2013 will be gone soon, and I thought we might discuss some minor housekeeping of the threads, especially the image threads. My thoughts are that for more popular threads, like portraits, it makes sense to keep them monthly. The Still Life thread starts anew yearly, and perhaps that would work well for a few other threads that generate more than, say, 500 responses a year? The Collodion- Wet Plate Images (767 responses since March of '13) and Post Alternative Techniques (2,348 responses since 7/'09) might be candidates.

Or, if people like it the way it is, that's fine too...

And on a completely different subject, someone should organize a yearly Large Format Academy Awards, for Best Portrait, Best Landscape, Best Still-Life, Best Alternative Process, Best Use of Soft Focus... Submit your own from whatever you've posted this year, and members of the Academy (okay, the lf forum :rolleyes: ) can vote! (Okay, we'll never get it organized, but it would be fun... )

Peter Mounier
15-Dec-2013, 13:16
I get it.
Pixie put you up to this so she can win a title.

Mark Sawyer
15-Dec-2013, 14:46
She has her own category, and she always wins! :)

Ralph Barker
16-Dec-2013, 06:34
Interesting thoughts, Mark.

1. Housekeeping - I'm not sure what we gain, tidyness-wise, by closing image-category threads on an annual basis. (Threads would have to be closed/locked to prevent some radical soul from posting a 2014 portrait in the 2013 thread.) Instead on single long threads for each category, we'd have multiple threads with fewer posts.

2. LF Academy Awards - This might be fun, but we'd probably need a committee of some sort to organize it, and create a poll (currently limited to 15 items) for voting. Then, there's the question of the award itself. Would it be an "Ansel"? An "Eddie"? A "Biggie"? Would it be made of silver? And, how would that be funded?

Winger
16-Dec-2013, 09:09
Interesting thoughts, Mark.

1. Housekeeping - I'm not sure what we gain, tidyness-wise, by closing image-category threads on an annual basis. (Threads would have to be closed/locked to prevent some radical soul from posting a 2014 portrait in the 2013 thread.) Instead on single long threads for each category, we'd have multiple threads with fewer posts.

I think with vBulletin, longer threads become more unstable while multiple threads are easier for it to deal with. I've seen on other vB boards that some really long threads were closed and new ones started because the db was having issues with the longer ones.
It's also easier to go back and look through a shorter thread to get caught up.

Mark Sawyer
16-Dec-2013, 12:13
I'm not sure what works best for people on the longer threads. With portraits, the monthly thread keeps them a reasonable size, but the multi-year landscape thread is quite large and it's not an issue so far. The yearly Still Life thread is in-between. I just thought the new year would be a good time to consider it. It doesn't matter to me, as I think there's only one thread that's really important! :o

AtlantaTerry
16-Dec-2013, 12:24
And on a completely different subject, someone should organize a yearly Large Format Academy Awards, for Best Portrait, Best Landscape, Best Still-Life, Best Alternative Process, Best Use of Soft Focus...

Mark,

I suspect like the word "Olympics" you can not use the phrase "Academey Awards" because it is a protected mark of SMPAS (Society of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences).

I don't care one bit but I would not want to see you get a letter from their overpaid lawyers.

›---›

Why not free up a bunch of server space by dumping all the For Sale threads where the item(s) have sold? Does anyone really care if a 135mm Wollensak lens sold in 2009?

Along that line, why not give the Original Poster a "kill" button so they can dump their whole thread when their item(s) sell?

Mark Sawyer
16-Dec-2013, 12:59
2. LF Academy Awards - This might be fun, but we'd probably need a committee of some sort to organize it, and create a poll (currently limited to 15 items) for voting. Then, there's the question of the award itself. Would it be an "Ansel"? An "Eddie"? A "Biggie"? Would it be made of silver? And, how would that be funded?

I think red mahogany and brass would be the right materials. Or maybe cherrywood and brass. And I'm sure the moderators would pick up the tab! :rolleyes:

I can't come up with the perfect name though... :(

Vaughn
16-Dec-2013, 14:11
...by closing image-category threads on an annual basis. (Threads would have to be closed/locked to prevent some radical soul from posting a 2014 portrait in the 2013 thread.) Instead on single long threads for each category, we'd have multiple threads with fewer posts...

Threads may not have to closed -- there is a possibility that someone might get around to replying to a mis-placed post about where they should actually go...

The AA's -- we could just go by the number of views an image gets. Oh, and remind me to do some nudes (holding kittens!)

jcoldslabs
16-Dec-2013, 14:40
Why not free up a bunch of server space by dumping all the For Sale threads where the item(s) have sold? Does anyone really care if a 135mm Wollensak lens sold in 2009?

One reason for keeping the old "For Sale" threads intact is that they constitute a valuable repository of information on a broad spectrum of photo gear. I can't tell you how many times I have done a Google search for a certain vintage lens or camera I am thinking of buying and the most informative hits (with photos) have been from old for sale listings here.

Jonathan

Corran
17-Dec-2013, 08:01
Indeed, the FS posts are an important determiner of value.

Just "closing" the threads to prevent further posts would be of value. I've participated in many forums where the user could close their thread at any time. It makes sense, at least limited to that forum. Multiple times I have sold an item when it was way back on the 3rd or 4th page, didn't bump it with a "SOLD" post, and then gotten posts or messages on it months later.

BradS
17-Dec-2013, 08:39
with respect to housekeeping in the image sharing threads: I really appreciate that the portrait thread is new each and every month! and I'd really like to see the longer threads closed and started anew...at least once per year. I don't even bother looking in the landscape image sharing thread anymore, for example...it's just too long and tedious to get through.

Ralph Barker
18-Dec-2013, 05:39
...it's just too long and tedious to get through.

You don't use the "go to first new post" icon at the left of the thread title?

BradS
18-Dec-2013, 08:28

You don't use the "go to first new post" icon at the left of the thread title?

Yes. I do but that only gets me to the twentieth page or so.

StoneNYC
18-Dec-2013, 22:40
I'm not sure what works best for people on the longer threads. With portraits, the monthly thread keeps them a reasonable size, but the multi-year landscape thread is quite large and it's not an issue so far. The yearly Still Life thread is in-between. I just thought the new year would be a good time to consider it. It doesn't matter to me, as I think there's only one thread that's really important! :o

The monthly portrait is a but annoying, I don't always process when I shoot, and don't know which month to put it in, also I keep having to search for the new thread when the month changes and so eventually I stopped bothering, it was a bit un-motivating, and seems unnecessary.

Yearly makes more sense, I just wish they all had the same title form factor and a forum area all their own for "image threads" so they could be easily found.

2014 - Portraits
2014 - Nudes
2014 - LF landscapes
2014 - Small Format
2014 - Medium Format (recently started)
2014 - Pixies
2014 - Fortunate Mistakes (or whatever that thread is called)
2014 - whatever I'm forgetting etc.

All contained in a "image thread" forum category for easy discovery.

This is my opinion only, just a thought.

Tim Meisburger
19-Dec-2013, 02:37
I don't have a problem with the way it works now, but I do think monthly nicer. As to when to post, post it in whatever month you are in. That is the convention ("I shot this in '86 and just got around to processing it last night...)

I never knew that dohicky was there! :)

I tend to just hit the new posts and see what look interesting.

rdenney
19-Dec-2013, 18:29
We are discussing the image threads suggestions.

Rick "further comments welcome" Denney