PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 on a Budget

Raffay
5-Dec-2013, 09:29
Hello All,

I am trying to get into 8x10 but have only 300 dollars saved till now. I want to know if there is a cheaper option to enter rather than waiting to save a lot of money for the likes of Deardorff etc. I thought film cameras would be cheaper to get, but unfortunately doesn't seem to be the case.

Cheers

Raffay

vinny
5-Dec-2013, 09:41
why the duplicate posts on multiple websites?
watch the classifieds.

C_Remington
5-Dec-2013, 09:49
Hello All,

I am trying to get into 8x10 but have only 300 dollars saved till now. I want to know if there is a cheaper option to enter rather than waiting to save a lot of money for the likes of Deardorff etc. I thought film cameras would be cheaper to get, but unfortunately doesn't seem to be the case.

Cheers

Raffay

There's nothing inexpensive about this hobby. To shoot 8x10 will cost you about $600 to get in and then whatever material cost you per month after that. Not to mention dark room equipment and supplies if you don't already have it.

Raffay
5-Dec-2013, 09:53
Other than the obvious I want to shoot 8x10 because here in Pakistan I am not finding a 4x5 enlarger, and I believe 8x10 contact prints will be enough for me. I have darkroom supplies and I am tried X-ray on 4x5 and it worked nice. X-ray is very easy to find here and is quite cheap. Hope this clarifies.

Raffay

Korona
5-Dec-2013, 13:51
That all makes sense, and I'd agree that contact prints will be more than "good enough" - I think you'll be really pleased at the overall look of a good contact. (Nothing better!) I'd look for a Kodak 2D or similar. As long as the bellows are light-tight and you get a couple of holders, that should suffice (assuming you have a lens from your 4x5 outfit that'll cover 8x10?). If not, start the hunt for a budget lens, maybe in the 12" range.

Good luck!
Mark

Corran
5-Dec-2013, 13:57
I disagree that the entry fee is about $600. My first 8x10 from eBay was an old Korona and standard lens in shutter for $300. This was only last year. You should be able to get a beater Kodak 2D or Korona/Gundlach easily for cheap, and then find a 300mm standard lens for a bit more. I agree that you need to watch the classifieds. Now with shipping you might need to pony up a bit more cash than that though.

Good that you've already started working with x-ray film, so you are covered there.

jp
5-Dec-2013, 14:18
Film holders could be around $50
You can get an old beater Korona or 2D or Burke&James for $300ish
Lens is probably going to be $300 or more for a 300mm lens in shutter.
You may need a sturdier tripod.

Shipping the camera isn't going to cheap; they are a little bulky sometimes.

Vaughn
5-Dec-2013, 14:48
There are view cameras made in India that might suit your needs, though Pakistan/India relations might make it difficult.

Jim Noel
5-Dec-2013, 16:03
A Rajah 8x10 made in India is only about $400 new. You should be able to find a used one dirt cheap. Thee should also be a good number of no name lenses floating around India and Pakistan. SOme are quite good.

Tim Meisburger
5-Dec-2013, 17:14
Hi Raffay,

I would look around a bit there. You may be able to find an old 8x10 in Karachi. Check at old camera store and ask the staff, as these things tend to be packed away in someone's attic. Otherwise, check US ebay till you find a deal, then ask your friend to bring it out (shipping will possibly double your cost).

Also, its relatively easy to make an enlarger (see the DIY thread).

John Kasaian
5-Dec-2013, 17:51
The cheapest way is to build your own 8x10 pinhole camera, make paper negatives for your contact prints and develop in trays. This can easily be done with a tiny fraction of your $300 budget. When you have more money, add a tripod, a lens, some film holders and a bellows camera when good deals present themselves.:cool:

John Kasaian
5-Dec-2013, 17:54
If your 4x5 has a Graflock back you might want to look into a Graflarger----use your 4x5 camera & lens as an enlarger! I don't think they go for anywhere near $300 but a little research will help.

mdm
5-Dec-2013, 18:42
Or stick with 4x5, scan on your scanner and print with an inkjet. An inkjet capable of printing an 8x10 image is very cheap. Less than $300. Print other things with an inkjet too.

Raffay
5-Dec-2013, 19:33
A Rajah 8x10 made in India is only about $400 new. You should be able to find a used one dirt cheap. Thee should also be a good number of no name lenses floating around India and Pakistan. SOme are quite good.

Hi Jim,

I googled Rajah 8x10 but other than some LF links did not get anything, no website or company or any information on where to buy. I have a lot of family in India and currently my business partner is from India. So if they are still made then it would not be difficult for me to get one from there. I would appreciate if you or any other member has any information on these Raja's or any other 8x10's made in India.

Cheers

Raffay

Raffay
5-Dec-2013, 19:34
There are view cameras made in India that might suit your needs, though Pakistan/India relations might make it difficult.

Thank you for pointing that out.

Light Guru
5-Dec-2013, 20:57
I personally don't think you will be able to get everything needed for only $300. However one way you can save some money is by using X-ray film instead do regular photographic film.

Raffay
5-Dec-2013, 21:32
I personally don't think you will be able to get everything needed for only $300. However one way you can save some money is by using X-ray film instead do regular photographic film.

I understand that, the only point I was trying to make was that I want to start shooting for as low as possible. I understand that I will have to get a lens some holders that I can't do away with. But as far as the camera is concerned, I don't want to wait to save a lot of money before I buy one.

Cheers

Raffay

ImSoNegative
5-Dec-2013, 21:36
as far as a lens goes, you can get an old Turner-Reich convertible for cheap and you will have 3 focal lengths to boot, the one I have is a 12-21-28, I think it would work great for contact printing

Raffay
5-Dec-2013, 21:41
I would be doing portraits only, and would prefer to get a good lens a sharp barrel maybe, but I have no idea.

ImSoNegative
5-Dec-2013, 21:47
most of the good barrel lenses I have seen on the bay, the seller thinks they are worth a fortune, I would really keep an eye out here on the forum for a lens, or better yet, contact forum member jim galli he might have something for sale, he has lots of cool toys : )

funkydog
5-Dec-2013, 23:21
For $300, strongly consider DIY if you do not need a pretty, brand name camera to impress clients/sitters, etc. The Industar 37 300mm lens in barrel goes for under $100. You won't need a super sharp lens if you're contact printing.
The most expensive parts would be the film holders. Three used film holders could eat up your entire budget. Alternatively, have a look at modifying Russian FKD 18x24 plate cameras. They go for about $300 and up, with lens on Ebay.

Raffay
6-Dec-2013, 01:41
You won't need a super sharp lens if you're contact printing.

Why is that? Any DIY camera you know of, there is bulldog but their site is down for maintenance.

Nicolasllasera
6-Dec-2013, 02:00
Why is that? Any DIY camera you know of, there is bulldog but their site is down for maintenance.

I think he means you build it yourself. Not buying a pack. Im going to try and build a 12x20 soon. If it works I will post it in the forum. Good luck Raffay.

ImSoNegative
6-Dec-2013, 06:20
you don't need a super sharp lens for contact printing because you are not enlarging, I had a really crappy lens for my first 8x10, when I did contact prints it looked pretty good, I once used it on my 4x5 and enlarged the negative 4x to 16x20 it looked like hell haha.

Jon Shiu
6-Dec-2013, 08:59
There was a build it yourself camera called Bender. It weighed about 6 lbs. and had a real long rail.

Jon

ic-racer
6-Dec-2013, 18:05
When I started 8x10 in 2007 It cost me about $200 (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?29267-Here-we-go-Century-8x10-Restoration&p=281881&viewfull=1#post281881) (of course I spent thousands after that initial trial :) ).

ImSoNegative
6-Dec-2013, 21:44
There was a build it yourself camera called Bender. It weighed about 6 lbs. and had a real long rail.

Jon

is bender still in business?

Raffay
6-Dec-2013, 22:27
I guess not :(

Raffay
6-Dec-2013, 23:57
I have seen this but if you at their home page it says that these cameras are no longer made.

Raffay
6-Dec-2013, 23:58
I think I will save a little more money and go for the Sinar P. It seems for around 500 and later I can a 8x10 back.

funkydog
7-Dec-2013, 06:29
Incremental upgrades like this will eventually cost you way more. Have you compared the price difference between a Sinar 8x10 conversion kit vs the 8x10 camera? The complete camera doesn't cost much more.
FWIW there's a current Ebay listing for a Sinar 4x5 with 8x10 conversion , standard and wide angle bellows, film holders, two lenses, changing tent, etc etc for only 1450. I'd go for it myself if I didn't already have an 8x10.

Raffay
7-Dec-2013, 08:48
Incremental upgrades like this will eventually cost you way more. Have you compared the price difference between a Sinar 8x10 conversion kit vs the 8x10 camera? The complete camera doesn't cost much more.
FWIW there's a current Ebay listing for a Sinar 4x5 with 8x10 conversion , standard and wide angle bellows, film holders, two lenses, changing tent, etc etc for only 1450. I'd go for it myself if I didn't already have an 8x10.

Which 8x10 do you have?

Drew Bedo
11-Dec-2013, 18:46
I love my 2D. However, if you have the option of a Kodak 2D OR a B&J for the same price in 8x10 . . .get the Burk. It will have front movements that the 2D lacks.

The definition of a Yacht: "A hole in the water tino which one pours money."

To some extent this describes large format photography. The cost of gear goes up exponenially with the area of the gorund glass (below 8x10 its the area squared . . .above 8x10 it is the area of the ground glass cubed.)