PDA

View Full Version : Shim stock - how to cut it

Jac@stafford.net
29-Nov-2013, 07:22
To date I have salvaged shims from old aerial lenses, or re-used shims from other devices. (and rarely needed either)

To cut new shims from new stock sheets is tricky, for me at least. I am guessing that I need a precisely flat surface (glass?) and an Exacto knife and straight edge. Am I following the right path?

Jim Jones
29-Nov-2013, 09:09
Ordinary scissors work fine for straight lines, outside curves, and large radii inside curves in thin shim stock. For smaller inside curves, try clamping the shim stock between a coin, bottle cap, or washer the right diameter and a smooth hard surface like hardboard or Masonite, and using the Exacto knife. Glass might be harder on the Exacto blade tip.

Jac@stafford.net
29-Nov-2013, 10:29
Thanks, Jim. I was on the wrong path. You saved me some grief!

E. von Hoegh
29-Nov-2013, 10:41
Also, go over the burred side of the cut edge with a tiny folded piece of 600 grit sandpaper, you don't want the burr to give you inaccurate spacing. Are you using brass or steel?

Jac@stafford.net
29-Nov-2013, 11:01
Also, go over the burred side of the cut edge with a tiny folded piece of 600 grit sandpaper, you don't want the burr to give you inaccurate spacing. Are you using brass or steel?

Will do. I can use stainless or steel.

I might try a some fine-modeling scissors, too.

Thanks for all the help, Gentlemen.

Jim Jones
30-Nov-2013, 07:19
Brass should be easier to cut. Also, for many applications, aluminum from cans might be easiest to work with. Check it for consistent thickness.

E. von Hoegh
30-Nov-2013, 08:16
Brass should be easier to cut. Also, for many applications, aluminum from cans might be easiest to work with. Check it for consistent thickness.

I've shimmed more than a few things with paper, believe it or not. I'ts a lot more durable than you might expect, but it's mainly a "one time" shim - use metal if it's going to be dis-and re-assembled, or if the shimmed assembly will be subject to shock loads and or vibration. Use good tough bond or rag paper, not newsprint or other pulp paper. Paper can be cut to intricate shapes much easier than metal.

Tin Can
5-Dec-2013, 18:27
I used film stock to shim the other day, perfect for the application.