PDA

View Full Version : Disable Tapatalk popups

Larry Gebhardt
27-Nov-2013, 16:46
When I access the forum on my phone or iPad I get these Tapatalk popups. It's mildly annoying and could be disabled on the forum setup. https://support.tapatalk.com/threads/how-to-disable-the-tapatalk-pop-up.8032/

Is this something that could be addressed next time someone is updating the site?

D. Bryant
19-Jan-2014, 13:57
+1! Make that thing go away.

rdenney
19-Jan-2014, 22:12
We're discussing it.

Rick "just posing a question to Tom" Denney

StoneNYC
19-Jan-2014, 22:17
I agree in a way, but if you DONT use tapatalk, then you might not know it exists, it's a great app, the only time I visit the site on the browser is to view an image. I can't imagine why you would visit the site with the browser instead of tapatalk anyway it's such a nice app (despite some flaws).

rdenney
19-Jan-2014, 22:59
Tapatalk is really necessary for an iPhone--the forum interface just requires too much zooming and the text entry box is just not suited to a touch interface.

But on an iPad, I can go either way. Sometimes I use Tapatalk and sometimes I use a browser.

When I get a link to something in the forum (which happens every time one of you bozos complains, or does something that attracts complaints), it opens in Safari, not Tapatalk, and I sometimes get the popup. The popup is only supposed to appear once, but the cookie that it uses to keep track of that seems to disappear easily on the iOS devices.

But it may be better to put a sticky somewhere telling folks that Tapatalk is possible than continuing to annoy regular users who already know about it.

Rick "understanding the annoyance" Denney

BradS
20-Jan-2014, 08:44
+1 please make the annoying tapatalk thing not appear.

Setting a cookie is not going to be enough. I have all browsers on all computers in my control setup to delete all cookies when I close the browser app.

Thanks.

rdenney
20-Jan-2014, 08:57
We think we've turned it off. Let us know in this thread if you are still seeing the pop up.

Rick "typing this in Tapatalk" Denney

StoneNYC
20-Jan-2014, 09:07
We think we've turned it off. Let us know in this thread if you are still seeing the pop up.

Rick "typing this in Tapatalk" Denney

Nope...

However it may also be inherent in the iPhone architecture if it recognized the app programming on the site?

Jac@stafford.net
20-Jan-2014, 11:34
I use tapatalk version 2.5.1 and I do not get any pop-ups, and never did.

Jac@stafford.net
20-Jan-2014, 11:56
Nope...

However it may also be inherent in the iPhone architecture if it recognized the app programming on the site?

You get that particular pop-up when viewing this forum on a mobile device through a web browser unless your system manager has removed the tapatalk detection script from the server code.

Have you tried just running tapatalk on the mobile device rather than through a web browser?

Also see: https://support.tapatalk.com/threads/how-to-disable-the-tapatalk-pop-up.8032/ where it mentions, "If you are administrator of the forum, you can check tapatalk options, find an option named "Iphone Product Message" if you see the popup on iphone, leave the option value empty and no popup would appear on iphone/ipod. Please do the same action by the device you are using. "

StoneNYC
20-Jan-2014, 12:20
You get that particular pop-up when viewing this forum on a mobile device through a web browser unless your system manager has removed the tapatalk detection script from the server code.

Have you tried just running tapatalk on the mobile device rather than through a web browser?

Also see: https://support.tapatalk.com/threads/how-to-disable-the-tapatalk-pop-up.8032/ where it mentions, "If you are administrator of the forum, you can check tapatalk options, find an option named "Iphone Product Message" if you see the popup on iphone, leave the option value empty and no popup would appear on iphone/ipod. Please do the same action by the device you are using. "

What? This whole thread is about the popup at the top of a WEB BROWSER on a mobile device, telling me to use tapatalk instead doesn't solve anything lol.

Jac@stafford.net
20-Jan-2014, 12:45
What? This whole thread is about the popup at the top of a WEB BROWSER on a mobile device, telling me to use tapatalk instead doesn't solve anything lol.

No, it doesn't. It has to be fixed on the server.

rdenney
20-Jan-2014, 19:16

They can say that all they want, but we don't have that particular option.

I use Tapatalk all the time, though, and I don't see these messages with this forum. I do see it with forums where I'm not a member.

I'll look again next time I'm on the computer.

Rick "recommending allowing cookies for the LFPF" Denney

Larry Gebhardt
21-Jan-2014, 11:35
Thanks for trying to disable it. However I'm still seeing it on the iPhone, so I assume it's there on the iPad as well.

Jac@stafford.net
21-Jan-2014, 16:51
They can say that all they want, but we don't have that particular option.

Please keep us informed. I cannot imagine any cause of this issue other than coming from your server.

I use Tapatalk all the time, though, and I don't see [...]

Of course you do not. Browse using a typical browser instead of tapatalk and you should get the message.

StoneNYC
21-Jan-2014, 20:11
Please keep us informed. I cannot imagine any cause of this issue other than coming from your server.

Of course you do not. Browse using a typical browser instead of tapatalk and you should get the message.

He doesn't understand, he thinks you mean a PC browser, they mean a smartphone web browser...

rdenney
22-Jan-2014, 15:47
Guys, I understand the issue.

Use Case: Someone reports a post. I'm standing in an airport lounge, and I see the email to the moderators reporting the post. I click the link in the email. It loads the Safari browser and shows the regular LFPF just like I would see on my computer, except too small to read. I deal with the issue reported with lots of scrolling and zooming. No popup pointing to Tapatalk appears when that happens. Clearly, I'm using a smartphone web browser and NOT getting the notification.

Now, why might that be? It may be because my iPhone has the cookie for membership in the LFPF stored in it. We have said on many occasions that the use of cookies is required for all the features of this forum to work properly. I can't think of any other reason why I would not get the Tapatalk popup.

I do get the popup when I go to forums I've never been to, by following links in Google searches, etc. So, it's not a setting on my iPhone that prevents those notices--without a cookie for a forum, I get the popup.

I have just looked again on the Tapatalk Options menu. Note that we install only straight, unmodified modules, and we do not alter them because we have been stung by configuration management issues and by those changes offering features that cannot be supported with subsequent revisions. This is a free forum run by volunteers--that's the way it works.

Here is the only Tapatalk setting on our Options menu that relates to this issue at all:

Mobile Welcome Screen

Tapatalk will show a one time welcoming screen to mobile users to download the free app, the screen will contain your forum logo and branding only, with a button to get the free app. _Yes _No

This was set to "Yes" when this thread started. Tom has changed it to "No" as a result of this discussion. The way I read that, nobody should be getting the popup even without the cookie being set.

I have checked that we have the latest version of the Tapatalk plugin for VBulletin v.4, and we do.

I also read the entire thread on the Tapatalk forum that was linked. The first part of the thread was three years back, and it recommended a script change that we won't do. The second was the "iPhone Product Message" recommendation. There is no such setting in our system, and I have no idea what system the guy was talking about.

There was a different thread that discussed the removal of a file from the server as a workaround (all the while insisting that the popup will not display if the cookie is set). But all such recommendations are at least a year old. We've updated since then. I suspect that the setting above is what is supposed to control that feature in current versions.

Sorry, but that's where we are at the moment. I think we've gone as far as we can go. Is this a problem being experienced by those who leave their cookies enabled?

Rick "who travels constantly and uses the iPhone more than most" Denney

rdenney
22-Jan-2014, 16:04
And I just tested it on my iPad, too. I'm entering this message using my iPad, with the forum running in Safari. I loaded the forum by typing the URL directlly into the Safari browser. I did not get a popup.

Rick "sure that the LFPF forum cookie is on this iPad, too" Denney

Jac@stafford.net
22-Jan-2014, 16:13
You are not looking deep enough into the server templates.

rdenney
23-Jan-2014, 07:48
You are not looking deep enough into the server templates.

I'll pass this along to Tom. His word will be final.

Rick "who'll report back" Denney

rdenney
23-Jan-2014, 14:30
To all who have been having this trouble: Is your iOS device set for Private Browsing? On my iPhone with iOS6, it's a setting adjacent to "Accept Cookies". When set, it will not record history or cookies. On iOS7, it's apparently a button on the above left corner of the keyboard in Safari, when typing in a URL.

Please take a look and report here.

Rick "thanks" Denney

BradS
24-Jan-2014, 08:20
Rick,
Yes. Definitely. I always choose the settings/preferences such that the most restrictive (workable) policy with regard to acceptance of cookies is in effect. So, yeah, private browsing, do not accept cookies from third parties, clear all browser history and cookies every time I close the browser, etc...

rdenney
24-Jan-2014, 13:23
Rick,
Yes. Definitely. I always choose the settings/preferences such that the most restrictive (workable) policy with regard to acceptance of cookies is in effect. So, yeah, private browsing, do not accept cookies from third parties, clear all browser history and cookies every time I close the browser, etc...

In that case, you will get all the stuff that goes to first-time viewers, including the Tapatalk popup (assuming the switch we threw last week doesn't do what we thought it would do). We have enough Tapatalk users, though, that removing that support is not an option. So, unless Tom has a trick up his sleeve that he is comfortable supporting, I'm not sure we can solve the problem.

Rick "this forum requires the use of cookies to support all features" Denney

Larry Gebhardt
25-Jan-2014, 20:25
I have cookies enabled, but blocked for third party and advertisers. I'm no longer seeing the popup on my iPad. It's seems to still be there on my iPhone, but that's not actually so bad since I find the forum unusable on the iphone anyway. So I installed Tapatalk there and will try it out. Thanks for all the work on this Rick. You've already put way more effort into what I thought would be a simple flipping of a bit than I ever intended.

rdenney
27-Jan-2014, 19:34
Tom made a revision to the templates. Those who continue to have a problem try it again and post results here.

Rick "hoping we fixed it" Denney

Jac@stafford.net
28-Jan-2014, 14:01
Tom made a revision to the templates. Those who continue to have a problem try it again and post results here.

Rick "hoping we fixed it" Denney

:) told ya so.

Seriously, thank you for your work for the rest of us.