PDA

View Full Version : Motor base agitator for Jobo 3005

Ginette
23-Nov-2013, 14:20
Hello,

I run some tests of the motor base agitators I have for a member here who wish to use it with a Jobo 3005.
The ones I have are: Unicolor Uniroller (inversion), Beseler, Premier and Ilford which have no inversion.
I read on the forum thay many users get rid of the inversion of the Uniroller or systematically turn the drum every minute.
What about the drifting :( do you start your drum exactly center of the tube or center it with the cover included?
Your procedure will be welcome for the member, I personnally use Jobo processor.

Here my results with a Jobo 3005 with 1 litre of water.
Uniroller (with inversion) 16 inversions of 3/4 turn, the Jobo sticker is always get back on top but the inversion goes to about 2 o'clock only. The drum stay centering on this base.
Beseler (model without inversion, 1 switch, adjustable foot) 30 rotations/min, the tank drift at right even if I put the top at left or right. Drift so much than the drum may drop from the base in less than 1 minute.
Ilford (without inversion, adjustable foot, level on top) 26 rotations /min, the tank drift at left even if the cover is at right or left.
Premier (without inversion, no adjustable foot but level on top) 15 rotations/min. Cannot roll the 3005 because of the center rib. But fine with the 3006 and 3010, Drums stay center.

jeroldharter
23-Nov-2013, 22:53
Not sure if this answers your question but: I gave up the Jobo CPP processor and just used the motor base for simplicity. This is for b&w. The drums tended to drift left or right while rotating. As a solution, I took a trip to the hardware store. I bout a heavy duty fence threaded flange that would screw into a wall, and screwed in a heavy duty piece of galvanized post. In other words, I have a flange that I sit in the sink with a length of post that is vertical. I use two of these, one on each end of the Jobo tube so that when the tube drifts, it butts up against the post. I have a post on each end, the motor base in the middle, and then place the Jobo drum on the base. Every once in awhile, I rotate the base when using the Unicolor roller (hacked to rotate in one direction) - or push the button on the Beseler to hang direction. The Jobo drum rubs up against the post, but the friction has been no problem and I find no visible wear on the drums.

I found a video on the web demonstrating the hobo drums on a roller base. The person had a much more clever and elaborate mechanism for holding the drums in place, but my way is simple and required minimal effort on my part.

Daniel Stone
23-Nov-2013, 23:23
heavy duty rubber bands(think vacuum cleaner bands) can aid in keeping it "on track". Just make sure to get the nice thick ones. Not too tight, but thick enough and tight enough to not move(or crack your drum from being too tight!)

-Dan

David Karp
24-Nov-2013, 00:59
Here is what I do: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?51174-Apparatus-to-aid-using-Expert-Drum-with-roller-base.

Ginette
24-Nov-2013, 14:29
Here is what I do: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?51174-Apparatus-to-aid-using-Expert-Drum-with-roller-base.

Wow, nice set-up.
I search on YouTube yesterday for the video Jerold talk about but not find the bright idea. I just see some tricks like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3ANGUDr-RI and stop looking after somes minutes :)

The member choose the Uniroller among the ones I have. If other members need agitators, just PM me. I don't need all, theses kind of things I have in multiple!

Jody_S
25-Nov-2013, 01:14
I use a Beseler 11x14 drum on the Ilford motor base. It always drifts off to the right. Following instructions, I rotate the drum half-way through, then it drifts to the right again. This doesn't cause the drum to fall off or go out of level, so I've just never worried about it. I could not use a longer drum without finding a solution.

catalinajack
25-Nov-2013, 17:53
I use a Beseler motor base with a Jobo 2551 tank. I simply place the tank on one wheel of the two roller wheels balanced with the red lid against a wall. Works quite nicely, never fails. No need for any fancy solutions. My tank is obviously too short to span both of the rollers.