PDA

View Full Version : Galleries that maintain a permanent collection

Iluvmyviewcam
19-Nov-2013, 17:30
Are there any photo galleries that maintain a permanent collection as opposed to galleries that just sell prints and do not collect?

Kirk Gittings
19-Nov-2013, 17:53
Yes there are both. The Paul Paletti Gallery in Louisville for example has an extraordinary permanent collection, but of course as a sole proprietorship it is also his private collection. Galleries (or owners) that collect of course get a huge discount of the normal price (the percentage the gallery takes).

Why do you ask?

Merg Ross
19-Nov-2013, 18:07
Many galleries are owned by dealers who have very large inventories of photographs that they have purchased. They are in a sense permanent collections, until the right buyer comes by with big money. Some also have inventories on consignment, not really permanent, but a way to see important work that is not squirreled away in a museum archive.

Jim collum
19-Nov-2013, 19:15
Susan Spiritus (susanspiritusgallery.com) has a spectacular collection. Since she own's the gallery, and her collection.. i'd assume this qualifies

Iluvmyviewcam
19-Nov-2013, 20:43
Yes there are both. The Paul Paletti Gallery in Louisville for example has an extraordinary permanent collection, but of course as a sole proprietorship it is also his private collection. Galleries (or owners) that collect of course get a huge discount of the normal price (the percentage the gallery takes).

Why do you ask?

Thanks!

I was thinking of seeing if they had an interest in accepting some of my work as a donation if they do not have plans to put it up for sale but keep it in their collection.

Iluvmyviewcam
19-Nov-2013, 20:48
Susan Spiritus (susanspiritusgallery.com) has a spectacular collection. Since she own's the gallery, and her collection.. i'd assume this qualifies

Thanks!

Kirk Gittings
19-Nov-2013, 20:49
You are not thinking like a gallery owner.

Merg Ross
19-Nov-2013, 21:06
Thanks!

I was thinking of seeing if they had an interest in accepting some of my work as a donation if they do not have plans to put it up for sale but keep it in their collection.

Jim collum
19-Nov-2013, 21:18
Thanks!

you have any work online?

Iluvmyviewcam
19-Nov-2013, 21:36
you have any work online?

See my profile here:

http://www.artslant.com/ny/works/show/691521-crazy

Jim collum
19-Nov-2013, 21:39
I'd say, that unless you're already collectable, the work won't end up with high end gallery's permanent collections (i'm not sure who you are behind 'Iluvmyviewcam'... you could be George Tice.. and then I'd say you'd stand a pretty good chance of having it collected :) ). Most galleries have no shortage of people wanting to give them work.

Thanks!

Iluvmyviewcam
19-Nov-2013, 21:44

Sure I know galleries sell pix for a living. But I am looking to donate for a different reason. If the gallery does not collect and keep a separate collection that is permanent...like a museum...I wont donate. I'm not interested in selling prints, I'm interested in placing prints in collections that I would like my work to reside in.

Galleries are the least permanent places to house my prints as compared to museums, but I thought I'd give them a try with a few prints. Currently my work is in close to 50 museums and institutions around the world. So in the big scheme, galleries are a very small area for me to experiment with.

Iluvmyviewcam
19-Nov-2013, 21:55
I'd say, that unless you're already collectable, the work won't end up with high end gallery's permanent collections (i'm not sure who you are behind 'Iluvmyviewcam'... you could be George Tice.. and then I'd say you'd stand a pretty good chance of having it collected :) ). Most galleries have no shortage of people wanting to give them work.

My work is collectable, but not for $, but for social / historical interest. That was what I was wondering. If galleries ever collect photos for love of the medium or just for love of $.

I also produced hand made artists books. But I'd never donate to a gallery. They only go to the largest special collections like Oxford, V & A, Columbia, Stanford, British Library, Royal Libraries in Europe, etc.

Merg Ross
19-Nov-2013, 22:06
Currently my work is in close to 50 museums and institutions around the world.

That should be adequate. Why seek gallery representation?

Jim collum
19-Nov-2013, 22:09
thank you for supplying a name. I get a little jaded, and tend to jump to conclusions (my own biases, I admit) when confronted by online pseudonyms. I like your work, and that was a pleasent surprise (again.. my own prejudice about online monikers)

Social/documentary work is not as pervasive in the gallery world (outside of 'big' names).. but I wish you luck in finding. More often than not, good work just disappears upon the passing of the artist.. A lot of it deserves to be 'collected' and retained for aesthetic & historic reasons.

My work is collectable, but not for $, but for social / historical interest. That was what I was wondering. If galleries ever collect photos for love of the medium or just for love of $.

I also produced hand made artists books. But I'd never donate to a gallery. They only go to the largest special collections like Oxford, V & A, Columbia, Stanford, British Library, Royal Libraries in Europe, etc.

Iluvmyviewcam
20-Nov-2013, 05:34
That should be adequate. Why seek gallery representation?

I'm not looking for representation, am just looking to place more prints in collections.

Iluvmyviewcam
20-Nov-2013, 05:39
thank you for supplying a name. I get a little jaded, and tend to jump to conclusions (my own biases, I admit) when confronted by online pseudonyms. I like your work, and that was a pleasent surprise (again.. my own prejudice about online monikers)

Social/documentary work is not as pervasive in the gallery world (outside of 'big' names).. but I wish you luck in finding. More often than not, good work just disappears upon the passing of the artist.. A lot of it deserves to be 'collected' and retained for aesthetic & historic reasons.

Thanks. You have to be careful using names on the forums and online. Everything you say comes up on Google. If we talk enough, sooner or later we will usually say something we don't want to be archived and pop up next to our name in a search.

I will check with a few of these galleries to see where they fit in with my plans.

Jac@stafford.net
20-Nov-2013, 08:01
See my profile here:

http://www.artslant.com/ny/works/show/691521-crazy

I like this one! (http://thewireless.co.nz/system/production/cover_images/images/000/000/273/thumb/%27Uncertain_Future%27_2009_Daniel_Teoli_Jr_(1).jpg?1383177712)

Merg Ross
20-Nov-2013, 08:32
I'm not looking for representation, am just looking to place more prints in collections.

Understood. Interesting work, good luck in your search.

marfa boomboom tx
20-Nov-2013, 08:42

the people at light work (org) have a permanent collection. they also run a gallery without sales.
they do hold work from a large number of artists, many of whom will never be collectible. They tend to regard themselves as 'regional' ---

http://www.lightwork.org/contact/

they may be able to offer other help.

Kirk Gittings
20-Nov-2013, 11:09
are to trying to set a new world record for work in public collections? :)

Drew Wiley
20-Nov-2013, 13:20
Probably half the galleries I've ever dealt with began as private collectors. Beyond that, most in that particular category were independently wealthy and probably never actually made money on the gallery itself. Nor did they tend to do a very good job for their featured artists. ... not that their intentions were bad. But when
you don't have to turn a profit, and are just looking for a tax write-off, the incentive level isn't that high. But storing a lot of prints is expensive enough in its own
right. That's a job for museums, who have their own funding problems. Oh well ... I better get of my arse and start selling again, or I won't have anywhere to store
my own prints.

Iluvmyviewcam
20-Nov-2013, 16:13
the people at light work (org) have a permanent collection. they also run a gallery without sales.
they do hold work from a large number of artists, many of whom will never be collectible. They tend to regard themselves as 'regional' ---

http://www.lightwork.org/contact/

they may be able to offer other help.

Thanks!

Don Dudenbostel
20-Nov-2013, 19:35
Nice image! I'd love to see more.

Kirk Gittings
20-Nov-2013, 21:15
just Google his name.

bob carnie
21-Nov-2013, 08:43
I just googled his name, I really like the work.

just Google his name.

Kirk Gittings
21-Nov-2013, 08:47
I don't care for the over the top HDR images however.

bob carnie
21-Nov-2013, 09:19
Maybe I clicked on a different site, all I saw was some incredible bw street and interior portraits.

not sure I saw any HDR.

marfa boomboom tx
21-Nov-2013, 09:28
Thanks!

no problem… the original founders of LW have long since moved on… one heads the ICP events or such program. the other owns a mexican restaurant, actually 2 restaurants…

if it tastes good, it goes boom twice…

Kirk Gittings
21-Nov-2013, 09:36
Maybe I clicked on a different site, all I saw was some incredible bw street and interior portraits.

not sure I saw any HDR.

https://plus.google.com/102884249825984345274/posts

scroll down a bit

bob carnie
21-Nov-2013, 09:56
See what you mean... I think he should lose that real fast.

https://plus.google.com/102884249825984345274/posts

scroll down a bit

Iluvmyviewcam
21-Nov-2013, 10:05

Nope, just trying to archive my work before I kick off. I never had any interest in self promotion. But I owe it to the people I photographed over the years.

Two decades + of my work was lost in a flood, so I am working on preserviong what little is left.

Iluvmyviewcam
21-Nov-2013, 10:07
Probably half the galleries I've ever dealt with began as private collectors. Beyond that, most in that particular category were independently wealthy and probably never actually made money on the gallery itself. Nor did they tend to do a very good job for their featured artists. ... not that their intentions were bad. But when
you don't have to turn a profit, and are just looking for a tax write-off, the incentive level isn't that high. But storing a lot of prints is expensive enough in its own
right. That's a job for museums, who have their own funding problems. Oh well ... I better get of my arse and start selling again, or I won't have anywhere to store
my own prints.

I wondered how some of them stay in biz.

Iluvmyviewcam
21-Nov-2013, 10:09

Yes, just a matter of taste. Some like, some hate. Glad you like 'some' though.

bob carnie
21-Nov-2013, 10:22
Yes I really like your work, in fact I think I have seen it before, maybe here ??

but the colour HDR is over the top for my taste, and is out of synch with your other work.

Yes, just a matter of taste. Some like, some hate. Glad you like 'some' though.

Jim collum
21-Nov-2013, 10:34
and here's the problem with pseudonyms.. especially among peers in the same art form. I've seen your work here (and a few other places) before, as slackercruster. now that work's being associated with iluvmyviewcam. but it's very very good work.. and you (i won't use your real name here, although it was on the other side of the link) should be known for it... not your pseudonyms.

Thanks. You have to be careful using names on the forums and online. Everything you say comes up on Google. If we talk enough, sooner or later we will usually say something we don't want to be archived and pop up next to our name in a search.

I will check with a few of these galleries to see where they fit in with my plans.

Greg Miller
21-Nov-2013, 11:21
But storing a lot of prints is expensive enough in its own right. That's a job for museums, who have their own funding problems.

I think this is the real crux of the issue. The key will be to find a gallery owner who likes the work enough to want to absorb the cost to store the prints in a proper manner. Plus the inventory control and insurance issues that go along with keeping prints of any value. Since the work won;t be sold, there is little chance to offsets that associated costs. So it needs to be a gallery owner who thinks enough of the work to lose money in an effort to preserve it.

marfa boomboom tx
21-Nov-2013, 15:09
Nope, just trying to archive my work before I kick off. I never had any interest in self promotion. But I owe it to the people I photographed over the years.

Two decades + of my work was lost in a flood, so I am working on preserviong what little is left.

to Alfred O'Nymous:
this: "Les Krims has always been a hugely controversial photographer, and critics have often been largely divided about where they stand on his work. In 1971 an exhibition of Krims's photos in Tennessee pissed a guy off so bad he kidnapped a kid and wouldn't give him back until the gallery took down the photos. " from here:http://www.vice.com/read/an-interview-with-les-krims

Les worked for a while in heavy HDR. I assume that Iluvmy etc. may know of t/his work.

mbt

Jac@stafford.net
21-Nov-2013, 15:15

Why not? Are you concerned that you have overlooked a market ?

bob carnie
21-Nov-2013, 15:23
I have never seen Les's work before , really interesting.

to Alfred O'Nymous:
this: "Les Krims has always been a hugely controversial photographer, and critics have often been largely divided about where they stand on his work. In 1971 an exhibition of Krims's photos in Tennessee pissed a guy off so bad he kidnapped a kid and wouldn't give him back until the gallery took down the photos. " from here:http://www.vice.com/read/an-interview-with-les-krims

Les worked for a while in heavy HDR. I assume that Iluvmy etc. may know of t/his work.

mbt

Kirk Gittings
21-Nov-2013, 16:16
Why not? Are you concerned that you have overlooked a market ?

One of the benefits of not being a moderator anymore is that I can now utilize the best tool on this site. The ignore button! Suffer no fools.

ROL
21-Nov-2013, 18:45
Anyone who thinks museum collections are permanent just hasn't been paying attention over the past 5 years of the depression. Still, I admire the OP's goals. I'm sure many of us would like some lasting dispositions of their work. I was thinking maybe of etching my betters, if I can find any, in the North American Wall on El Capitan (above New California's globally warmed tidal zone).