PDA

View Full Version : Carl Zeiss Jena Lens Question

oskarg
18-Nov-2013, 18:06
Sorry, I'm new to this type of photography but maybe some one can help me in this forum. I bought this lens in a yard sale but I don't know how it is used and it's dollar value. Thanks in advance for your help.

Ken Lee
18-Nov-2013, 19:03
Look up Carl Zeiss Jena lenses on eBay. Your is a 190mm f/3.5 lens that is mounted in barrel - there is no shutter. It appears to be un-coated, which places it in the 1940's or before. If you search the web for Carl Zeiss Jena serial numbers, perhaps you can find the exact date of manufacture.

Jim Jones
19-Nov-2013, 09:33
The lens dates from about 1934. If the board it is mounted on is 4 inches square, it fits many cameras of that and later ages, and should work fine on an Anniversary model Speed Graphic or other camera with a built-in shutter.

Jim Noel
19-Nov-2013, 09:46
More likely off a 4x5 Graflex than a Speed Graphic. It was one of the standard lenses on the 4x5.

oskarg
19-Nov-2013, 11:12
Sorry, I'm new to this type of photography but maybe some one can help me in this forum. I bought this lens in a yard sale but I don't know how it is used and it's dollar value. Thanks in advance for your help.

I would like to thank everyone whom contributed with an answer.

Regards

oskarg

Arne Croell
20-Nov-2013, 10:18
In my experience the old f/3.5 Tessars show some noticeable focus shift. Just make sure to check and adjust focus again after stopping down.

Patrick13
20-Nov-2013, 12:10
More likely off a 4x5 Graflex than a Speed Graphic. It was one of the standard lenses on the 4x5.

Graflex is the company name, Speed Graphic is one of the Graflex models. To confuse the issue the main Graflex everyone thinks of is 4x5 but there are also 2x3 and 3x4 (uncommon) variants of each of these body types and you may have been thinking of one of those.

Speed Graphic has a focal plane shutter built into the body, which makes it useful for barrel lenses like this, but slightly less suitable for really wide angle lenses. Many (if not all, I have to look it up) Speed Graphics have a shutter release on the body that can switch between the built-in shutter and an in-lens shutter, very handy.

Crown Graphic models are exactly the same, minus the focal plane shutter in the body; they are lighter, simpler mechanically and can take a slightly more wide angle lens because the bellows can retract deeper into the body.

Side note: later on there was a Century Graphic 2x3 which used a bakelite body and didn't have an integrated shutter release on that body, but otherwise used all the applicable Graflex parts.

IanG
20-Nov-2013, 12:44
I think Jim means a Graflex SLR Patrick.

My question is where is the aperture ring/scale.

Ian

ic-racer
20-Nov-2013, 16:24
Sorry, I'm new to this type of photography but maybe some one can help me in this forum. I bought this lens in a yard sale but I don't know how it is used and it's dollar value. T

You already know the dollar value if you bought it.