PDA

View Full Version : My year for the Bisti Wilderness

Kirk Gittings
17-Nov-2013, 10:52
Wow, lived in NM almost all my life and finally hauled my fat ass and my 4x5 into the Bisti yesterday. I was in a group of students and faculty from the Santa Fe University of Art and Design led by some photographers with decades of work in there. What a place-unbelieveable! I can't believe it took me this long to go in there. The reason I have not been in there before is that I am not really a photographer of "natural landscape" but more of "cultural landscape" like the nearby Chaco Canyon that I have been to some 75 times. But in researching the Bisti I have found that there definitely is cultural component as it is a sacred area to the Navajos for example. I'm looking forward to doing some serious work in the Bisti over the next year as I am part of a group show on the Bisti in January of 2015 (my 99th!). Kind of a self enforced residency over the next year.

AtlantaTerry
17-Nov-2013, 11:28
Kirk,

Please remember you are writing for an international audience. Will someone in Brasil or Viet Nam or Nigeria have any idea at all what you mean by the US postal designation "NM" or "Bisti". Hell, I've lived in the United States for over 68 years and don't know what the Bisti is. :)

Best,
Terry

David Lobato
17-Nov-2013, 11:52
The first time I went there was with my 4x5 and was amazed. Went a couple of more times and the fascination did not fade. One of the easiest places to aim a camera and get a keeper. It's very hot and disorienting in there so precautions regarding one's safety is a good idea. Just my thought, but I'd consider taking a GPS for any long hikes into there, and a lot of water and a map. When your mind is so consumed with finding good photos and not with keeping track of your whereabouts it's easy to get lost and dehydrated.

All that said, be respectful of the Navajos' cultural sensibilities and of its sensitive nature. It's a gem of a place and I'd be regretful if it's overrun like many other scenic treasures in the 4-corners area.

Jody_S
17-Nov-2013, 12:27
Kirk,

Please remember you are writing for an international audience. Will someone in Brasil or Viet Nam or Nigeria have any idea at all what you mean by the US postal designation "NM" or "Bisti". Hell, I've lived in the United States for over 68 years and don't know what the Bisti is. :)

Best,
Terry

It took me all of 3 seconds with teh google to find this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisti/De-Na-Zin_Wilderness). I think I have to make at least one trip to the US southwest before I die.

Tin Can
17-Nov-2013, 12:41
I love this description, 'The Bisti/De-Na-Zin Wilderness is about 30 miles (as the raven flies)....'

Vaughn
17-Nov-2013, 12:56
Have not been there yet, but I have a nice B&W photo of the place that I traded a gallery owner for (a redwood for a Bisti) a decade or two ago.

It took me years to get to Goblin Valley, so it might be a while before I get to Bisti! Have fun there, Kirk!

vinny
17-Nov-2013, 14:10
Good luck Kirk. I've seen very little work from there but it looks like an a azing place. Jody, not everyone has google or knows how to use it:)

ROL
17-Nov-2013, 16:38
Natural places have always been sacred to indigenous peoples, whether marked culturally or not. That subtlety has pretty much always informed the bulk of my work, or any true interpreter of landscape (one hopes), "cultural" or otherwise.

Vaughn
17-Nov-2013, 16:49
PS -- don't tell the Boy Scouts about Bisti! :cool:

Kirk Gittings
17-Nov-2013, 17:38
Kirk,

Best,
Terry

Hmmmmm. There have been numerous discussions on the Bisti on this forum over the years. Its no longer a well kept secret. That cat was let out of the bag about 20 years ago. As per this audience, I always assume if I am interacting with someone participating in an online forum that they will have the where-with-all to do a simple online search if their interest is aroused...................could someone really participate on this forum and not know how to do a simple internet search for the word Bisti or NM?

David Rheubottom
17-Nov-2013, 18:26
Wow, indeed! A fantastic place and you're very lucky to devote a year to it. My wife and I have been twice and I'm longing for a third visit. The problems of water and keeping track of locations have already been mentioned (cell phone reception, surprisingly, is very good), but the problem of food and lodging are also daunting (if you are not camping). Farmington is a fair distance away, Thoreau is even farther and even less attractive. For those who don't know, the Photograph America issue on the Bisti (062) is a very good introduction and Eduardo Fuss's book of color photographs Wonderland: A Photographer's Journey into the Bisti will have you packing.

Nathan Potter
17-Nov-2013, 19:20
Kirk, thanks for reminding me about the Bisti scene. I've been in the general area frequently but always seem to be drawn to Chaco for the structures along with Acoma again for the structures. Even though the Bisti lurks in the back of my mind I somehow have never visited. It is now forward in my mind for a visit on the next excursion, (though not in the heat of summer).

By the way I should mention the even less known natural area of Tent Rocks between Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Interesting area of chalky slot canyons and hoodoo chimneys and spires, almost dead white, (a photographic challenge). A place to visit at a cooler time of the year.

Nate Potter, Austin TX., Steuben ME.

Kirk Gittings
17-Nov-2013, 20:07
Hmmm. Tent Rocks IME is very well known. Very accessible from SF or Albuquerque. Seems like every beginning photo class and landscape workshop has been going there since I was an undergraduate back in the Pleistocene :).

sanking
18-Nov-2013, 14:29
"But in researching the Bisti I have found that there definitely is cultural component as it is a sacred area to the Navajos for example. I'm looking forward to doing some serious work in the Bisti over the next year as I am part of a group show on the Bisti in January of 2015 (my 99th!)."

What is the cultural component? Are there sacred sites that have indigenous ruins, or is it just that the area is sacred? I am certain that the Bisti is interesting from the perspective of landscape but am just wondering how you will show the "cultural" component in your photography?

Sandy

Drew Wiley
18-Nov-2013, 14:45
It's certainly an interesting area; but I've never had time to do anything there other than to stop and walk around a bit - always the wrong time of day or year it seemed, and I chickened out due to the heat ... and probably stunk to high heaven due to being in the desert backcountry somewhere for a week or so.

Jerry Bodine
18-Nov-2013, 15:29
Only two more posts to go, Drew, and you'll be at 6000!! There's still plenty of time left today. Go for it!

Drew Wiley
18-Nov-2013, 16:06
You actually keep track of that nonsense? .... (one more to go?)

Kirk Gittings
18-Nov-2013, 16:13
What is the cultural component? Are there sacred sites that have indigenous ruins, or is it just that the area is sacred? I am certain that the Bisti is interesting from the perspective of landscape but am just wondering how you will show the "cultural" component in your photography?

Sandy

I will show it as I always have as I've been working on projects in this vein since 72-through photographing sacred/ceremonial areas and structures with expressive images and accompanying captions/narratives etc. There are ceremonial/areas and related structures in the area-not a lot and not so much in the well known "picturesque" landform areas. I will be working with a Navajo guide who grew up in the area and whose family still lives on the periphery.

Jerry Bodine
18-Nov-2013, 16:22
You actually keep track of that nonsense? .... (one more to go?)

:) :) :) No. I don't track it. Just happened to notice your count when you posted #15. Now, back to the thread.

Heroique
18-Nov-2013, 17:23
I hope the January 2015 show will clarify what "Bisti" really means: :)

1) From Wikipedia (Jody's link):
Translated from the Navajo word Bistahí, Bisti means "among the adobe formations."

2) From the BLM site:
Translated from the Navajo language, Bisti means “a large area of shale hills.”

3) From the book "The Place Names of New Mexico" by Robert Hixson Julyan:
Approximates the Navajo word for "Badlands," but the name does little justice to this strange and natural area.

-----
I quit looking after these three, but it could be that Navajo words are rich in meaning – this particular one describing a place rich in weirdly eroded rock formations!

Steve Sherman
18-Nov-2013, 19:01
Hmmmmm. There have been numerous discussions on the Bisti on this forum over the years. Its no longer a well kept secret. That cat was let out of the bag about 20 years ago. As per this audience, I always assume if I am interacting with someone participating in an online forum that they will have the where-with-all to do a simple online search if their interest is aroused...................could someone really participate on this forum and not know how to do a simple internet search for the word Bisti or NM?

My sentiments, just said more eloquently...

Kirk Gittings
19-Nov-2013, 11:02

Last Saturday about 3 miles in at the Bisti using my 30LB pack for a back rest. At 63 I'm definitely up for this but it sure hurt allot less when I was 30 :)

Drew Wiley
19-Nov-2013, 12:19
It's sure strange how packs have gotten so much heavier over the last twenty years!

Kirk Gittings
19-Nov-2013, 12:29
It's sure strange how packs have gotten so much heavier over the last twenty years!

Exponentially! :)

Kirk Gittings
19-Nov-2013, 12:32
My big problem is the damn film holders. For many years I only used ready loads and had a stockpile of about 500 two years ago. Now I'm down to about 15 of them and have to haul around frikin film holders...........

John Olsen
19-Nov-2013, 12:32
The Bisti is the one place that really likes the widest angle lens. Don't forget your 65mm! Good luck and post some results.

Kirk Gittings
19-Nov-2013, 12:39
Got rid of my 65 (and my 47 and 450) too wide-great for architecture but not for my personal work. Currently only carry a 90,120,150,210 and 305. I am considering a 75.

Jody_S
19-Nov-2013, 19:19

Last Saturday about 3 miles in at the Bisti using my 30LB pack for a back rest. At 63 I'm definitely up for this but it sure hurt allot less when I was 30 :)

I'm thinking someone needs to invent a tripod head that folds into a seat, for resting on the trail.

Drew Wiley
20-Nov-2013, 17:12
On the long hauls I've resorted to 6x9 roll film backs and maybe just a couple full sized 4x5 holders for those relatively few shots that really deserve to get printed
larger than 16x20. I'm saving up my last boxes of Quickloads and Readyloads for something special. My problem isn't the weight as much as the sheer space issues in
the pack. One of my younger companions has volunteered to carry some of my extra food next year on a three-week backpack, with a lot of steep high off-trail.
That should help. Changing tents are a little more problematic because the weather has been so wacky in recent summers. ... But it is pretty amusing to see someone pack in a folding chair on the trail, as if there weren't enough rocks, logs, and stumps around.

Kirk Gittings
22-Nov-2013, 21:22
David Halpern, Kent Bowser and me at the Bisti.

gth
24-Nov-2013, 18:34
[QUOTE=Kirk Gittings;1082140]105194

Hope you guys are ok down there with the snow and cold…….

Kirk Gittings
24-Nov-2013, 18:46
Winter came early but its all good. We certainly need the moisture.

redrockcoulee
25-Nov-2013, 19:19

Sounds like fun and also a great way to "make" yourself go some where close by :) Bisti and many of the other locales in that area are on my bucket list and will most likely get there in the next five years. But your statement of at 63 it hurts more than at 30 is not encouraging as only a few months to go to 63.