PDA

View Full Version : Need a QUICK lens recommendation for architecture photography, please help me out!!

nottired
16-Nov-2013, 07:24
So here's the deal guys.
I just bought an Arca F-metric 4x5 camera to shoot architecture. The seller also has a big list of lenses to sell, but I need to make up my mind regarding the lenses in next few days. My priority is tack-sharp imagery, possibly throughout the entire image circle as I will definitely use movements a lot. Of course I don't expect the resolution to be the same throughout the whole image circle, but a lens that resolves nicely / still sharp far off the center area of the image circle would be nice. I will be scanning the film on a drum scanner and make HUGE prints. By huge I mean 1.5m on the longer edge, possibly bigger. I will be getting a 8x10 conversion kit when I start feeling comfortable with the equipment, but for now I'd like to get 2-3 lenses, probably one 'standard' lens, one wide and maybe one extremely wide.
You know my priorites so now the question- which lenses should I choose from the sellers list? Or maybe I should settle for totally different lenses altogether? Please let me know which lenses do you recommend from these and which would be the best ones for my purposes (even outside of this list).
Here's the list:

Apo symmar 150mm in copal
Apo symmar 120 mm in copal
Apo sironar n 180 mm copal
Super Angunlon 120 mm MC Compur black ( very spacial shutter!)
MC S. Angulon Copal
Grandagon 4,5-90 mm copal, 6,8/90 (green ring)
S.Angulon 58 XL in prontor
S. Angulon MC 8/90 mm
Grandagon N (green ring) 6,8/90 mm in copal
Grandagon 4,5/90 mm in copal
Symmar S MC 210 mm in copal
Apo sironar n sinaron S 210 in copal
G-Claron 240 mm in copal
45 mm Digital Sironar Copal
55 Digital sironar copal

So to sum up, which would you choose and why and what would be your ideal choice of lenses (considering all the possibilities, not just the lenses I've listed here). Your help will be much appreciated, I need to sort it out quickly because the seller is holding back with the sale until I decide, but I don't have much time... so I'm kind of desperate :) Thank you all in advance for contributing.

vinny
16-Nov-2013, 07:53
the grandagons
save your money any buy sironar-s lenses or other super angulon xl's.
don't bother with the digital lenses.

Dan Fromm
16-Nov-2013, 08:16
Learn to feed yourself.

Here are two places to go to find Rodenstock's coverage claims:

http://www.rodenstock-photo.com/ Current production only.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=8D71BC33C77D1008!324 Some current, discontinued, process and enlarging lenses

And for Schneider:

http://www.rodenstock-photo.com/ Current production only.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=8D71BC33C77D1008!324 Some current, discontinued, process and enlarging lenses

nottired
16-Nov-2013, 09:43
Ok, so how about: Super-Angulon 58mm XL to cover extreme wide angle, Grandagon 4,5/90mm to cover wide angle (or should I go SA 72mm XL?) and apo-sironar-N 210mm tocover 'standard' focal length?
I'd like to know what would be the best extreme wide angle I can get, best wide angle and best standard lens it terms of distortion, sharpness, resolving power of the lens? Big image circle would be a nice feature as well :)

-edit- weight is of no concern, I'd rather go 'bright' and the biggest coverage possible, since 90% of my work will be architecture. Also some city landscapes, for which I'd like to have a high-resolving lens.

vinny
16-Nov-2013, 10:01
like I said, apo sironar-s is a better choice if you're following the trend of HUGE prints.
asking what's better, a 90 or 72 is like asking what's better roast beef or corned beef.

C. D. Keth
16-Nov-2013, 10:06
Independent of the exact lens, do you like the 90mm focal length or the 72mm focal length better?

nottired
16-Nov-2013, 10:20
Yeah I know that comparing two different focal lengths is a bit idiotic, sorry for that. For my taste 72 XL would be a bit too wide and 90 should be a bit more wide.. so that's why I'd go for the one that will produce sharper imagery I think as neither would give me the focal length. My perfect choice would be 80mm Super Symmar XL but I don't know if I can afford this one at the moment.
210mm- ok then, I'll be on the lookout for "S" version. I've read some entries, some people say they don't see the difference, some say it's a world of a difference.. that's internet for you :) But just to be safe I'll just get the theoretically better one. From what I understand the S should be sharper throughout the whole image circle.

So for now my favourite one from the list above would be SA 58 XL I think. It will give me almost no movements on 4x5 (9mm), that can prove problematic, even though the lens is so wide.. any thoughts on this lens?

Bernice Loui
16-Nov-2013, 11:16
Once the required aperture shrinks down to f22 or smaller, the differences between lenses becomes greatly equalized regardless of brand.

There are indeed differences between optics, yet the differences between brands of most recent design and production is less than many may want to believe.

The ideal way to sort this out is to rent/borrow/get on loan the specific lens of interest in known proper condition and performance then test them for your imaging needs.

This is the only really good way to get the set of lenses that will meet your needs.

Decide on focal lengths for a given format first, then begin the choice of brands and type, then do the testing.

How large of a print is "large" ?
For what I do (specifically applies to me) using the very best modern wide angle lenses on 5"x7" / 13x18cm B&W prints are limited to no more than 5x Max. Going to a larger film format does not make a better image for a host of reasons. These choices are very individual and generalities don't always apply.

Bernice

Yeah I know that comparing two different focal lengths is a bit idiotic, sorry for that. For my taste 72 XL would be a bit too wide and 90 should be a bit more wide.. so that's why I'd go for the one that will produce sharper imagery I think as neither would give me the focal length. My perfect choice would be 80mm Super Symmar XL but I don't know if I can afford this one at the moment.
210mm- ok then, I'll be on the lookout for "S" version. I've read some entries, some people say they don't see the difference, some say it's a world of a difference.. that's internet for you :) But just to be safe I'll just get the theoretically better one. From what I understand the S should be sharper throughout the whole image circle.

So for now my favourite one from the list above would be SA 58 XL I think. It will give me almost no movements on 4x5 (9mm), that can prove problematic, even though the lens is so wide.. any thoughts on this lens?

nottired
16-Nov-2013, 12:34
Large prints would be 1,5/2m on the longer edge. I probably won't be able to print that big from 4x5, 8x10 would be better for that, but I would like to squeeze every last bit from the scanned material when I print. Stitching is always an option but in analog I think it would be troublesome. Oh and yeah, I believe that using bigger format like 8x10 is beneficial despite shallow depth of field issues.. Tim Parkin's scans clearly show that.

As I said, I need to decide now.. the lenses are reserved for now, they are VERY fairly priced so I don't want to miss out on the opportunity. Focal length-wise I know what I'd be happy with. My favourite wide angle would be 80mm, but I can get either SA 72 XL or 90mm Grandagon 4.5 (I'll have to look for Super-Symmar 80mm XL later).
I am considering SA 58mm XL, 90mm Grandagon 4,5 for now. I wonder about the usability of the 58mm knowing that there's only 9mm of movement possible due to small image circle of that lens... would it be even usable in 4x5 format? Hmm... Getting a wide angle lens and not having any kind of movement / very little movement reminds me of LF digital capture :)

-edit- thank you all for contributing, I really appreciate it.

AtlantaTerry
17-Nov-2013, 06:18
I have shot my share of architecture with a 4x5 camera so let me say that I believe you will find a 58mm lens far too wide to comfortably work with. Not only that but you should use a special filter with it, one that has a bit of neutral density in the center. This is to even out the amount of light hitting the film. If a center ND does not come with a lens, they are (a) often hard to find and (b) quite expensive.

As suggested you will be well off renting a couple lenses that you think you would like to own then go out and actually use them. You might be surprised at what you learn.

Michael_qrt
17-Nov-2013, 21:26
What about 72xl, Super Angulon MC 120 and a 180mm/210mm lens. Huge movement possibilities with each and a good spread of focal lengths to give your shots a range of perspective. I'd see the 58mm lens as a fairly specialized piece of equipment, it has its uses of course, but 72mm with movements is already quite wide on 4x5. I'd say the best course of action is to not fuss too much about exactly which lens to get, just choose a kit that makes sense and go out and use it for a while. If you want to change up then in response to some specific needs you could sell your lenses and buy different ones. If you're really getting a good deal you shouldn't lose money (and if you lose a little just consider it a rental fee) when you sell.

The key point, as others have said, is to get out there and shoot.

ignatiusjk
18-Nov-2013, 15:55
My advice having shot many Architectural shots 90mm f8, 150mm f5.6, 300mm f9. I have used Schneiders,Nikkor's and Fuji and they've worked great.