PDA

View Full Version : Greeting Guys

Traveler
13-Nov-2013, 08:28
Hi all,

Been looking round this forum for a time now, so thought it was time to join.

Started LF photography last year for my final major in tech, using a Cambo SC (something) and an MPP S92. This really got me into LF cameras etc, so now I am on the hunt for a 4x5 camera, preferably an MPP.

So thats me, Hi everybody.

Oh, and I like traveling!

Pete Watkins
13-Nov-2013, 09:31
Welcome to the forum. Can we assume that you're in the UK?
This is only my opinion (and I'll probably get slagged off for expressing it) but I think that MPP's are over rated. Lens choice is limited by the length of bellows and registration of modern film holders could be a problem on some of the earlier models. Your choice though.
Pete.

Traveler
13-Nov-2013, 10:14
Hi Pete.

Yes I am in the UK most of the time.

Thank you for your opinion, opinions are what I am here for!

I like the MPP mainly for their historical background. I personally think that they are going to be quite collectable in the future.

dave_whatever
13-Nov-2013, 11:53
Lens choice is limited by the length of bellows...

As it is with all LF cameras.....(sorry).

Andrew O'Neill
13-Nov-2013, 12:43
Welcome to the forum! If you want a good press camera, go for a Linhof IV. I used to have one 'til it was stolen, then replaced with a Tech V. Great cameras, but I prefer my Canham for movements and HUGE bellows. Have you checked out the MPP users group? http://www.mppusers.com/

Pete Watkins
14-Nov-2013, 01:55
Dave,
Check out Sinars, need more bellows.....buy more bellows, need less bellows........buy bag bellows, need more length..............buy another rail. 4x5, 5x7 & 8x10 backs all available.
Simple.

Traveler
14-Nov-2013, 04:36
Welcome to the forum! If you want a good press camera, go for a Linhof IV. I used to have one 'til it was stolen, then replaced with a Tech V. Great cameras, but I prefer my Canham for movements and HUGE bellows. Have you checked out the MPP users group? http://www.mppusers.com/

I would love a Linhof camera, but alas, I am a student, which means, not much money. Ya know? But I will keep all options in mind, all depends on price.

And I will check out that site.

Cheers.

Also, Pete, how many lenses are necessary? If I can survive as a semi professional photographer with four lenses, I doubt I would need many more for my hobby camera?

Pete Watkins
14-Nov-2013, 09:54
Hi Traveler,
Lenses are something that you accumulate over time. Your initial choice really depends what you are planning to photograph. If you want to do buildings / ancient monuments etc I personally feel that a 90mm is pretty essential. My four smaller lenses are 90, 150,203 (the Kodak Ektar, cheap but superb) & a G-Claron 240. I have longer focal length lenses and a couple of 135's (in barrel) but if I'm just going out to take a few pictures those are the four favoured ones. I'm sure that others will offer their advice and you need to make your own personal choices. A lot would recommend a 135 mm to start with but don't get a Tessar as their field of view is often limited.
PM me If I can help more.
Pete.