PDA

View Full Version : Development of Tri-X 320 pulled to ISO 125

jsmac
31-Oct-2013, 04:47
Hello all,

I accidentally pulled TXP 320 about a stop and a half exposing it around iso 125.

Can anyone give some recommendations for the development time in D76? I have some Rodinal as well if that would make a better developer in this situation, but I assume that D76 would be the best out of the two. Thoughts and advice would be welcome and appreciated.

Many thanks.

jsmac
31-Oct-2013, 04:50
My post above is missing a crucial bit of information. The Tri-X 320 in question is a roll of 120.

Cheers.

Ken Lee
31-Oct-2013, 05:42
I would develop it normally. Many people (myself included) shoot this film (and others) at 1/2 box speed anyhow: not as a matter of principle, but after careful testing.

Here (http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/like/index.php#sexton)'s a photo by someone who does that very thing.

Jim Noel
31-Oct-2013, 10:38
At 125 you are closer to the true speed of the film than when you use box speed. My tests give it an EI of 160 (1/3 stop faster than 125) in D-76 1:1.

jsmac
31-Oct-2013, 12:00
Thanks Ken and Jim.

So just develop it according to Kodak's recommendations? Easy.

Thanks, again.

Ken Lee
31-Oct-2013, 15:19
I should point out that if you feel that you really over-exposed your film, then a bit of under-development is in order, like 10-15%. This is more important if you shot a contrasty scene, frequently over-expose your shots and/or print with a condenser enlarger, so that you're concerned about blowing the high values.

For average subjects and a casual metering technique, you will probably get better results by making sure you get adequate exposure. As others have pointed out, Tri-X has a long "toe" and responds linearly to light only when given enough exposure to move the values onto the middle section of the curve. For many this amounts to giving an extra f/stop or two.

polyglot
31-Oct-2013, 20:23
What's the scene contrast like? If it's low, then I would develop it normally and the negs will be fine if a little thick. +1 stop isn't really a problem.

If the scene contrast is quite high and you care a lot about highlight contrast, I would consider reducing the development time by about 15-25% depending on which developer it is and the agitation scheme. That will help to prevent highlights from blowing out.

Doremus Scudder
1-Nov-2013, 02:15
Develop normally, i.e, as you would usually for the subjects photographed.

Tri-X has more than enough overexposure latitude so the highlights won't block up (unless the subject was very contrasty to begin with, but then you should be developing less to begin with...)

You will, of course, get a denser negative, which will result in longer printing times. With 120 film, you'll get a bit more grain as well. Shortening developing time, however, will just yield overexposed but underdeveloped negs (i.e., too little contrast) which will be even more of a pain to print.

Best,

Doremus

jsmac
2-Nov-2013, 03:27
Thanks everyone.

What was shot wasn't terribly contrasty. Just some candid portraits in dappled shade. So it sounds like I needn't worry about reducing the development time. The negs will be scanned on a Flextight scanner rather than printed conventionally.

I'll develop as normal and report back.

Thanks, again.