PDA

View Full Version : Linhof 3D Leveling head II

mihag
29-Oct-2013, 03:45
What are the benefits of Linhof 3D Leveling head II over a high quality ball head?

http://www.linhof.com/download_e/3D_Neiger-2_2013e_I.pdf

Bob Salomon
29-Oct-2013, 05:39
Independent control of each axis with 2 panorama movements. Each tilt movement is separately locked and each has its own level on it. Extremely compact as well. This head is made in three variations. One with a standard camera screw thread (it is the original design), one that accepts Arca/Novoflex quick release plates and accessories and one that accepts the Linhof Quickfix plates.

Arne Croell
29-Oct-2013, 09:51
Independent control of each axis with 2 panorama movements. Each tilt movement is separately locked and each has its own level on it. Extremely compact as well. This head is made in three variations. One with a standard camera screw thread (it is the original design), one that accepts Arca/Novoflex quick release plates and accessories and one that accepts the Linhof Quickfix plates.
Quickfix I or II?

Bob Salomon
29-Oct-2013, 10:06
Quickfix I or II?

I

mihag
29-Oct-2013, 11:22

Thank you. It looks more precise in movements but a lot slower to adjust than a ball head. I wonder how it handles vibrations.

Bob Salomon
29-Oct-2013, 12:47
Thank you. It looks more precise in movements but a lot slower to adjust than a ball head. I wonder how it handles vibrations.

It is very fast and what vibrations? It dampens them virtually immediately.

mihag
29-Oct-2013, 13:21
I asked about the vibrations because there must be quite a bit of torque produced on both of the axis when loaded and I presume the head is made of aluminium.

Bob Salomon
29-Oct-2013, 14:09
I asked about the vibrations because there must be quite a bit of torque produced on both of the axis when loaded and I presume the head is made of aluminium.

It is aluminum and we have never received a report of vibration on any of these heads. Of course being made by a company that makes large format cameras gives them a firm understanding of how a head should perform on their cameras.

mihag
29-Oct-2013, 14:34
It is aluminum and we have never received a report of vibration on any of these heads. Of course being made by a company that makes large format cameras gives them a firm understanding of how a head should perform on their cameras.

But does it? In the pdf I linked to in my first post Linhof say Even 5x4 cameras like the Linhof Master can be combined with the 3D Levelling head while the description of their Quickfix I plate says it's for 35mm / video cameras. Can you perhaps comment on the discrepancy? I'm thinking of getting one of these for my MF camera.

Bob Salomon
29-Oct-2013, 14:47
But does it? In the pdf I linked to in my first post Linhof say Even 5x4 cameras like the Linhof Master can be combined with the 3D Levelling head while the description of their Quickfix I plate says it's for 35mm / video cameras. Can you perhaps comment on the discrepancy? I'm thinking of getting one of these for my MF camera.

The Quickfix I holds any 45 camera like a Technika. An accessory plate is available for smaller cameras. The Quickfix I has a plate that is 70 x 60mm in size. For 35mm cameras the accessory plate 003875 fits the Quickfix I.

mihag
29-Oct-2013, 15:00
The Quickfix I holds any 45 camera like a Technika. An accessory plate is available for smaller cameras. The Quickfix I has a plate that is 70 x 60mm in size. For 35mm cameras the accessory plate 003875 fits the Quickfix I.

I see. Thanks for carifying the things for me Bob.

Don
21-Dec-2013, 17:37
I've used it with Super T 5 and never had an issue. Quikfix plates are large. I've been disappointed by tripod heads, but not by any Linhof head I've used in the last 45 years. I retired and am paring down my equipment. I have many more Linhof heads left than I have tripods. Can't seem to part with the heads. I have a 77mm Leveling Pan Tilt Head I should really sell, but.....

Jeff Keller
21-Dec-2013, 19:46
Nice looking tripod head. Looks like it is spec'd for 17.6 lb max load and weighs 2.1 lbs.

You might want to also take a look at the Arca Swiss D4

GG12
22-Dec-2013, 07:01
There's been a lot of discussion about the Arca D4, the Cube, and this head on LL. Owning this one has been one of the most satisfying purchases ever - it works very very well, and is reasonably compact, although a bit heavier than would be ideal. The adjustments are just right on the mark, leveling the camera is now oh so simple and a pleasure. The only caveat is that the lower panning knob is a bit small, and not to be used to tighten the head on a tripod (tempting, but no). The Cube gives more flexibility (vertical orientation), but I've never needed it, and am totally happy with the Linhof. Just lovely.

Jac@stafford.net
22-Dec-2013, 07:19
Thank you. It looks more precise in movements but a lot slower to adjust than a ball head.

It is also intended to be used for multiple shop panoramas for which ball heads alone are not suitable.

tangyimail
25-Dec-2013, 05:16
I've tried and like it a lot, the quickfix plates are big enough, larger and more stable than the gitzo ones anyway, and it's much easier to level the camera. I now use it for both 4x5 and medium format. The only issue with it would be the price.....

mihag
25-Dec-2013, 06:33
I've used it with Super T 5 and never had an issue. Quikfix plates are large. I've been disappointed by tripod heads, but not by any Linhof head I've used in the last 45 years. I retired and am paring down my equipment. I have many more Linhof heads left than I have tripods. Can't seem to part with the heads. I have a 77mm Leveling Pan Tilt Head I should really sell, but.....
I also have this head, it's superbly made, heavy duty, but precise and smooth in operation. I really like it.