PDA

View Full Version : zone vi ultralight 4x5 movements with wide angle

bukaj
21-Oct-2013, 12:30
I recently had to return a Tachihara camera due to some problems it had with the back standard alignment. I cannot currently find another Tachihara to buy, but am looking at a Zone VI ultralight. It seems like it will meet most of my criteria, but my only two concerns are regarding using it with my 90mm f8 lens.

I have heard that the Zone VI can use a 90mm lens, but movements will be limited. How does this compare to a Tachihara, where I found the movements to be accurate. I'd rather not have to use a bag bellows.

How is the brightness of the focusing screen? In my research I read that Tachiharas have quite bright screens, and found I'd have a hard time to use something dimmer with the f8 lens. Are brighter screens still available and easy to find for the Zone VI?

I'm trying to decide if I should go with the Zone VI or wait to find another Tachihara or another 4x5 wooden field camera.

lenser
21-Oct-2013, 12:49
I may not be perfectly accurate on this as my Zone VI is not the ultralight version that Calumet made late in the company's life time. But, having said that, I will tell you that I use down to a 58mm XL on mine and have used a 47mm in the past.

With the 90mm, you will have some movements, but you will be better served with the bag bellows. If your issue with bag bellow is the ease of installation, don't sweat it. The Zone VI that i have allows me to swap the normal for the bag bellows in under a minute with ease. The bag allows for almost infinite movements and is still capable for using my 210mm lens at from infinity to moderately close focusing. The real issue is the fact that with wider lenses, the bag allows total freedom on the camera movements while the standard bellows does have limitations that challenge some movements. Of course, that also depends on the image circle that your lens projects. If it isn't a wide field type of lens, that may be a moot point in terms of how much movement you can even use.

As to the ground glass, check on ebay and often you will find brighter screens being offered. I still use mine with a Fresnel and am quite happy with the results, but my 90mm is an f5.6 lens. The 47mm I used on it was an f8 if I am remembering correctly and while the dimness was noticeable, it was not enough of a problem to be frustrating. Using a Fresnel with the ground glass does help to see more detail in the corners with a dimmer lens.

Alan Gales
21-Oct-2013, 12:52
I own a Tachi 4x5 and you can use a 90mm on a flat board with the standard bellows. The Tachihara does not support a bag bellows. The Tachi's fresnel screen is really bright.

I'm not familiar with the Zone Vi ultralight but I believe it supports a bag bellows which should solve any problems using a 90.

bukaj
21-Oct-2013, 13:26
lenser: My concern is finding the bag bellows and the extra cost. Will the camera still fold up with the bag bellows installed? Your camera may be different than the ultralight in this regard.

Alan: Take a look at my post again, I'm familiar with the Tachihara, I'm curious how the Zone VI compares to it.

It's sounds like that the Tachihara might be the better camera for me unless I find a great deal on a bag bellows.

Mark Sampson
21-Oct-2013, 14:33
I used a Tachi for 10 years (1982-92) and replaced it with a Zone VI (pre-UL). Its bag bellows let you use wide lenses easily, but the camera will not fold with it attached.
The Z-VI is a bigger, heavier, and more capable camera. The later Ultralight version has the same dimensions and features of the earlier model but is made of lighter materials.

Alan Gales
21-Oct-2013, 15:40
Alan: Take a look at my post again, I'm familiar with the Tachihara, I'm curious how the Zone VI compares to it.

Sorry!

Your post said that you had to return the Tachihara due to a problem and that after doing research you read that the fresnel was really bright. I assumed you didn't have the chance to try out the camera.

bukaj
21-Oct-2013, 15:58
Alan, I did get to use the camera for a little bit. I also noticed an error in my original post. Meant to say that the I found the Tachihara's movements with the 90mm lens to be adequate, not accurate.

Mark, having used both did you find that the Tachihara had substantially more movements with a wider lens (90mm in my case) compared to the Zone VI (with standard bellows)?

lenser
21-Oct-2013, 16:45
Bukaj,

No, it will NOT fold with the bag bellows. As to finding one, It may take a bit a patience, but check with KEH as they buy and sell used gear extensively, and on the auction site and eventually one will come up. Once you own one, I think your concerns about the extra cost will evaporate in your happiness with performance. I bought one new from Calumet in the mid nineties for something over $200.00 and love having it. When it is needed, there is simply no other way to do the job.

As to the slight wait you may experience in finding one, it seems to me that you will be no worse off than you are now and that you will be using a much better camera in terms of it's movement capabilities.

I have copies of the catalog explanations about the Zone VI including the use of the bag bellows if you would like to have them.

Alan Gales
21-Oct-2013, 17:34
Alan, I did get to use the camera for a little bit. I also noticed an error in my original post. Meant to say that the I found the Tachihara's movements with the 90mm lens to be adequate, not accurate.

I looked at Shen Hao when I bought my Tachi and one of the reasons I decided on the Tachihara was because I didn't want to carry an extra bellows and go back and forth between regular and bag bellows like you had to with the Shen. This of course is a moot point to some people.

lenser
21-Oct-2013, 18:52
Another member is offering the bag bellows on the for sale forum right now for an incredibly low $40.00. Maybe you should consider trying to pick that one up. It's got one open seam that any good shoe repair person should be able to fix with ease.

pasiasty
22-Oct-2013, 02:28
I looked at Shen Hao when I bought my Tachi and one of the reasons I decided on the Tachihara was because I didn't want to carry an extra bellows and go back and forth between regular and bag bellows like you had to with the Shen. This of course is a moot point to some people.
Nobody wants, but I can hardly imagine any bellows that would do well from 50 to 380mm (2 to 15") allowing all movements. Carrying two cameras may solve the problem ;)

Alan Gales
22-Oct-2013, 09:48
Nobody wants, but I can hardly imagine any bellows that would do well from 50 to 380mm (2 to 15") allowing all movements. Carrying two cameras may solve the problem ;)

Yeah, whatever 4x5 camera you buy, it's a compromise in one way or another. :)

Mark Sampson
22-Oct-2013, 10:05
Bukaj, if you want to use a lens wider than 135mm on the Z-VI you will need the bag bellows. The Z-VI bellows are plastic and less flexible than those on the Tachi. That said, I found the Z-VI to be a more useful camera overall- I used mine professionally for 18 years before replacing it with a Sinar Norma.

bukaj
22-Oct-2013, 12:04
Alan, I'm feeling the same way. I want a smaller kit I can easily fit in a backpack, and would rather not have to carry an extra set of bellows.

I cannot see the for sale forum on the forums list, only the buyer/seller feedback forum. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks for all the help, I think I'm going to hold out for another Tachihara camera. Can anyone recommend places to look for one? I have a tendency to have very bad luck with cameras (had to return both the EX rated ones from KEH) so someplace that offers returns is a must.

Alan Gales
22-Oct-2013, 13:10
Alan, I'm feeling the same way. I want a smaller kit I can easily fit in a backpack, and would rather not have to carry an extra set of bellows.

I cannot see the for sale forum on the forums list, only the buyer/seller feedback forum. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks for all the help, I think I'm going to hold out for another Tachihara camera. Can anyone recommend places to look for one? I have a tendency to have very bad luck with cameras (had to return both the EX rated ones from KEH) so someplace that offers returns is a must.

If I remember right you have to be a member here a month before you can view the for sale section. It's really a great place to buy and if you don't see what you want you can advertise what you are looking to buy.

If you are patient you can pick up a real nice used Tachihara off Ebay for about $700.00 or a little more. Ebay is real good about backing up Buyers if you have a problem that you can't resolve with a Seller.

lenser
22-Oct-2013, 14:37
bukaj

When you mentioned backpacking, you threw a big curve into my thinking in terms of the bag bellows. That curve being that you will very seldom find an image situation in landscape other than being close to tall trees where the need for a bag would even be in consideration. I can remember using a bit of tilt or a bit of rise in the field (with a standard bellows), but the only time I have needed the excessive movements that require a bag with even my widest lenses has been in architectural situations such as church interiors or exteriors of very tall buildings. Either the Zone VI or the Tachihara should serve you well with the standard bellows, but Zone VI will offer you better engineering and the option for the bag if and when you get into those situations that might require it. Sorry I didn't realize that you were mostly interested in landscape.

Tim

bukaj
22-Oct-2013, 16:13
I don't mean to imply that I strictly shoot landscapes by mentioning backpacking. I don't shoot much landscape at all actually. I live in a dense city and get around by bicycle and public transportation most of the time, so I need a setup that's fairly light and will fit in a regular backpack, so the less equipment I need to carry, the better.

Mark Sampson
22-Oct-2013, 20:01
Bukaj, in that case go with the Tachihara. It's a fine camera, a little delicate perhaps, but will give you many years of good service even if you work it hard (as I did). A 90/8 lens, a 'normal' of your choice, and a 300/9 Nikkor-M will be a great kit.