PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Master Creative Suite

swmcl
5-Oct-2013, 18:27
Hi,

Is there much benefit in buying Adobe CS 6 Master over buying just the PS Extended ?

Assuming a photographers needs that is.

I'm not using any digital camera at present (for anything serious anyway...)

I'm not sure what Bridge is used for nor many of the other programs.

Cheers,

Steve

IanB
6-Oct-2013, 02:40
Not if you are only a photographer. Many photographers actually find Lightroom is all they need - not even full Photoshop.

Most of the other programmes are for various types of publishing - either in print or on the web. Illustrator is a graphic programme; InDesign is for page layout in books and magazines etc.

You can spend a lot of money here - check your needs carefully before buying.

Light Guru
6-Oct-2013, 07:24
Is there much benefit in buying Adobe CS 6 Master over buying just the PS Extended? Assuming a photographers needs that is.

Well Adobe does not sell CS6 anymore. They now sell Creative cloud. You can get the full package or just photoshop.
Nobody here can say if you will genii fit from the full creative cloud because you did not say what your needs are. Some photographers would need the full del as they do video bits for clients or even about their own work. Some photographers also utilize the illustrator or the other software in helping them promote their business etc.

Not if you are only a photographer. Many photographers actually find Lightroom is all they need - not even full Photoshop.

Keep in mind that this is a large format photography forum so I would say that photoshop is definitely needed over Lightroom. Lightroom is just not designed to edit the large files you get from scanning a large format negative.

EdSawyer
6-Oct-2013, 11:04
You can still buy cs6. They have a free trial available too.

Jac@stafford.net
6-Oct-2013, 11:28
You can still buy cs6. They have a free trial available too.

All I can find is 6 Creative Cloud.

Primo I.
6-Oct-2013, 11:28
I have both Adobe CS6, Adobe Elements 11 and Lightroom 5 and have had almost every version prior to these. When Lightroom came out, I found myself using it more and more than I use CS6 or Elements. In fact, I hardly ever use CS6 anymore since the recent updates to lightroom pretty much provide everything I need to fix and manage my photos in one place. If I really need to do something special, I then go to Elements since it is much easier and fluid than CS6. Don't get me wrong, if your a graphic artist or specialize in manipulation of photos for whatever business your, CS6 is the king and best software out there, but if your just looking to manage your photo library, fix your photos and even do some major cleaning up, Lightroom really is the way to go. Good luck on your choice!

Primo I.
6-Oct-2013, 11:31
That of course depends on the version your using. If using the current version 5, it reallis all you need and can handle (at least from my experience) large scans of 8x10 negatives. Larger than that, I can't comment since I don't shoot that size. Yet that is.

swmcl
6-Oct-2013, 12:53
Cheers all,

I thought it might be the case that there were a number of extras in there. I do shoot and scan 5x7 in B&W and have 4x5 colour also. And yes, it is very expensive but I'm hoping that the product will go well beyond my needs so I'll not need to 'update' for a while (Plus I bought a new 64bit computer)I would hope that Google or someone would come up with a product to compete with Adobe. I purchased the NIK range from google recently but I think it is a bit simple for what I want.

Good light ...

EdSawyer
7-Oct-2013, 06:34
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1208802

various other links on google will provide more info too. (re: CS6 trial)

Racer X 69
21-Oct-2013, 06:17
Has anyone here tried Gimp? As far as I can see it does everything that Photoshop does, and you can't beat the price.

welly
21-Oct-2013, 06:30
Has anyone here tried Gimp? As far as I can see it does everything that Photoshop does, and you can't beat the price.

It's got an awful interface. By all means try it out and you may like it but I found it just didn't work for me. Far too difficult to use. It's a creative tool built by techies.

Adamphotoman
22-Oct-2013, 10:07
Yes PS6 is still sold. I went onto a chat line and they gave me this link
http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_creativesuite6.html

I still prefer it over lightroom

Racer X 69
22-Oct-2013, 10:45
It's got an awful interface. By all means try it out and you may like it but I found it just didn't work for me. Far too difficult to use. It's a creative tool built by techies.

I see. Thank you for your comment!

Gimp was suggested to me on some other photography forums, so I thought I might give it a go, but have yet to actually do so. Being created by iMac users, I know there may be some familiarity issues, and finding the correct version (WinBlows instead of iMac) was a bit cumbersome.

Still, the price is right, so I may try it out. I did the same with MicroS*** Office stuff and went to Open Office. That too had some differences, things I was used to were laid out differently, named in other ways, but after becoming familiar with it I will never again spend the money for the latest version form the House that Bill Built.

bobwysiwyg
22-Oct-2013, 14:11
My thought or question would be what is it you believe you will do with said application? I shoot 35mm, 4x5 and digital (including a Nikon D600 which I just acquired, a quantum leap up from my Nikon D100). My goal with all of them is to get it right 'in the camera." I only use a pic editor to upload scanned negatives or fix a real foul-up on my part,, or in the case of the D600, Nikon's ViewNX only because it can read the RAW files. If your needs are pretty basic, as are mine, you might look into Paint.net... free also.

swmcl
6-Nov-2013, 02:43
Thanks guys for your advice.

I went with PS CS 6. So now for the learning curve ...

Cheers,