PDA

View Full Version : Strange Flickr phenomena

jp
5-Sep-2013, 18:43
Despite hating the changes, it's still an interesting and vibrant place. I've got enough contacts and activity happening to keep me coming back to view and contribute, but I'm still magnitudes less busy than some of the people who put much more effort into it and kindled big followings.

The stats are a tease; they hide enough info to make me curious.

Since the changes, I've gotten much more traffic from contacts. At least double. It's good to know it's other like minded photographers viewing your stuff mostly.

One of my more popular photos on slow days (like when I haven't uploaded anything for a few days) is a photo (http://www.flickr.com/photos/13759696@N02/9329605593/) with an amputee in it. It is nothing special, just a completely candid innocent B&W photo of a couple guys and a motorcycle. It gets steady visits every day because of the amputee tag. I did not realize amputee was such as popular search term. It is VERY likely to get you NSFW results searching for the term, which did surprise me a little bit.

Then yesterday, I had 712 views, which is fairly high for my stuff. Somehow I came up high in relevance for searches for "graflex rb super d". Or maybe I always was and never searched for it? All the high count photos were for people searching for that term. Wonder if that camera had some recent article written about it or something? We don't get stats on incoming links to searches, just to actual photos. Usually the search+clicks are simpler generic things that don't amount to much for daily hit spikes, rather more commonly a handful of search+clicks for 4x5 or pyrocat hd or speed graphic. Usually high view count days are a result of uploading a few decent photos, not because an obscure search term became popular quickly.

adelorenzo
5-Sep-2013, 19:19
Flickr has started counting 'views' on some occasions when your photo is seen with other photos, so counts have gone up. Makes sense, I see a lot of pictures browsing groups or contacts but generally only click on a few. People are probably viewing your photos in a search but not necessarily clicking through.

Some info on this thread (http://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157634613602844/):

We're figuring out how to take the viewer's intent into account, and the goal is to get to a place where whenever someone's seen your photo fully and intentionally, that counts as a view.

This should help some of the confusion, for example, around finding that your photo has been favorited multiple times without receiving any views.