PDA

View Full Version : gentle valve or nozzle for laundry-dark-room

BetterSense
31-Aug-2013, 20:39
I moved to an apartment so I will be printing on a card table in the laundry room. It is very near the kitchen, so I could just get my water from the kitchen, but I like to keep food and phott separate.

I can tee off the cold water supply to the washer, but I need some kind of valve that will let me neatly dispense water into a tray without spraying everywhere. A garden hose nozzle is the opposite of what I need. Maybe it will be impossible without regulating the pressure down, but it seems like there should be some type of valve or nozzle that will make running water into trays neat and easy.

I have not figured out how to tee into the drain without pulling the washer drain out every time which is risky because I might forget to put it back. Ideas are appreciated.

lenser
31-Aug-2013, 21:01
Put a "Y" splitter directly on the cold water outlet. Reconnect the hose from the washing machine to which ever side you wish. Then attach a normal turn valve off the other side of that followed with a length of hose that meets your needs for distance. The turn valve allows you to regulate the water flow off that one side at what ever force you want.

Daniel Stone
31-Aug-2013, 21:13
ditto to what 'lenser' said

one of these:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-Hose-Y-with-Shut-Off-27903/100659292#.UiK-uWRoT7A

Bill Burk
31-Aug-2013, 22:35
As for the drain... I ran a hose from the darkroom sink drain to a "garbage disposal fitting" under the laundry tub drain.

BetterSense
1-Sep-2013, 13:00
If I use the splitter valve, then I have to reach behind the washer to turn it off and on, which could be a problem with no proper sink. I could use the valve plus put a hose nozzle on the end, but I have found that no matter how small the setting of the first valve, the pressure still builds up and opening the 2nd nozzle still sprays everywhere.

ic-racer
1-Sep-2013, 13:50
From the adapter in post #3 you could get a 'garden hose-to-PEX' connector then run a short PEX line (rather than garden hose) out to a little PEX spigot like one of these this. PEX has its critics, but should be an improvement over garden hose. Basically, once you are in the PEX system, you will have more choices for valve types for the end of the line. ( http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/ContentView?pn=KH_PL_SharkBite&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053 )

Tin Can
1-Sep-2013, 14:20
I'm a Pex'n right now...

First time..

lenser
1-Sep-2013, 16:27
Okay, if the pex thing (I'm not familiar) doesn't appeal to you, just use a short length of garden hose (2 to 3 feet) to the normal type of wheeled turn of valve which you can figure out how to mount to a handier area of the wall. Then attach another short length of hose to where your work trays are located.