PDA

View Full Version : Any LF-ers in or near NYC?

bomzi
30-Aug-2013, 20:35
I've seen posting for LF meet-up's for all sorts of places except NYC!

It would be great to meet up if anyone is around.

Randhir

Renato Tonelli
1-Sep-2013, 13:57
Keep me in mind.

Jim C.
1-Sep-2013, 15:56
Nope, none anywhere in and around New York. Large Format photographers have been banned just like Large format soft drinks... ;-)

Courts overturned that, we're still here. ;)

Bob Mann
1-Sep-2013, 16:33
Does Long Island count as near by?

bomzi
3-Sep-2013, 07:35
Well, I'd like to propose a meetup for anyone that can make it into NYC.

Does the third week of September work?

I'm in Brooklyn but I dont have a car. It would be great to meet somewhere accessible by the subway.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Renato Tonelli
3-Sep-2013, 18:14
Central Park?

Don Ciccone
5-Sep-2013, 19:05
Central Park?

A few of us live within walking distance to park but other locations OK as well. Sept 21 or 22?

Renato Tonelli
6-Sep-2013, 06:41
A few of us live within walking distance to park but other locations OK as well. Sept 21 or 22?

The 22nd works for me. For me, other locations are fine as well as long as they are accessible by public transportation.

bomzi
7-Sep-2013, 10:42
22nd works for me as well! I'm coming from Fort Greene so CP is not a problem.
Any particular location in the park?

Don Ciccone
7-Sep-2013, 20:42
22nd works for me as well! I'm coming from Fort Greene so CP is not a problem.
Any particular location in the park?

I suggest the Bethesda Fountain, it's in the center of the park, about equidistant from CPW and 5th Ave. Enter at 72nd St.
How about 11 AM or is that too early for anyone outside the city?

Don

jb7
8-Sep-2013, 06:32
That's exactly a week too early for me, I get in on the 29th- unfortunate timing...

Renato Tonelli
16-Sep-2013, 13:24
I suggest the Bethesda Fountain, it's in the center of the park, about equidistant from CPW and 5th Ave. Enter at 72nd St.
How about 11 AM or is that too early for anyone outside the city?

Don

Good idea - how about it?

Don Ciccone
16-Sep-2013, 20:16
Good idea - how about it?

This Sunday at 11AM at the fountain in CP OK with me. Can we get a sense of how many are likely to attend? Is the original poster still involved? Haven't seen anything on this thread in a week or more.

Don

Renato Tonelli
17-Sep-2013, 07:44
This Sunday at 11AM at the fountain in CP OK with me. Can we get a sense of how many are likely to attend? Is the original poster still involved? Haven't seen anything on this thread in a week or more.

Don

I agree - we need a sense of how many will show up.

Renato Tonelli
20-Sep-2013, 07:24
I guess this is not happening for this Sunday.

(I would need to know before 5PM today).

bomzi
20-Sep-2013, 07:47
Sorry for to lack of communication! I had a family wedding.

I'm definitely in for this Sunday at 11 at the fountain. Its supposed to rain this Saturday but Sunday will be clear.

Based on my count, there will be three people there.

Renato Tonelli
Don Ciccone
Randhir Singh (me)

AtlantaTerry
21-Sep-2013, 21:42
Just curious, do the NY cops hassle you if you are using a large format camera with tripod, black cloth, etc?

Renato Tonelli
22-Sep-2013, 05:06
No - not as long as you don't block traffic (that includes pedestrian traffic on the sidewalk). You are more likely to get hassled by commercial concerns such as private buildings ( "This is private property" syndrome).

AtlantaTerry
22-Sep-2013, 11:37
That is an interesting philosophical question. Can an inanimate object such as a building have an expectation of privacy?

Renato Tonelli
22-Sep-2013, 14:43
That is an interesting philosophical question. Can an inanimate object such as a building have an expectation of privacy?

I don't think so but, apparently, the people who own it seem to think so.

Renato Tonelli
22-Sep-2013, 14:45
It was a blast! Nice turnout.

"Bomzi" - thank you for organizing it.

Don Ciccone
22-Sep-2013, 18:09
It was a blast! Nice turnout.

"Bomzi" - thank you for organizing it.

The turnout was surprising to say the least, thanks "Bomzi". Really great day in CP.

Don

bomzi
23-Sep-2013, 06:46
It was a great day to be out shooting in Central Park. And it was great to meet fellow LF-ers! Hope to attend another meet up soon.

Fotoguy20d
28-Sep-2013, 18:59
just saw this thread. I'm in if there's another outing.

Dan

Don Ciccone
29-Sep-2013, 17:29
Just FYI, a small group of us are going to Peter's Valley in northern NJ next Sat. Fall foliage should be near peak. Let me know if you're interested.

Don

Pete Roody
23-Oct-2013, 13:38
Just FYI, a small group of us are going to Peter's Valley in northern NJ next Sat. Fall foliage should be near peak. Let me know if you're interested.

Don

We are planning to try Peter's Valley again this Saturday. We have room for a couple of photographers if you want to join us. Leaving from Manhattan.

Pete

Renato Tonelli
23-Oct-2013, 17:31
I'm in!

We are planning to try Peter's Valley again this Saturday. We have room for a couple of photographers if you want to join us. Leaving from Manhattan.

Pete

StoneNYC
23-Oct-2013, 20:41
No - not as long as you don't block traffic (that includes pedestrian traffic on the sidewalk). You are more likely to get hassled by commercial concerns such as private buildings ( "This is private property" syndrome).

You block traffic at almost every place in NYC haha

I've had trouble in Times Square and Grand Central Station with only a small tripod using a 35mm camera, never tried my LF camera...

Also, I technically live in CT, but travel often to NYC for work, so is another meetup eminent?

Sorry I missed this one.

Pete Roody
24-Oct-2013, 06:32
You block traffic at almost every place in NYC haha

I've had trouble in Times Square and Grand Central Station with only a small tripod using a 35mm camera, never tried my LF camera...

Also, I technically live in CT, but travel often to NYC for work, so is another meetup eminent?

Sorry I missed this one.

A few of us try and shoot every Saturday (weather permitting). We don't usually shoot in Manhattan but as the weather gets colder I want to try some early morning shots there to avoid traffic issues. We can get around to just about anywhere. If you have any suggestions where you want to shoot that would be great.

StoneNYC
24-Oct-2013, 07:25
A few of us try and shoot every Saturday (weather permitting). We don't usually shoot in Manhattan but as the weather gets colder I want to try some early morning shots there to avoid traffic issues. We can get around to just about anywhere. If you have any suggestions where you want to shoot that would be great.

I still want to shoot grand central, I know it's cliche but someday I won't live here and I feel like it's stupid not to shoot it while I can... the classic window shot from the stairs.

Shootar401
25-Oct-2013, 10:36
I live in the W60's so if anybody wants to shoot one weekend let me know. I mostly shoot street photography with my Speed sometimes my Yashica TLR.

yuexiachou29
7-Nov-2013, 08:57
Hi Folks,
I created a Facebook group on LF meet up. please join the group, this place would be great to share/update what we all passionate about .
https://www.facebook.com/groups/215476198625396/

Im also a photographer and super fan of LF.

ShawnHoke
14-Nov-2013, 05:27
I still want to shoot grand central, I know it's cliche but someday I won't live here and I feel like it's stupid not to shoot it while I can... the classic window shot from the stairs.

Hey Stone, read it and weep (http://shawnhoke.com/shawn-hoke-photography/2013/02/shooting-in-nycs-grand-central-terminal-with-an-8x10-camera). ;) it actually wasn't that bad, but I would be much more prepared and focused next time.

Pete Roody
14-Nov-2013, 07:33
Hey Stone, read it and weep (http://shawnhoke.com/shawn-hoke-photography/2013/02/shooting-in-nycs-grand-central-terminal-with-an-8x10-camera). ;) it actually wasn't that bad, but I would be much more prepared and focused next time.

Well I am jealous Shawn. Nice photos. Want to share how you got permission for the shoot?

StoneNYC
14-Nov-2013, 09:18

Nice!

Very jealous... I only have one with my tiny 35mm... However... It is Kodachrome... ;)

Think they would approve a group photo application? :)

ShawnHoke
14-Nov-2013, 17:04
Well I am jealous Shawn. Nice photos. Want to share how you got permission for the shoot?

Thanks, Pete! I grabbed an email from their website and just sent them a quick message telling them what I wanted to do. I didn't hear back so I sent a reminder email and a woman answered with some questions. Then she sent me a form I had to fill out and send to her as a PDF. Wasn't too much. It's the tripod they have an issue with. Then I had to pick up my guest pass and the station master's office. I think the contact I used on the website may have been "Production Contact"?

ShawnHoke
14-Nov-2013, 17:06
Nice!

Very jealous... I only have one with my tiny 35mm... However... It is Kodachrome... ;)

Think they would approve a group photo application? :)

Oooh, Kodachrome! That's nice. One thing they were VERY serious about was I could not shoot from any of the balconies. Or in front of any stairs. Of course the ONE shot everyone wants is from the balcony. A security guard let me take a quick (LF version of quick) shot from the balcony.

Boy, a group of us would cause quite a stir there! People were so curious.

StoneNYC
14-Nov-2013, 19:35
Oooh, Kodachrome! That's nice. One thing they were VERY serious about was I could not shoot from any of the balconies. Or in front of any stairs. Of course the ONE shot everyone wants is from the balcony. A security guard let me take a quick (LF version of quick) shot from the balcony.

Boy, a group of us would cause quite a stir there! People were so curious.

Thanks, this one is also from the balcony, and I had a lot of trouble with that too, in order to get a good depth of field, while also getting the exposure right and getting the people slightly in motion and having some ghosting while others being frozen, I needed to shoot with a tripod considering that Kodachrome is 64 ASA, they came up to bother me telling me I couldn't set up a tripod, and then I asked okay so what if I just use one leg like a monopod and I rested on my foot and I stand in front of the balcony is that okay? And the guy seemed to be okay with that as long as I did it relatively quickly, I spent about three or four minutes making sure that the shot was right and then took it and two more others at two other shutter speeds just in case my guesstimate about shadow people was off. However I probably wouldn't want to rest my 4 x 5 on a single tripod on top of my foot that might be a bit much ;)

baronvonaaron
13-Jan-2014, 21:34
I've just moved to Brooklyn. I ran away from the circus to devote more time to photography. Hello fellow new yorkers.

StoneNYC
14-Jan-2014, 00:27
Hi, I'm actually in CT despite my handle... Lol