PDA

View Full Version : Show in Santa Fe at the Marion Center

Kirk Gittings
28-Aug-2013, 11:44
There is an interesting show up right now (that I am in) at the Marion Center for the Photographic Arts at the Santa Fe University of Art and Design. It hasn't "opened yet" but is already open to the public.

http://www.santafeuniversity.edu/News/NewsRoom/MarionCenterFallExhibit2013.aspx

Wayne Lambert
28-Aug-2013, 12:48
Congratulations, Kirk! It does sound like an interesting show.
Wayne

Richard Wasserman
28-Aug-2013, 14:10
Nice!

Stephen Willard
28-Aug-2013, 16:54
Cool! I always love to hear about other photographer's successes. Congratulation Kirk.

My wife made two new best friends while she spent a month at Vermont Studio Center writing poetry. Both live in Santa Fe, but one also has a flat in Manhattan. She has been spending a lot of time down there and loves New Mexico. We are now considering buying a second home in Santa FE so she will have a place of her own to stay.

That said, I started doing some research about Santa FE and to my surprise New Mexico is in the top ten most violent states in the country. I think it rates number nine, and its in the northern counties where most of the violent crime resides. I have two questions that need to be answered. First, what is the nature of the violence in New Mexico? And two, is there any work in the art show that addresses the violence in New Mexico?

Anybody can comment...

Kirk Gittings
29-Aug-2013, 08:46
First off I encourage everyone in the arts to not move here or even visit. The light sucks and there is nothing interesting here for artistic inspiration. All those great paintings by Okeefe and AA? Just a media campaign to suck in tourists and their $s. All those famous images were actually done in Arizona so I encourage you to go there. Thats where I am right now at the Petrified Forest-escaping god forsaken New Mexico. New Mexico is one of the poorest state too. You can't make a living here. Trust me I have been trying for 55 years and haven't made a dime from my photography. I actually cook meth for a living. Breaking Bad is about the real New Mexico economy, but they actually shoot it in Arizona. Brian Cranston thought New Mexico was too depressing so he insisted it be shot in AZ. Ever read Cormack McCarty's "The Road? That's the real New Mexico. A little too optimistic though IMHO-it should have been bleaker to be accurate. Cannibals and crap everywhere you turn. He wrote that while he was an artist-in-residence in Santa Fe at the Santa Fe Institute. See? That's what New Mexico does to artists. It turns them into suicidal depressives with no hope.

Seriously.

rjphil
29-Aug-2013, 12:42
Made the mistake of reading "The Road". It definitely NOT the book for anyone who is the least bit depressive (like most artists I know...:cool:).

Stephen Willard
29-Aug-2013, 16:01
Holy Shit Kirk. It is rare these days for anyone to say it as it is. Thanks so much for your candid response. I am going to pass on your response to my wife who is in Durango at the moment. She is the one who is driving this movement.

-Stephen

Drew Wiley
29-Aug-2013, 16:22
Our forklift driver is from that corner of New Mexico, somewhere near Farmington, and he grew up speaking a dialect of old Spanish that nobody of Mexican descent
seems to understand ... even European history has quite a footprint in that part of the world. Sorry to hear that the Chaco cannibals are still on the loose. You'd
think the vegan mentality around here would has disseminated into the southwest by now, but even my cats are having a hard time with that philosophy of cuisine.

DennisD
29-Aug-2013, 18:50
First off I encourage everyone in the arts to not move here or even visit. The light sucks and there is nothing interesting here for artistic inspiration. All those great paintings by Okeefe and AA? Just a media campaign to suck in tourists and their $s. All those famous images were actually done in Arizona so I encourage you to go there. Thats where I am right now at the Petrified Forest-escaping god forsaken New Mexico. New Mexico is one of the poorest state too. You can't make a living here. Trust me I have been trying for 55 years and haven't made a dime from my photography. I actually cook meth for a living. Breaking Bad is about the real New Mexico economy, but they actually shoot it in Arizona. Brian Cranston thought New Mexico was too depressing so he insisted it be shot in AZ. Ever read Cormack McCarty's "The Road? That's the real New Mexico. A little too optimistic though IMHO-it should have been bleaker to be accurate. Cannibals and crap everywhere you turn. He wrote that while he was an artist-in-residence in Santa Fe at the Santa Fe Institute. See? That's what New Mexico does to artists. It turns them into suicidal depressives with no hope.

Seriously.
Gee Wiz, Kirk.
I knew it was bad, but I had no idea it was that bad.
Thanks for tipping us all off. I'll steer clear for sure and I just hope the cannibals don't get to you either.
It's Arizona for me, baby !

DennisD
30-Aug-2013, 09:23
P.S. Congratulations on the show
....even though it's in New Mexico !

Ken Lee
30-Aug-2013, 10:13
Excellent !

rdenney
30-Aug-2013, 18:02
Looks like I'm going to be in Santa Fe on 9/16 and a couple of days thereafter. I'll have to figure out how to stop by. No time in Albuquerque on this trip, however.

I didn't see hours for the general exhibit, though. Kirk, any idea when it closes each day?

Rick "whose constant travel usually manages to not coincide with shows like this" Denney

Wayne Lambert
31-Aug-2013, 08:46
It's why I moved from Santa Fe back to Colorado last winter. And I've recommended to the state that we put a fortified entry station on Raton Pass.
Wayne

Kirk Gittings
31-Aug-2013, 11:48
Looks like I'm going to be in Santa Fe on 9/16 and a couple of days thereafter. I'll have to figure out how to stop by. No time in Albuquerque on this trip, however.

I didn't see hours for the general exhibit, though. Kirk, any idea when it closes each day?

Rick "whose constant travel usually manages to not coincide with shows like this" Denney

It is a "public" building. I think it is open 8-5.

Sal Santamaura
31-Aug-2013, 12:38

Seriously.

Holy Shit Kirk. It is rare these days for anyone to say it as it is. Thanks so much for your candid response. I am going to pass on your response to my wife who is in Durango at the moment. She is the one who is driving this movement...Stephen, I don't know if you're even better at subtle sarcasm than Kirk's "I don't want anyone else here to clutter up this wonderful state" post was. You might be, because it sure reads like you thought he was serious. If you really bought into the literal words of post #5, be advised you shouldn't have. Your wife should ignore it and continue her Santa Fe (not FE), research. It's a beautiful place. :D

Kirk Gittings
1-Sep-2013, 08:45
Sal what was your first "subtle" clue?

Sal Santamaura
1-Sep-2013, 09:22
sal what was your first "subtle" clue?It was:

...the light sucks...:)

Kirk Gittings
1-Sep-2013, 12:32
:)....

rdenney
3-Sep-2013, 19:55
It is a "public" building. I think it is open 8-5.

I may be screwed, but I'm gonna try. 5 is early.

Rick "at the mercy of others" Denney

Kirk Gittings
7-Sep-2013, 21:14