PDA

View Full Version : Eversmart Pro II - scanning questions...

Kimberly Anderson
25-Aug-2013, 21:00
Hey gang,

I know that there are some smart people here, so I thought I'd toss this out. Yes, I have contacted the gentleman who sold me the scanner with the same questions, so I'm sure he'll chime in privately as well.

I picked up an Eversmart Pro II this weekend and got it set up last night. Everything recognizes everything else just fine, but when I go to scan my previews are VERY light. The only way I can get a good scan is to turn the exposure to 0 and the brightness to 0. It also seems that I am unable to set my white and black point. When I use that dialog box, nothing on the image changes.

I am scanning B&W negatives mainly but also color too. I am using a Mac G4 with OS 9.2. I am using v. 1.1.0.

Thanks!

MS

sanking
27-Aug-2013, 07:15
Michael,

First, if you don't have a manual you can download .pdf files of the documentation for the Eversmart Scanning Application fro the Files section of the ScanHigh-End forum on Yahoo. http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ScanHi-End/ I suspect that you will have to join the group in order to download the files.

Setting end points is done this way. First, choose white value or dark value, then click on the icon that selects this value in the image area. Click on the point for your white or dark value, and then click at the bottom of the dialog box to select the values. You will not send the values change until you accept the values and close the dialog box.

The Eversmart Pro II is a great scanner but the software is not as intuitive to me as other scanning software I have used.

Sandy

Kimberly Anderson
27-Aug-2013, 10:41
Sandy, yes I joined that group a few weeks ago when I went to Albequerque to look at the Imacon flat bed scanner that I did not purchase. I have downloaded the manuals and it seems that I must be missing something important.

I'll go back and follow your directions and see where that takes me. Thanks!

MS

sanking
27-Aug-2013, 12:52
When working with that software I often feel like I am missing something. It is quite powerful but was developed in the pre-Photoshop age and many of the controls are just not as we expect them to be.

Sandy

Sandy, yes I joined that group a few weeks ago when I went to Albequerque to look at the Imacon flat bed scanner that I did not purchase. I have downloaded the manuals and it seems that I must be missing something important.

I'll go back and follow your directions and see where that takes me. Thanks!

MS

Kimberly Anderson
27-Aug-2013, 12:58
Sandy, are you paraphrasing Yoda when he says..."You must UNLEARN what you have learned!" ????

Kimberly Anderson
28-Aug-2013, 18:40
Figuring it out. Brought into Lightroom and had to do MINIMAL tweaking to get it where I wanted it. The end-points were the ticket. For scanning B&W film, is there a particular film preset that you suggest I try? I am going to try a bunch of different ones and see if there's much difference.

Thanks again.

Jim collum
28-Aug-2013, 18:58
Figuring it out. Brought into Lightroom and had to do MINIMAL tweaking to get it where I wanted it. The end-points were the ticket. For scanning B&W film, is there a particular film preset that you suggest I try? I am going to try a bunch of different ones and see if there's much difference.

Thanks again.

The most important thing I found on presets was the sharpening settings. Using the default made the grain look like bad digital jpg sharpening. I turned sharpening down, pretty much close to nothing at all.

Jim collum
28-Aug-2013, 18:59
btw.. congrats on the scanner.. Personally, I'm a bit jealous.. (My Eversmart Pro having just died a fatal death..leaving me with no scanner at all...)

Kimberly Anderson
28-Aug-2013, 19:04
Yes, thanks. I have a preset now that has no sharpening and no smoothing. That's my default setting. If you can't fix your scanner, let me know if you'd sell it for parts. I am probably going to need a back-up... Odds are another one will show up and you'll grab it. I am sure you're on the lookout now.

The AN glass that this particular model came with is as close to perfect as I have found. Looking into these files is truly amazing. I am only scanning at 1270 and I wonder at what point am I scanning grain.

Jim collum
28-Aug-2013, 19:05
Yea.. there's motivation to find a new one.. I don't shoot unless I can print.. which means my film camera's sit on the shelf, the film in the fridge, until I can find a replacement....

Yes, thanks. I have a preset now that has no sharpening and no smoothing. That's my default setting. If you can't fix your scanner, let me know if you'd sell it for parts. I am probably going to need a back-up... Odds are another one will show up and you'll grab it. I am sure you're on the lookout now.

The AN glass that this particular model came with is as close to perfect as I have found. Looking into these files is truly amazing. I am only scanning at 1270 and I wonder at what point am I scanning grain.

sanking
29-Aug-2013, 08:55

That will depend on the film of course, but with TRI-X or TMY I don't believe you will see any grain until you get to 2540 dpi or more.

The Eversmart scanners are really good flatbed scanners. The method of scanning used is like mowing grass and then stitching the files together, all done in the driver software. This means that at any given time the lens, which is a very high quality Rodenstock one, is always scanning at or near the optimum coverage. The result is sharpness that closely rivals drum scanners, at the same scanning dpi, and assuming no interpolation of course. Dynamic range is not quite as great as with drum scanners, but still very good.

Sandy