PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Hoya HMC Filters?

Steve Goldstein
16-Aug-2013, 17:28
I just happened on a new-in-the-box Hoya HMC filter in a color I wanted at a good price, so I deviated from my normal B+W snobbery and bought it. On the front of the box it says "Do not use any chemical cleanser for cleaning only a soft cotton cloth allowed". Really??? I can't use Panchro like I do on everything else, or a microfiber cloth, or Rosco tissue?

Yes, it was relatively cheap, but I don't want to try my normal procedures if they're going to wreck it. Has anyone violated these rules and lived to tell the tale?

BrianShaw
16-Aug-2013, 17:30
I just happened on a new-in-the-box Hoya HMC filter in a color I wanted at a good price, so I deviated from my normal B+W snobbery and bought it. On the front of the box it says "Do not use any chemical cleanser for cleaning only a soft cotton cloth allowed". Really??? I can't use Panchro like I do on everything else, or a microfiber cloth, or Rosco tissue?

Yes, it was relatively cheap, but I don't want to try my normal procedures if they're going to wreck it. Has anyone violated these rules and lived to tell the tale?

I've cleaned mine with hot, steaming breath and a microfiber. I've also used old Kodak lens tissue and Kodak lens cleaning fluid. Neither the filter nor I have suffered any damage.

Steve Goldstein
16-Aug-2013, 17:36
Thanks!

Heroique
16-Aug-2013, 17:45
I like Hoya HMC filters, I’ve owned several, excellent value for the dollar. But sometimes they do their best to appear unclean, even when they’re really clean. That took some getting use to. After a water rinse, microfiber cloth works well for me, sometimes with 99% isopropyl depending on the situation.

Drew Wiley
19-Aug-2013, 12:11
I just clean em normal with 3M microfiber and a little bad breath. They hold up well until you drop em.

JohnJ
22-Aug-2013, 19:02
I just clean em normal with 3M microfiber and a little bad breath. They hold up well until you drop em.

+1, clean, fresh breath doesn't work as well, not enough kick!