PDA

View Full Version : New Book on Edward Weston

domenico Foschi
21-Jul-2004, 11:25
wouldn't it be nice if people would invest their time and money to publish unknown artists, rather than famous ones (dead) over and over and over......

Jeremy Moore
21-Jul-2004, 11:27
Actually, Lodima Press is printing a series of newer artists in small, low-priced books to get their work and name out to the public.

In other words: wouldn't it be nice if people would know what they were talking about before they clicked "submit."

Mike Troxell
21-Jul-2004, 12:35
Or, in still other words: wouldn't it be nice if we all waited 30 minutes before replying to a post, any post, to either complain or to complain about someone complaining, or possibly to complain about the people who are complaining about people who complain. Everyone take a deep breath and step away from the keyboard with your hands in plain sight.

Chad Jarvis
21-Jul-2004, 13:00
I'd like to hear more about the production of the book. How was the text printed? Lithographically? Letterpress? How about the photos? Liths? Inkjet? What?

Chad Jarvis
21-Jul-2004, 13:03
And Domenico is correct...but you won't have to hold your breath for much longer to hold a book just like that in your hands. Great things are coming. Look for a full-page ad in B&W Magazine in the September/October issue for just such an offering: a semi-annually published book featuring the works of contemporary arists working in alternative processes with essays by today's foremost authorities in the photographic arts.

tim atherton
21-Jul-2004, 13:04
http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=005XXG&unified_p=1

tim atherton
21-Jul-2004, 13:05
PS - Chad - I don't think Weston did that many inkjet prints?

tim atherton
21-Jul-2004, 13:13
"And Domenico is correct...but you won't have to hold your breath for much longer to hold a book just like that in your hands. Great things are coming. Look for a full-page ad in B&W Magazine in the September/October issue for just such an offering: a semi-annually published book featuring the works of contemporary arists working in alternative processes with essays by today's foremost authorities in the photographic arts."

Are the photographs going to be any good/interesting or is it going to be foucssed more on processes? e.g. The only two decent pieces in B&W over the last two years have been the one on Jock Sturges and the one on Michael Smith I think.

I notice Michael Smith's small books nearly all monographs about photographers where the content of their work is foremost rather than the process, whoich is really secondary- just the means to an end - Adams (R), Baril, Nixon, Gowin, Fink, Golke etc.

Bill_1856
21-Jul-2004, 13:45
My thoughts on "Edward Weston: Life Work" is that the reproductions are, indeed, the best I've ever seen, but the accompanying text is pretty pedestrian. (Even that by Dody Thompson, Edwards last assistant and Brett's wife #?, adds nothing new to the Weston legend.)
It's amazing to realize that the entire book is based on one young couple's collection, which wasn't even begun until the '80s. As you would expect from such a large private collection, it is a mile wide and only inches deep, but the stuff they've got is really first class Weston. The reproduction of Pepper #30 is every bit as luminous as my silver print. There are several images which I'd never seen before, including many from his very early work.
Michael and Paula have certainly done themselves proud with this one!

Chad Jarvis
21-Jul-2004, 14:26
Tim...I meant the reproductions, not the originals.

Chad Jarvis
21-Jul-2004, 14:42
The book due out in September will be comprised of alternative process prints (first volume is platinum, but this is not indicative of future content) and essays in letterpress bound in linen. Not a nuts and bolts book by any stretch. Instead it will focus on alternative process prints with text about photographic history, arts, collecting and critique. I can't go into much detail for at least a few more days, but I would say that it will be the most interesting publication in the book arts since perhaps Stieglitz' Camera Work. Very limited editions.

tim atherton
21-Jul-2004, 14:46
"Tim...I meant the reproductions, not the originals"

there was meant to be a smiley in there :-)

Mind you, I'm sure Eddie would be right into printing on his Epson 4000 were he around today (could have saved himeslf from getting ALtzheimers from all those nasty chemicals too...)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :-)

Chad Jarvis
21-Jul-2004, 15:17
Exactly. I keep saying that pyro killed him. No one's buying it, though. ; )

Michael A.Smith
22-Jul-2004, 03:18
Someone asked about the reproduction process: 600-line screen quadtone and tritone plus two-color (also in 600-line screen) for Weston's early prints.

We received the first books only last Thursday and already the edition of 3,000 is over 1/3 sold out. We worked like dogs getting these books (and four others that arrived at the same time) out because last night we left for Iceland.)

To Domenic: obviously you know nothing about Lodima Press: After publishing our own books in 2000 we next published Richard Copeland Miller and this year have also published Peter Elliston. Ever heard of them? These books are in addition to our "Lodima Press Portfolio Books."

Information about all of our books can be found at http://www.lodimapress.com

Michael A. Smith

Bill_1856
22-Jul-2004, 06:10
MIchael, I know you were concerned that "EW A Legacy" would overshadow your book with its snappier high contrast and deeper black reproductions. You can stop worrying -- you win, hands down!