PDA

View Full Version : Doran Developing tank by Doran enterprises inc.

andrea milano
14-Jul-1999, 04:27
Dear Contributors, collegues and friends,

I bought a Doran tank some time ago and yesterday, I finally got to test it. Wel l there are many good points to it but I was not impressed by a couple of things and I would like to exchange Ideas with other users before I decide what to do with the damn thing! The tank appeals to me for a number of reasons, to start with the number of film s (12) and the adjustable capabilities which allow its use with any size of cut film. When I developed my films I found that the chemicals are bound to leak out the t ank because of the very method of agitation unless this has to be carried out wi th micrometic shifts of the tank.By the way, the instruction aren't really clear about this because I understood I had to move"energically"(I took this "cum gra no salis", about 20 agitations per cycle, since the chemicals would have been ev erywhere otherwise)the tank for 10 seconds per minute horizontally(left-right-ri ght-left) and not vertically(away fromyoursef-toward yoursef) as this would have (according to the instructions) dislodged the films inside the tank. In any case my negatives were well developed(density-wise) but on the sides(long side) show one or two darker irregular(+ -) stripes, indicating uneven developement.I don' t think it could be light streaks even though the constuction of the tank doesn' t make me feel so very sure about it. I already had the plesure to receive instr uctions about how to use this tank from two contributors. Now I would like to le arn how to use it properly. Thank you for your help. Andrea Milano w.f.p.a. see the W.F.P.A. site at http://www.johndesq.com, ENJOY!

monty simmonds
18-May-2002, 16:32
hi andrea; that was a long time ago. I'm setting up a darkroom after 40 years away from the hobby. I'm using most of my old equipment in the 4x5 cut film format, and debating what to use for cut film development. Did you ever solve the problem of the Doran tank? Was it the45-cpf model or the cf.45? Or did you find a better way? Would appreciate advice.

Monty

Gerald-LF
20-Aug-2010, 03:55
Dear Contributors, collegues and friends,

I bought a Doran tank some time ago and yesterday, I finally got to test it. Wel l there are many good points to it but I was not impressed by a couple of things and I would like to exchange Ideas with other users before I decide what to do with the damn thing! The tank appeals to me for a number of reasons, to start with the number of film s (12) and the adjustable capabilities which allow its use with any size of cut film. When I developed my films I found that the chemicals are bound to leak out the t ank because of the very method of agitation unless this has to be carried out wi th micrometic shifts of the tank.By the way, the instruction aren't really clear about this because I understood I had to move"energically"(I took this "cum gra no salis", about 20 agitations per cycle, since the chemicals would have been ev erywhere otherwise)the tank for 10 seconds per minute horizontally(left-right-ri ght-left) and not vertically(away fromyoursef-toward yoursef) as this would have (according to the instructions) dislodged the films inside the tank. In any case my negatives were well developed(density-wise) but on the sides(long side) show one or two darker irregular(+ -) stripes, indicating uneven developement.I don' t think it could be light streaks even though the constuction of the tank doesn' t make me feel so very sure about it. I already had the plesure to receive instr uctions about how to use this tank from two contributors. Now I would like to le arn how to use it properly. Thank you for your help. Andrea Milano w.f.p.a. see the W.F.P.A. site at http://www.johndesq.com, ENJOY!
Hello Andrea,
I have a Doran Developing Tank also and I "almost" made the common mistake with the liquid measurements.
On the Doran Tank instructions it states the tank capacity as 52oz (fluid ounces) -- Remember that measurement is in US Fluid Ounces -- If you use Imperial fluid ounces you will over-fill the tank and it will spill out.
Agitating the tank must be done very gently, moving the tank around 5cm in the direction which will allow the liquid to pass between the film and not splash against its flat surface. I held the tank in my fingers over the kitchen sink and gently moved it just enough to cause movement in the liquid.
I have just used my tank for the first time and I am very pleased with it, not only with the tank but with the fact that the lens on my Graflex is working ok!!

Let me know how you got on.

Regards

Ger