PDA

View Full Version : Ebay film camera categories???

will92234
7-Aug-2013, 15:10
Hope this is the right place for this question. For years I've searched eBay for film cameras using their "type" filters such as slr, rangefinder, large format, etc.

It's been several months since I've searched in this manner, and I am unable to figure out where these filters are now kept. The filters appear under lenses, but not cameras. Can't seem to find any direction within eBay or Google searches. Any thoughts? Thanks.

fecaleagle
7-Aug-2013, 15:18
The categories under Cameras & Photo are not as specific as they (apparently) once were. You're pretty much limited to "Cameras & Photo > Film Photography". I generally just search under Cameras & Photo to cast a broad enough net to find everything relevant. A lot of sellers are not knowledgeable enough to classify the camera type anyway, and I would assume that's eBay's thinking in getting rid of those categories. Anyway, it does require wading through a bit more results, but it's probably better than missing out on something due to a seller listing something under the incorrect camera "type."

I would just use "slr", "rangefinder", or "4x5" in the search field under Cameras & Photo. Seems to do a pretty good job of filtering the results for me. :)

Rick A
7-Aug-2013, 15:20
Try using this link:

http://www.ebay.com/electronics/camera-photo

Click on "all catagories"

Dan Fromm
7-Aug-2013, 15:30
Will, complain. At the bottom of the page you'll find the question "Was this search helpful?" Click on "No" and they'll give you the opportunity to explain. Explain. And do it every time you search and don't like their options.

By the way, I've been lazy and have been selecting camera types field camera and large format; losing the opportunity to filter on camera type stung. I now use this search criterion ("large format", 6x9, "2 1/4 x 3 1/4", 4x5, "4 x 5") -canon -fisheye and find that it turns up the usual plus a few items that the camera type large format filter missed.

What drives me bats is that now the default sort order is "best match". This makes no sense when using their filters.

Rick the problem is in the "Film cameras" section, not in the lenses section. Go figure.

Sudekeye
7-Aug-2013, 15:53
I too, have had noticed the problem. I believe it happened about two weeks ago. I called and complained to "Ricky", but got no where. About two days ago it was back - briefly. Now it is gone again. Maybe it's a software issue. There is a 'line' somewhere that asks - "how are we doing?" perhaps we should let them know. Trying to filter through 38,000 cameras isn't a lot of fun.

Brian Ellis
8-Aug-2013, 07:55
I just bookmark this address and it brings up the large format section of ebay "film cameras." Of course there are things in there other than large format cameras but that's always been the case AFAIK.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Film-Cameras-/15230/i.html?_dmpt=Film_Cameras&_fln=1&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282&Type=Large%2520Format

IanG
8-Aug-2013, 08:18
Ebay comes with many portals depending on the country although it's one common database. User name and password are the same as are the watched items etc. What doesn't help is the different portals use different ways to categorise and these don't always map across.

The .co.uk portal has dropped some categories making it much harder to just search for LF equipment. I search on ebay.com, .co.uk, .de for some harder to find items. The US portal is the better one but not when looking for items in Britain/EU.

Ian

rknewcomb
8-Aug-2013, 09:27
They did change something about a week or so ago. I can not browse the large format cameras anymore. Under film photography there are only brands and not camera types ie: large format, medium format etc. I have filled out the "what do you think" link at the bottom of the page several times but I doubt Ebay is "listening"
I wish they would just leave it alone.....!

DrTang
8-Aug-2013, 10:14
I just want them to put the page numbers on the top as well as the bottom

will92234
8-Aug-2013, 11:01
Thank you everybody. Nice to know that it isn't an issue of my stupidity or worse yet... senility :)

will92234
8-Aug-2013, 11:12
Arrghhh! I just did some browsing under film cameras on eBay, and the "camera type" filter was present in the left sidebar. Go figure. Thanks again.

Dan Fromm
8-Aug-2013, 12:21
Not for me it isn't. eBay loves you best! Waaaah!

Vaughn
8-Aug-2013, 13:06
Using a category as broad as just "large format" has it's own problems. They used to do so, and a third of the stuff that came up was medium format because the sellers check the "large format" box when listing it.

I believe some of that was due to ebay not having a MF catagory in some countries.

Moopheus
8-Aug-2013, 15:41
Also slightly weird is that "vintage" is not under "film photography" even though most of the stuff in that category is for film photography.

IanG
9-Aug-2013, 12:15
Also slightly weird is that "vintage" is not under "film photography" even though most of the stuff in that category is for film photography.

And quite modern cameras are called Vintage . . . . . .

It's a bit of a mess at the moment.

Ian

Martin Dake
9-Aug-2013, 15:30
They should have a category called RARE for the guy who keeps posting old Kodak paper all as Rare or Super Rare.

Gerry Miller
10-Aug-2013, 09:45
Over the last 2 weeks, I have juggled between 2 computers and 3 browsers; Firefox, Google Chrome and IE. The category format was switching back and forth from the original categories to brand only. Now stuck on brand only. I have called customer support twice and gotten no definite answer. Just sent a No it didn't, "Did this help?" form. I thought it was a problem of my making. Frustrating!!

Gerry

neil poulsen
11-Aug-2013, 12:28
Just got a heads up to this thread and had started my (now deleted) own . . .

This has to be a bug, or at least a slip-up. Note that, for selling, all works well. Going to the "Sell an Item" menu option, selecting the following category:

Cameras & Photo > Film Photography > Film Cameras,

and advancing to where one can complete the form, add photos, etc., selecting "TYPE = Large Format" is still an option.

But for browsing, navigating to the exact same category as above . . .

Cameras & Photo > Film Photography > Film Cameras,

the "TYPE=Large Format" filter is not an available option, as has been discussed above.

This absolutely does not make sense!

I called EBay about this, and the technician logged into my user account as if it were me, and she informed me that the TYPE filter was available to her for browsing. She suggested that it must be my computer, but submitted the issue to EBay programmers none-the-less. It made an impression on her that the "TYPE=Large Format" filter was available for selling, but not for browsing (for me) in the exact same category.

CALL TO ARMS! Maybe the resolution to this is for enough EBay users to call EBay and complain, describing this problem as a bug, and pointing out that all works well for selling, but not for browsing. Mention that it's happening to multiple EBay users.

To call EBay, go to Customer Support, select "Contact EBay", then select "Buying", and follow up with "Finding Items to Buy" in the list that appears. You'll then be given the option "Call Us" to call EBay. They give you a code that can be entered after dialing the phone number that's provided.

This bug really downgrades the use of EBay for LF'ers. It might be possible to get this problem corrected. I will call again and point out that this is happening to multiple EBay users. It's to EBay's advantage, as well as our own, that this problem gets fixed.

IanG
11-Aug-2013, 12:37
These changes on Ebay have made it more likely that people will buy & sell on forums like this one and APUG etc, I preferto buy/sell o away from ebay but then you can always.

Ian

Brian Ellis
11-Aug-2013, 16:31
Neil - This link will take you directly to the ebay LF section for browsing.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Film-Cameras...rge%2520Format

Dan Fromm
11-Aug-2013, 16:37
Worked very poorly for me. I'm using Firefox 23.0. What are you using?

neil poulsen
11-Aug-2013, 21:28
Neil - This link will take you directly to the ebay LF section for browsing.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Film-Cameras...rge%2520Format

I tried this, but had no luck. Wonder if it's the ellipses? Maybe, something's left out?

Thanks, Neil