PDA

View Full Version : Fotoman Professional - We're still here

Fotoman Professional
7-Aug-2013, 00:06
After reading through a significant number of threads I have found that many users are still under the impression that Fotoman (Fotoman Cameras, Fotoman Professional and/or Fotoman) has dissolved. We've weathered the economic downturn in 2008 and "Were back." This return was announced at press conference delivered at Photokina last year and many of you may have received email messages informing you of our promotions. Right now we have a “Summer Promotion” running until the end of August, our Accessories are all on sale and our “Dmax” technical camera (maximum format 6x12) is on sale. Check out our website for further details www.fotoman.cc .

We’ve slimmed down our product range to what you see below:

Medium Format

Fotoman Dmini – a nice little 6x4.5/6x6 camera that can accept a film or digital back

Fotoman 69HPS – a 6x9 camera that accepts horseman film backs

Technical Camera

Fotoman Dmax – our 6x12 camera with vertical shift movements for the lens and lateral shift movement for the back. This product can accept film backs from 6x6 to 6x12 and all brands of medium format digital backs.

Panoramic

Fotoman 617 – A popular camera for panoramic photographers and a quick internet search will render several very good reviews.

Fotoman 624 – This unique format is special to Fotoman as there are little to no other manufactures of this format.

Large Format

Fotoman 45SPS – This handheld 4x5 is light weight and easy to use. It provides vertical shift movement of the lens and the standard international back.

Fotoman 810PS – In the same vein as all other Fotoman products the 810PS is simple and easy to use. The back uses simple slide in back. No need to fight the heavy springs of an international back while changing film if you’re hand holding.

If you have any question I will be happy to address them here or through email at sales@fotoman.cc

yaal
22-Sep-2013, 15:54
I have been using Fotoman 617 for sometime now and i am rather pleased with it. I like the flexibilty and affordability it offers.
I did however make some modifications to the camera overtime. I have created a post about it here:
www.panorama.yaalherman.com/en/upgrading-fotoman-617-panoramic-camera/ (http://panorama.yaalherman.com/en/upgrading-fotoman-617-panoramic-camera/)

gregmo
22-Sep-2013, 20:54
Nice work on the adjustments. I agree that a tripod mounting foot is needed on long cones. I'm surprised it isn't add by fotoman in manufacturing.
I strongly considered fotoman's 617 but ended up purchasing a gaoersi because it offered shift which was very important to me. I remember fotoman had planned to add shift, but it never manifested.
I did purchase a viewfinder from fotoman and it was a smooth/ good transaction.

Fotoman Professional
23-Sep-2013, 00:16
Nice work on the adjustments. I agree that a tripod mounting foot is needed on long cones. I'm surprised it isn't add by fotoman in manufacturing.
I strongly considered fotoman's 617 but ended up purchasing a gaoersi because it offered shift which was very important to me. I remember fotoman had planned to add shift, but it never manifested.
I did purchase a viewfinder from fotoman and it was a smooth/ good transaction.

This should be good news for many and that is that we are in the process of redesigning to add shift adapters to both 617 and 624. We are not in production yet but if there is a significant amount of interest we will make a production run.

yaal
24-Sep-2013, 00:34
This should be good news for many and that is that we are in the process of redesigning to add shift adapters to both 617 and 624. We are not in production yet but if there is a significant amount of interest we will make a production run.

I personally would be very much interested in a shift adapter (i know there was one in the past), but i am not sure what it would mean in terms of switching and adjusting lens cones.
If i am not mistaken the previous shift adapter replaced a 15mm back spacer, while my 80mm Apo-Symmar uses a 10mm back spacer... Maybe switching to 90mm super angulon would make the shift easier?

angusparker
24-Sep-2013, 08:39
Just did a mini-review of my Fotoman 45SPS. There isn't much out on the web yet about it: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?107000-Fotoman-45SPS-mini-review

George Hart
24-Sep-2013, 12:45
Fotoman Professional is in my opinion a cracker outfit! I have no connection with them other than as a satisfied customer. I have a Fotoman 69 camera from the previous Fotoman vintage and the "new" firm have recently furnished me with a 35 mm HFM (helical focus mount), and have given excellent attention to the required screws, lens tool etc to enable me to fit the mount to the lens cone that I had previously acquired, and to fit a new Apo-Sironar digital 35/4.5 lens to the front end. The result is superb, and I can say that these folk will not rest until your requirements are met.

In my opinion they deserve more attention than they get in the MF/LF media. Their website is slow and dysfunctional. Their pics are stiff and stylized, usually in front-back or left-right planes only, which give no "feel" for their cameras as to what they look like in the hand, or how they respond to being picked up and used. They need lots more pics, quickly accessible, with hands-on shots. And also people who are prepared to say what they can do with their cameras.

I have 4 cone/HFM assemblies for my 69 body, and I guess that few in the world have some or any of them, with the following lenses: Rodenstock 35/4.5, Schneider 58XL, Schneider 75/5.6, Commercial Congo 90/3.5. Interchangeable backs, Voigtländer viewfinders for each of the lenses, bullet-proof body frame, beats 6x7 rangefinders on aspect ratio and durability, so long as you can meter separately (Pentax digital spotmeter) and have a Fotoman rangefinder accessory for close focus. One day I might have time to post a review of the kit and how I use it, if anyone would find it useful.

George

Fotoman Professional
25-Sep-2013, 00:39
I personally would be very much interested in a shift adapter (i know there was one in the past), but i am not sure what it would mean in terms of switching and adjusting lens cones.
If i am not mistaken the previous shift adapter replaced a 15mm back spacer, while my 80mm Apo-Symmar uses a 10mm back spacer... Maybe switching to 90mm super angulon would make the shift easier?

Yaal,

Yes, it was a 15mm spacer that the shift adapter displaced. We are working on te design now and if interest is there we will run prodcution.

jeroldharter
25-Sep-2013, 08:33
Not sure that "cracker outfit" is great praise in the US! Pretty funny.

Matus Kalisky
5-Feb-2014, 04:56
Is it still possible to get a 612 Fotoman camera (not the Dmax one)?

Regular Rod
5-Feb-2014, 05:47
What happened to the proposal to build and supply whole plate film holders?

RR

Sal Santamaura
5-Feb-2014, 09:48
What happened to the proposal to build and supply whole plate film holders?...Oren Grad and I evaluated the prototype whole plate holder which Fotoman built. It was made from a mold developed by taking impressions of an actual Toyo 8x10 holder. The prototype suffered from that approach, exhibiting edges that weren't crisp and being out of dimensional tolerance for multiple parameters. It was too narrow to accept a sheet of film. It wouldn't seat in my Ebony's back. And, even with the prototype's plastic dark slides (metal -- heavier -- were intended for the production version), it weighed 17 ounces.

After that, Paul Droluk returned from China to the US and, for whatever reason(s), Fotoman abandoned the idea.

Regular Rod
5-Feb-2014, 10:16
Ah! I see know. Thank you.

RR

Manuel Ruiz
16-Feb-2016, 13:58
Anyone know if the cones of the new Fotoman 69 HPS are compatible with its predecessor Fotoman 69 PS?